Kimichilover

Ready and fight

Ok player 1 plays brobnar and plays. A creature. Player 2 has no creatures. So player 1 plays or activates an ability that says ready and fight with a creature  if your opponent  has non. Can you play this spell or activate. The artifact and then reap cause your opponent  has no creatures 

So much easier with concrete examples, so I'll try to provide some, and hope they apply to your case. If not, please feel free to clarify. 
Player 2 has no creatures in their battleline.
Player 1 has called Brobnar for their turn.
Player 1 plays Firespitter:

341_32_PVV2WC6R6QWP_en.png

Firespitter enter play exhausted.
Player 1 then plays Anger:
341_1_7C854VPW72RH_en.png

Player 1 readies Firespitter, doing as much as they can, but they are unable to fight, as Player 2 has no creatures as a valid target.
Anger is now resolved.
Firespitter, having been readied by Anger, can now be used to reap, since it is a ready card in the active house.

Hi

Interesting I been playing Gauntlet of Command all this time and I could've been reaping?, when nothing is around to fight of course...makes sense since one of the rules is to do what the card reads to the best of the situation, example: Three Fates- Destroy the 3 most powerful creatures, sometime you only can destroy 1 or 2:P

LOL Sidenote: Did anyone else initially mistake reading  the phrase ''Ready and fight with a friendly creature'' as fighting one of your own?

cheers

3 minutes ago, Kimichilover said:

But it shouldn't work this way right cause theres no targets. 

If you have no enemy creatures to fight, you can’t fight...so this is where any “ready and fight” effect stops, you now have a readied creature and the effect is done. You can now reap with this creature provided it is of your active house. I’ve had it happen three times now where people wanted to use anger or gauntlet of command on non-Brobnar creature and then try to convince me they could reap with that creature “because that is how anger works if there is no one to fight” (it is not!)

3 minutes ago, Kimichilover said:

I dont believe  that's how it should work. But what ever

This isn't magic. It's a game with cards shuffled into random decks. It is a design principle that spells don't fizzle very often. Under card abilities:

When resolving a card ability, resolve as much of the ability as can be
resolved, and ignore the rest. Unless otherwise specified by the ability,
the active player makes all decisions while resolving an ability.

You need a target to cast upgrades (it has to attach to a creature to be considered in play), but you don't need a target for anything else. Creatures come into play and then the play ability resolves as above. Action cards resolve as above, and then are discarded. The only "cost", outside of a few specific cards that directly contradict this through the golden rule, is the opportunity cost of not playing other cards, or having the effect do something that hurts you (such lost in the woods sometimes shuffling in your own creatures - note that you can still play lost in the woods if you don't have creatures to avoid this cost)

22 hours ago, Palpster said:

If you have no enemy creatures to fight, you can’t fight...so this is where any “ready and fight” effect stops, you now have a readied creature and the effect is done. You can now reap with this creature provided it is of your active house. I’ve had it happen three times now where people wanted to use anger or gauntlet of command on non-Brobnar creature and then try to convince me they could reap with that creature “because that is how anger works if there is no one to fight” (it is not!)

Just to clarify these scenarios:

A)So if I had a Gauntlet out and I fought the only other creature with my Brobnar, killed it, than I could use the Gauntlet to ''Ready and fight'' which realizes there is nothing left to fight so I merely can reap/perform an action on the card if stated?

B) I reap/perform an action with my Brobnar, activate the Gauntlet, no other creatures to fight, so I reap/ perform an action again?

C) I have a Mars creature. I choose Brobnar and use Anger or Gauntlet of Command and the mars creature can merely fight or stand around because they aren't the chosen house yet used a card that allows them to perform actions with that creature this turn?

That seems strange and overall needlessly complicated. I am not arguing but it seems like a simpler ruling to merely be able to reap/perform other action if you cannot fight  with the creature since you used a special action to enable yourself to ready and fight with a  different housed creature that turn.

Simply put: Card enables you to ready and fight with  a friendly creature of not the chosen house on your turn but it must fight, there is nothing to fight, that creature can now do something else for the turn as it has satisfied the initial criteria.

I hope this gets changed as ruling's should always make things simpler not more complicated!

23 hours ago, Kimichilover said:

I dont believe  that's how it should work. But what ever

I love pulling this out because 1) it took me forever to find it, and 2) it's perfectly stated by the developer.

The video isn't available anymore (it used to live here) but the transcript of the conversation went like this:

Alex Watkins: So I can't fight with any of my creatures [due to opponent's previously played card]

Brad Andres: You cannot fight.

AW: If something prompted my creature to fight, like say the Gauntlet [Gauntlet of Command]...

BA: You wouldn't be able to.

AW: But it would ready?

BA: It WOULD ready, because the card, as I mentioned earlier would do as much as it can.

So there you go, the effect of Anger (much like the effect of Gauntlet of Command) readies the card. You couldn't fight with it, because you had no target. You did all you could on that card. Now you may use that card to reap, since it's of the house that you called that turn. 

I have another questions about these cards. If you are targeting a creature that is already "ready", so you cannot ready it again, is it ok to just do the "fight" part? Don't know if the rule of doing all that is possible requires you to be able to do a thing before doing the next. I'd say you can do only the fight part because otherwise the wording should be more like "You may ready a creature, if you do it performs a fight action"

Edited by hithwen

22 minutes ago, hithwen said:

I have another questions about these cards. If you are targeting a creature that is already "ready", so you cannot ready it again, is it ok to just do the "fight" part? Don't know if the rule of doing all that is possible requires you to be able to do a thing before doing the next. I'd say you can do only the fight part because otherwise the wording should be more like "You may ready a creature, if you do it performs a fight action"

Yes you can target a ready creature. It doesn't ready, it does fight.

Ive seen it commented on as your doing as much of the card as possible you still try to fight and that only fizzles when you 'pick an opponents creature' to fight with and at that point there is no creature and the attack stops... But before any of this you exhaust and then move to 'Fight' reading through the rules.