Sign in to follow this  
Gibby

CC rules questions

When digesting the Corellian Conflict rules this weekend, several questions came to mind. I first tried finding the answers within the CC rules booklet itself, but either was blind to the relevant sections or look for something that wasn't there in the first place. Thinking the questions would be obvious, I tried the FAQ, google and this forum, but to no avail. Anyway here it goes. Any help is of course appreciated :). 

1. When a player/team declares an assault, can that assault be declared at a location containing a base/outpost of the same team? It appears to me that this it at least not intended (the defending team would play the defending side in a station assault game, defending base the other team wishes to self-destruct), but it does not seem to be specifically disallowed by the roles.
To answer the question why one would attack one own's base: Depending on the location of the other team's bases, one of the own team's bases may well be the highest scoring target on the map. If winning the assault wins the campaign and losing it doesn't end the campaign, then it may be preferable to attack one own's base instead of going for an all-out assault. 

2. Can refit points be supplemented with resources points to repair scarred ships or squadrons? The rules allow both to be spent on repairs, but they don't specify whether they can be mixed for the purposes of repairing one and the same ship / squad. 

3. If both teams are sufficiently close to the campaign point victory limit, who gets priority for declaring an all-out assault? I would suspect that an all-out assault is declared instead of a regular or special assault, meaning that the team who is not in the lead get to call an all-out assault first, but I couldn't find confirmation of this. 

Many thanks for your input! 

1. No, you can't assault your own base/outpost.

Lots of things aren't specifically banned by the rules - that doesn't mean it's allowed. Some level of common sense is required.

If you attack your own base... how does that work out in terms of objectives!?

2. Yes, you can mix refit/resources for repairs.

3. You declared an all-out offensive instead of declaring other assaults (p. 14). So initiative would determine who declares first if both teams are eligible.

On 12/9/2018 at 8:19 PM, Green Knight said:

1. No, you can't assault your own base/outpost.

Lots of things aren't specifically banned by the rules - that doesn't mean it's allowed. Some level of common sense is required.

If you attack your own base... how does that work out in terms of objectives!?

2. Yes, you can mix refit/resources for repairs.

3. You declared an all-out offensive instead of declaring other assaults (p. 14). So initiative would determine who declares first if both teams are eligible.

Thanks for these answers! 

To elaborate a bit on the first point: During my first time reading of the rules I thought that it could thematically make perfect sense to strike where your team is already present with a base/outpost. A planet is big, why not show some force on the the other side? My first doubts came only when reading the rules for objectives during an assault on a system containing a base/outpost (with the defending player taking being the beneficiary of one of the base defence objectives). 

Common sense is nice if you are playing with sufficiently mature friends or when farsighted enough to make clear prior agreements. In other cases I prefer having clear rules to help avoid discussions that could otherwise unnecessarily taint the play experience.  

PS: I enjoy your I have you now blog. Did you ever finish the CC campaign you blogged about before taking a break (good to see you're back at it, btw)? 

Edited by Gibby

12 minutes ago, Gibby said:

Thanks for these answers! 

To elaborate a bit on the first point: During my first time reading of the rules I thought that it could thematically make perfect sense to strike where your team is already present with a base/outpost. A planet is big, why not show some force on the the other side? My first doubts came only when reading the rules for objectives during an assault on a system containing a base/outpost (with the defending player taking being the beneficiary of one of the base defence objectives). 

Common sense is nice if you are playing with sufficiently mature friends or when farsighted enough to make clear prior agreements. In other cases I prefer having clear rules to help avoid discussions that could otherwise unnecessarily taint the play experience.  

PS: I enjoy your I have you now blog. Did you ever finish the CC campaign you blogged about before taking a break (good to see you're back at it, btw)? 

Unfortunately we never finished. The remaining 5 players did plan on finishing, but it fizzled (probably 99% my fault).

So that's yet another CC without the final assault (I've only ever played it simulated by creating 6 fleets and playing, never through finishing a campaign).

10 hours ago, Gibby said:

A couple of points here.

1) The CC ruleset is dramatically looser than the tournament rules, because the purpose is different.  The tournament rules are written to support competitive players playing in a competitive setting in which they may not have opportunity to clarify relevant rules questions ahead of time.  The CC rules are written to support a casual environment populated by players who by necessity are regular, repeat opponents, and do have time to agree on rules interpretations ahead of time.  That's not to say that the CC rules couldn't be tighter, just that the campaign ruleset doesn't require quite the same level of rigor as the core rules, because of the level of rigor of the events it's intended to support.

2) If your friends need a rigorously interpreted rules reason for why they shouldn't attack their own planets:  Page 10 Determine Battle Effects:

After an assaulting player wins a battle at a location with a base or an outpost sticker, that base or outpost is destroyed, and the opposing team places a Destroyed sticker over the existing sticker.

So, speaking as your opponent, if you want to assault your own base, while giving me a base defense advantage and gaining nothing if you win... please do?

9 hours ago, ovinomanc3r said:

I made a post that gathered several rules issues. It shoul be somewhere...

Thanks for making the FAQ. I did have a look at it when searching for an answer to Q1 (not having the others on my mind yet). I now see that it answers Q3.