• Guest of Honor (Core Set, 51)
• Niten Master (Core Set, 64)
• Young Rumormonger (Core Set, 101)
• Rebuild (Core Set, 136)
• Mirumoto’s Fury (Core Set, 159)
• For Greater Glory (Core Set, 168)
• Forged Edict (Core Set, 184)
• Charge! (Core Set, 210)
• Pathfinder’s Blade (Imperial Cycle, 31)
• Feast or Famine (Imperial Cycle, 41)
• Policy Debate (Imperial Cycle, 40)
• A Fate Worse than Death (Imperial Cycle, 98)
• Isawa Tadaka (Disciples of the Void, 10)
• Void Fist (Elemental Cycle, 94)

Whoa! That’s a long list. On one hand, Iron Mine and Against the Waves are out of the list. On the other... Why Tadaka?!! Why?!! We all know it’s a fair and balanced card!!!

Also, duel timing has been updated, and there’s two things there: the possibility of dueling with dial bids revealed, and the possibility of more than one character per side participating on a duel. 

Composure has been added, and Copy (of a card) has been updated. 

Edited by Tabris2k

30 minutes ago, Dovla said:

Why even buy core sets when the staple cards of each clan are banned. Great design.

Getting rid of many core set cards after rotation was a big part of fixing the Netrunner card pool later in the game's life.  I don't think that's a surprised.  The core set is where they had the least experience with how people were actually playing the game.  So that's where the biggest problem cards always appear. 

In my opinion that's one of the bigger reasons they need to change the structure of how LCGs work.  The LCG core set is a problem product.  Making it an "Evergreen" product is an even worse mistake.  What to replace the core set with has been debated endless on LCG forums, but I think everyone agrees that it's one of the major problems with the format.

2 hours ago, phillos said:

Getting rid of many core set cards after rotation was a big part of fixing the Netrunner card pool later in the game's life.  I don't think that's a surprised.  The core set is where they had the least experience with how people were actually playing the game.  So that's where the biggest problem cards always appear. 

In my opinion that's one of the bigger reasons they need to change the structure of how LCGs work.  The LCG core set is a problem product.  Making it an "Evergreen" product is an even worse mistake.  What to replace the core set with has been debated endless on LCG forums, but I think everyone agrees that it's one of the major problems with the format.

FWIW FFG hasn't said anything about evergreen products in L5R thus far. With them already trying new things with the release model for this game, and the swift release of clan packs, I would not be all that surprised if when the time comes to announce rotation, the core set rotates out. 

1 hour ago, Kakita Shiro said:

What other Restricted card were you using?

Charge....and there is no way I'm dropping that.  Has too much good synergy with Reprieve.

Rebuild was a nice way to cheat back in a Shitome Encampment.  And then if my opponent gets a little fast and loose with the 5 bidding can sometimes get an sneaky win.

Not a big deal really.  Just kind of a fun little trick to have up my sleeve.  I guess it frees up some extra space for other cards now.

59 minutes ago, Kaito Kikaze said:

FWIW FFG hasn't said anything about evergreen products in L5R thus far. With them already trying new things with the release model for this game, and the swift release of clan packs, I would not be all that surprised if when the time comes to announce rotation, the core set rotates out. 

That's my hope, and considering they already did it for Netrunner I suspect it's not that bad an educated guess.  What I'm curious to see is if FFG releases another LCG, and if they do then do they continue with this core set product.

Edited by phillos

25 minutes ago, phillos said:

That's my hope, and considering they already did it for Netrunner I suspect it's not that bad an educated guess.  What I'm curious to see is if FFG releases another LCG, and if they do then do they continue with this core set product.

I would assume an updated core set in 2020 like Netrunner. Also a rotation of the first years cards would be great. Lets have a 2-3 year rotation. That seems fair/long enough.

Those are some strong reactions :)  Guest of Honor is not fun to play against.  I agree the rationale in the article was weak, but I think getting rid of a blanket denial card is a good thing.  I suspect YR is going to be a problem card going into Children.  Some of this might be them just getting ahead of problems.

38 minutes ago, Necrogoat said:

Crane is a ****** no brainer. 

But restricting Rumonger just because he does WHAT HIS TEXT SAYS is just a big ******* bull.

Rly FFG, **** youurself

Three censors in one post.
Pretty sure that means we can all ignore anything further you have to say on this matter. :P

15 minutes ago, Bayushi Shunsuke said:

Three censors in one post.
Pretty sure that means we can all ignore anything further you have to say on this matter. :P

Well, to be fair, the censorship on the forum is a little draconian. I mean, the phrase "The road to **** is paved with good intentions" gets censored as well, despite being a fairly common figure of speech that would only offend the most rabid of puritans.

Still, the context of Necrogoat's post makes it perfectly clear what he wanted to say, and getting censored there is arguably deserved.

I think the idea of a core is just not working anymore.

Have a base set that works as a 2-player intro. Do it similar to Runewars Miniatures, or X-Wing. Focus on 2 factions to play as. Add some splash cards from other factions. Make a new one each year and make it the focus of rotation, with rotation every 2 or 3 years when this new box is released.

Have balanced Intro decks for each faction, the perfect point to start in a faction. Have Clan packs to expand it further.

Remove cycles. A cycle is everything released throughout the year between the base sets. Have boxes that introduce the theme for the year, etc. Then release occasional packs over the year that expand it.

9 hours ago, Mangod said:

Well, to be fair, the censorship on the forum is a little draconian. I mean, the phrase "The road to **** is paved with good intentions" gets censored as well, despite being a fairly common figure of speech that would only offend the most rabid of puritans.

“The road to Jigoku is paved with good intentions”

Dunno what you’re talking about, it works perfectly for me. 

Edited by Tabris2k

10 hours ago, AradonTemplar said:

Interesting. Tadaka's a harsh blow to Phoenix, but he really deserved it, and Against the Waves coming off means a lot of Phoenix decks won't actually change as a result of it. Honestly, this looks a lot better for Phoenix than it did before.

Yes, but some people used Charge with Takada or other expensive Phoniex cards as well. I would prefer charge and Against the Waves than Takada (even if Takada is insane)

• Rebuild (Core Set, 136)
• Charge! (Core Set, 210)
• Feast or Famine (Imperial Cycle, 41)

FFG: "Oops, sorry Unicorn Clan, we know you just started winning, but we just can't allow that kind of thing any more. We only wanted you to be playable, not capable."