Sign in to follow this  
Stosh2

The Druid

The Druid card says that he receives his full complement of spells when he lands in a woods space.

When exactly does he receive the spells?  At the end of his turn?  Right when he lands there before doing anything else (draw a card, encounter existing card, encounter a character)?

Had a heated discussion last night during a five-player game.  Would appreciate input and/or a rules clarification.

Thanks,

Stosh

I used the Druid the other night and that Woods spell-replenishment was a big help in my come from behind victory to kill the Monk who was at the Crown of Command.

I was replenishing spells when I landed there, before drawing Adventure cards.

In most situations where rules are not otherwise explicit, or an alternative order is not stated on the character card, encountering the space always comes first. I know this applied to picking up anything left on a space or facing another character present there in previous editions. If you found no rules that say otherwise in 4th edition, then assume this remains the same.

Encounters are always present before you arrive, whether they are already there or drawn from the deck. The Druid does not have any stated ability to put the world on hold while he loads up first. He faces what's waiting, like all other characters, and if he's still there at the end with idle time he can do as he pleases.

8janek8 said:

What about Hex Spell?

As state on the spell, if it is in place when a character lands the affected space, that character "immediately" loses a life before all else (just like with the Desert).

If you are talking about the Druid casting itit must be cast at the start of its turn, which means before it moves (to Woods or elsewhere).

JCHendee said:
"[...] a character "immediately" loses a life before all else (just like with the Desert)."

Even if  character decides to encounter other character? The Turn Encounter Sequence dictates something else... Is it anywhere in the rulebook?

Is there any other spaces where we face problem like this?

He recieves his spells first. As soon as he arrives. But remember, you can only cast as many spells as you possessed when the your turn BEGINS. So while the full book of spells will perhaps offer some better choice, if you only had one before arriving you can still only cast 1. And if you had zero, well that fancy new scroll set will be of no use to you this turn!  The Woods give nature boy an advantage, but not a full book of instantly all usuable spells ;)

Stosh said:

The Druid card says that he receives his full complement of spells when he lands in a woods space.

When exactly does he receive the spells?  At the end of his turn?  Right when he lands there before doing anything else (draw a card, encounter existing card, encounter a character)?

I am not really sure how based on that text you could come to any conclusion other than 'Right when he lands there before doing anything else'

ozjesting said:

He recieves his spells first. As soon as he arrives.

Where is this written? I find no nothing on it in 4th standard.  There are many problems with Talisman (since its earliest editions) where wording is concerned, or worse, wording is contradictory to what is listed elsewhere when interpreted in certain rare situations. In general, the past rule has always been that the encounter comes first. If Adv. cards are to be drawn (based on none there or not enough) then that happens before all else, including benefits and encountering other characters.

The logic of the Hex is different. Try thinking of it less as a card and more as a Hex (curse) upon the space itself; the card is merely there as a reminder that the space itself has been changed.  A character landing on that space is landing on a space (not a card). Even so, the Hex card is explicit on when the life is lost.

The Druid would lose a life before even magically or mystically gaining a fist full of new spells. If the Druid can gain these spells versus what is written on that card (or in the rules), then its against game logic... but it wouldn't be the first such contradiction or confusion. But I'll wait for proof or something in writing on that.

jadrax said:

Stosh said:

I am not really sure how based on that text you could come to any conclusion other than 'Right when he lands there before doing anything else'

If that's an exact quote from the revised card then I'd say we have another contradiction / conundrum inserted into the game/ And even so, my reasoning on the rarity of the Hex being thrown on a woods square the Druid encounters still stands.  The rarer issue here is the unique possibility that the Druid is on his last life. If a healing spell was next in the Spell deck, does he die first or get the spell first?

He's dead; active card for losing a life takes precedence over inactive card yet to be drawn. The Druid must land on the Woods first to get his spell, aside from the issue of whether or not to deal with Adventure cards first. The Hex card isn't even really there; its a marker for how the space itself has been changed. Even if the draw of spells (including Healing) occurred at the same instant to the loss of a last life, a dead character can't cast a spell against one that is already active... against the effect of having to step on the square before gaining any new spells.

Any other approach to this logic requires an explicit errata or FAQ ruling. Otherwise its just a preference as to which card is favored (character or spell/space) in interpretation. That requires a house rule which everyone playing agrees to; the solution to this is so far not implied in any one card over another. House rules aren't always about changing rules; many are about plugging holes and settling situational contradictions in the rules.

In summary, the Druid may gain his full complement of Spells when he IMMEDIATELY lands on a Woods space, before he encounters anything else in the space. The Hex Spell forms a card for the space remember, so it is deemed to be an encounter for the space. So in this case also, the Druid receives his Spells before he loses a life to the Hex Spell.

What happens if the Druid lands on a Wood space, replenish the number of Spell to his maximum, and then

draws an adventure card that may give another Spell (ex: pay 1 gold to gain a Spell)?

Can he draw the 4°th Spell and then chooses the Spell to discard or

doesn't  he draw the 4° Spell because he has already the maximum number of Spells?

The simple solution to this is to provide a mutually agreed turn order for timing purposes. Something like:

A. BEGINNING OF TURN

Resolve any miscellaneous "At beginning of turn" spells, events and abilities.

B. MOVEMENT

B1. Roll die

B2. Choose space

B3. Land on space (triggers all game effects which occur due to movement, Hex spell, Druid power etc)

C. ENCOUNTERS

C1. Encounter Character

C2. Encounter Space

D. END OF TURN

Resolve any miscellaneous "At the end of your turn"  events etc such as movement of the Reaper.

kery said:

What happens if the Druid lands on a Wood space, replenish the number of Spell to his maximum, and then

draws an adventure card that may give another Spell (ex: pay 1 gold to gain a Spell)?

doesn't  he draw the 4° Spell because he has already the maximum number of Spells?

Depends on the rules you are using.

In the standard rules, I believe he would replenish his spells to maximum by landing on the Woods space. Any further effects which give him spells would be wasted.

However, we play with the house rule that if you are ever given a spell, you may discard one first before drawing a new one (sight unseen).

That's actually a cool house rule, letting you discard useless spells, butgiving you no certainty that the new one will be any better. I'll try and import it into my next game :)

That's actually a cool house rule, letting you discard useless spells, butgiving you no certainty that the new one will be any better. I'll try and import it into my next game :)

Druid can already spell-cycle at a decent rate, no need to quicken it.

On a side note, Priest + Blade Sharp can be a real pain. BS is castable when you are about to enter battle to give one of your weapons +2 for that battle (or was it until end of turn, doesn't really matter). But Priest can't use weapons. I guess he'll need to carry around a Weapon, cast BS on the weapon just as he's about to enter battle to get rid of the spell, even though he won't benefit from it in anyway.

Dam said:

Druid can already spell-cycle at a decent rate, no need to quicken it.

We also play "Always have a spell" abilities do not refresh until the beginning of your turn.

I mean if you can get Craft to 6, you'll be holding 3 Spells, most likely casting 2 or all 3 before next landing in Woods (Druid + Teleport/Magic Carpet/Poltergeist = eeek). Last time Druid was in a game, he single-handedly went through half the Spell deck in about 10 turns. Since Druid with Craft 6 will draw up to 3 spells each time he lands in Woods.

dth said:

kery said:

Depends on the rules you are using.

In the standard rules, I believe he would replenish his spells to maximum by landing on the Woods space. Any further effects which give him spells would be wasted.

ok thank you, so is this the OFFICIAL rule?

Kerry:

You may draw another spell( if you can buy one etc, and then you must choose to discard one, because you have more spells than your craft permits.