JJH_BATMAN

Poe...

What is everyones thoughts on Poe, a.k.a. Mr. 2.0 PTL. Will he make the Meta? What aces will he be flown with? Fly him fat or thin? I think he seems a little squishy. I know Resistance is out in some places, and this is just to keep me exited until Wave 2 comes out on the 13th for the US.

I flew against Heroic Poe last week, and he seems tremendous value. I almost wish I flew Resistance so I could use him!

Loaded up he's the cost of a naked Defender, which seems ridiculous. Though I hope it means the Defenders are in for a price decrease soon.

He's one of the strongest ships in the whole game. Old style PTL, multiple repositioning options, green turn options, focus locked i6 torpedoes for a similar cost to Vader? He's extremely strong.

13 minutes ago, SDCC said:

I flew against Heroic Poe last week, and he seems tremendous value. I almost wish I flew Resistance so I could use him!

Loaded up he's the cost of a naked Defender, which seems ridiculous. Though I hope it means the Defenders are in for a price decrease soon.

Seriously. The only major benefit the defender gets is the white k turn but pattern analyser can obviate that. Whereas Poe gets i6 ptl and torps which the defender can't match any of.

27 minutes ago, thespaceinvader said:

He's one of the strongest ships in the whole game. Old style PTL, multiple repositioning options, green turn options, focus locked i6 torpedoes for a similar cost to Vader? He's extremely strong.

Seriously. The only major benefit the defender gets is the white k turn but pattern analyser can obviate that. Whereas Poe gets i6 ptl and torps which the defender can't match any of.

I don't know about "only major benefit". They've got an extra shield, +1 AGILITY, a free evade after many moves, full access to both B.roll and boost without sacrificing their offense by closing foils, AND access to Adv. Sensors. 

Poe can BB8 twice for the same cost as Sensors.  

Better make it count.

Also, Pattern A. Is restricted to proccing WHILE YOU PERFORM A RED MANUEVER. 

Sensors can proc before any move, aka...whenever it's most convenient. 

Yeah I missed the agility. The rest is pretty neutral - both sides have trade offs. The shield trades for a hull for instance which is a min or benefit to the defender given that the t70 can get several regen options and the defender can get none.

Edited by thespaceinvader

21 minutes ago, thespaceinvader said:

Yeah I missed the agility. The rest is pretty neutral - both sides have trade offs. The shield trades for a hull for instance which is a min or benefit to the defender given that the t70 can get several regen options and the defender can get none.

Or put it this way if you paid the premium to get Vessery up to i6 he'd be 100 odd points. And he still wouldn't be able to do focus locked torps.

49 minutes ago, SOTL said:

I still think he's a little overcosted.  He's very good but he costs A LOT.

Agreed. I’d rather play the 2 I5 T-70. They look costed more competitively. And Hello Nasty has a really nice ability too.

Of course, Poe the limit is the Endboss, he can easily put 2 fully modded torps into someone, and even an HLC plus BB astro seems legit to get the bullseye...

Poe looks great, but i suspect people are going to spend way to many points on him. This is not 1.0, a 100 point Poe will die about as fast as a 70 point Poe. I've been keeping him in the 70-80 point range (R4, title, choice of talent - pred, heroic, gambit, etc). if you have the points, proton torps will be amazing on him of course.

If you keep them cheap, you can run budget Poe, Rey, and Tallie with plenty of room for upgrades (which is my current resistance squad).

5 hours ago, thespaceinvader said:

4 hours ago, thespaceinvader said:

Focus/Evade on 3 dice is big.  It's way better than Regen as there's no limit to the number of times you can use it, it doesn't take an action, and it doesn't stop you from firing.

1 hour ago, TeamPlatypus said:

If you keep them cheap, you can run budget Poe, Rey, and Tallie with plenty of room for upgrades (which is my current resistance squad).

I'm interested to see a budget build I'm happy with at a baseline of 183, I'm interested in any budget builds with those three.

1 minute ago, Cgriffith said:

I see. That is thin, looks functional too. It may work. 

I see it working well in Hyperspace, but getting curb-stomped in extended. I'm sure that that is the theme of the Resistance until the game expands up a bit.

I think L'ulo will be a better option than Tallie to get more red dice.  I think naked Rey might be more than a meme.

Rey (80)

Poe Dameron (68)
Heroic (1)
R4 Astromech (2)
Integrated S-Foils (0)
Ferrosphere Paint (6)
Black One (2)

L'ulo L'ampar (38)
Crack Shot (1)
Heroic (1)

Total: 199

View in Yet Another Squad Builder 2.0

1 minute ago, gennataos said:

I think L'ulo will be a better option than Tallie to get more red dice.  I think naked Rey might be more than a meme.

Rey (80)

Poe Dameron (68)
Heroic (1)
R4 Astromech (2)
Integrated S-Foils (0)
Ferrosphere Paint (6)
Black One (2)

L'ulo L'ampar (38)
Crack Shot (1)
Heroic (1)

Total: 199

View in Yet Another Squad Builder 2.0

YOU CAN'T RUN HEROIC WITHOUT HAVING THE CARD ART'S PILOT IN THE LIST! WE DON'T CARE IF L'ULO IS OBVIOUSLY BETTER!

5 minutes ago, player3010587 said:

I see it working well in Hyperspace, but getting curb-stomped in extended. I'm sure that that is the theme of the Resistance until the game expands up a bit.

Yeah, in Hyperspace this seems very formiable. I wonder if it's better to go fuller loadouts on Rey/Poe and run two ships or run a skinny three, my only hesitation is Poe can get very expensive (Defender expensive if) you wanted, then obviously you'd get Rey with all her toys too. Is that better than a Rey/Poe/Tallie list, I guess both will need to be flown a lot to compare each lists effectiveness and weigh the cost to production of each ship.

@gennataos can you honestly share the naked Rey thought/analysis, obviously running her at 80 helps any other ship in the list but Finn seems so important to her, now a naked Rey with Tallie gives you that extra ship plus the situational extra dice if Tallie does her job when she flanks. 

Edited by Cgriffith

5 hours ago, SDCC said:

I really don't understand the argument for cheaper Defenders.  Still haven't lost with Delta/Delta/OGP(Palp); putting another 3 wins up in a 10 person tournament on Saturday.

Maybe this is because I fly the cheapest Deltas, and not loaded aces, but still.  Defenders are solid ships.  They're also easy enough to use that I don't mind if they have a bit of a tax on them (I don't really think Deltas do, but maybe the aces), like Luke Skywalker Gunner.

37 minutes ago, Biophysical said:

Focus/Evade on 3 dice is big.  It's way better than Regen as there's no limit to the number of times you can use it, it doesn't take an action, and it doesn't stop you from firing.

It's also predicated on a limited set of moves people have been learning to predict VERY effectively for 3+ years. There's trade offs for everything.

And none of it obviate the fact that Vessery is 20 points more than Poe...

3 minutes ago, Cgriffith said:

@gennataos can you honestly share the naked Rey thought/analysis, obviously running her at 80 helps any other ship in the list but Finn seems so important to her, now a naked Rey with Tallie gives you that extra ship plus the situational extra dice if Tallie does her job when she flanks. 

Just trying out everything, haven't put anything on the table yet.  She's still a 11 health ship with two force, a bowtie turret and boost (albeit red).  I think over committing on her pilot ability will be a trap without title and possibly engine.  It's still okay to kite or strafe with her like any other falcon.  Meanwhile, it's hopeful that L'ulo's conditional extra red die makes up the difference in damage you'd miss with Finn, also at the same pilot initiative.  This also give me room for Poe to take the "paint", making him a less desirable target.  If I can trade Rey for whatever Poe would struggle against, then I've probably got a big lead.

This is why these forums are trash for competitive analyses.

In just one page of responses, you've got people saying Poe is terrible, Poe is ridiculously powerful, that Poe should be flown nearly naked, or that Poe should be loaded with five or six upgrades, including torpedoes.

This basically sums up competitive analyses done by these forums.  You know how to find out who good a list really is in the competitive game?  Read the threads about tournament results.  You know who never post opinions or analyses about ships/pilots/upgrades on these boards?  The top players of the game.  They either keep quiet or discuss the issues with their inner circle of playing partners or else hash stuff out on other groups, like the Mynock FB Group.

Asking these forums for an assessment of something's competitive worth in X-Wing is like asking the American Public about the latest techniques in genetically modified agriculture--85% of them don't even know that tomatoes naturally have DNA in them...