Sign in to follow this  
Autosketch

Resistance Pilot cost evaluation

50 minutes ago, Stefan said:

Isn't power creep unavoidable in these games to a certain extent? I'm expecting it to be more under control since counter-measures are easier.

From wave 4 onwards that may be true, but they've got to get these 7 factions out the door first - the whole future of the game depends on it.

1 hour ago, SOTL said:

From wave 4 onwards that may be true, but they've got to get these 7 factions out the door first - the whole future of the game depends on it.

I'm kind of hoping that Clone Wars being so popular will limit the power creep somewhat. It seems that Separatists and Jedi don't have to be OP in order to sell.

17 hours ago, SOTL said:

Ok, but this shouldn't be a real problem then for now.

Alot of things are going on, with them ballooning up to 7 factions you now have internal faction balance to as well as over all game balance to consider. Right now the new factions are in an interesting place vs the established factions. Both the Resistance and First Order only have 4 ships available to them. The resistance in particular has an interesting problem because 2 of the 4 ships are large based beef cakes ( Star Fortress & YT1300) and there fore cant be very cheap just based on their durability. That leaves them with the T70 and the A-2, The T70 is a fairly durable performance fighter and again because of its moderate durability and offence it can't be too cheap, this means the A2 is the only candidate for cheap filler ship to fill in that left over 30 or 40 points in a list or to attempt to build a viable swarm list with at least 5 or 6 ships in it. I see two possible scenarios here. 1st is that as has been mentioned they have pointed out the resistance ships at the new levels based on the data they have gathered and stuff for the existing factions will be going down in the future. 2nd is that the A2 and other Resistance ships will eventually go up in points once they are no longer needed to fill certain roles for the faction. In this case once the Resistance gets its Z95/TIE Ln equivalent (Cheap filler swarm ship) the A2 will receive a points increase. The FO is in a little better spot as they have 3 Small bases to work with and they fall into roles pretty easy. The TIE FO is the cheap swarm filler ship, the TIE Sf is the mid range ship and the Silencer is the Performance super fighter while the Upsilon holds down the large base support role. Because of this you don't see any crazy point discrepancies like you do in the Resistance.

This issue will also move over to the Republic and Separatist as they are launching with only 3 ships available. Torrents and Vultures will be the Cheap swarm fillers, Bulb and Athersprites will be the performance fighters with the Infiltrator and Arc 170 being the support / durability option. I expect both the Bulb and Ather to be very aggressively priced at launch. You can assume this is all a cash grab in the lets make them OP as **** so they sell like hotcakes senario, or you can say its a we have to give these factions something to work with that lets them compete with the sheer number of choices and options the existing factions can throw at them. Otherwise these factions will die on the vine as a few people buy them but then realize they cant compete and they just get ROFL stomped by the existing factions.

The second possibility is something the X wing community has never seen because until 2.0 they did not have the ability to change ship and upgrade costs on the fly once they had let them out into the wild. Alot of other minature based war games have actually been doing this for a while now. Having seen it in action it allows game companies to adjust things on the fly. This means that once the newer factions have a larger ship pool to work with price points will change to reflect over all game balance more.

Another part of this puzzle that most people don't appreciate is the difficulty of play testing. At the end of the day play testing is a man hour problem. Lets say FFG had 500 play testers, lets say said play testers with FFG employees and full time at that. So these play tests are spending 40 hours a week doing nothing but play testing X wing 2. Lets say they spent a full year play testing X wing 2. 40 hours a week times 500 play testers is 20,000 hours of play testing a week. A year has 52 weeks but people need to take vacations, get sick, then you have major holidays like Xmas and thanksgiving etc. That will leave you with about 49 weeks of getting work done. That all equals out to 980,000 hours of play testing X wing 2. Hmm seems like alot, surely we can find all the broken combos with that right, WRONG!!! Game release happens, how many people buy X Wing 2? lets just go with 100,000 copies sold world wide. Everyone gets their kit and runs over to their FLGS and reads the rule book and plays a game with their friends. Lets say said games take an hour, BAMMM that's 100,000 hours of how do we break this game. This is at T-1 hour from the game hitting a shelf, The next day all the little gamers spend another hour pouring over their upgrades and ships and slapping different things together in list builder. Boom that's 200,000 hours or how do we break this game. So long story short you will have over 1 million hours of how do we break this game in the 1st week after launch, they only had 980,000 hours of play testing. And the how do we break this game man hour count just keeps snowballing after that. trust me if you design something and then you let a coupe thousand people spend a couple million hours trying to figure out how to beak it, they will break it.

Edited by Endureil

Im going to double down on the idea that the A-2 is properly costed simply due to how it fits into its faction as a whole. I'm actually ok with the idea of some factions having some "imbalances" in their point costs purely based on what they have available. By that I mean that Rebels have access to a ton of cheap filler ships, Empire is king of cheap filler ships,all of which are fairly fast and/or maneuverable. Resistance has no cheap filler ships or even other fast ships for that matter, they will always rely heavily on the presence of the T-70 since its the workhorse of their fleet. I think they balanced the A-2 around that concept. Which i also why I think a lot of the A-2s also got more support type abilities as well, since they are going to always be a "support" or filler ship instead of a main ship, which will always be the Falcon, the T70, or the Bomber. This is of course only contingent on the idea that they will try to keep up internal balance, which so far seems to be doing fairly well. Granted it seems weird that the A-1 is points for points worse than the A-2, and I do hope they do some adjustment, but I believe the A-1 does not always have to be cheaper than the A-2 when you consider how much more the Rebels have to work with in pilots/crew compared to Resistance. 

I have high hopes that this girl will be flying some internally balanced lists come January!

Edited by generalchaos34

RZ-1 a-wing is simply neither here no there. It's too expensive to be a filler, and doesn't have a high initiative pilot to be an asset in it's own right. Hence I do expect either a price drop, or a re-release with some pilots to choose from.

As for now, I have made a 2A 2X all i5 Resistance list and can't wait to give it a try.