Red Castle Games

[Portland, OR] Red Castle Games 2018 Regional Report

5 hours ago, thecactusman17 said:

Good work @Admiral Theia.

Thanks!

i ended fifth, if memory serves, which is a decent showing for me at a regionals.

My game was consistently the first one to finish.  45 minutes early for the first round, and taking only 40 minutes for the second game (I didn’t even roll any dice that game).  My third opponent also held me to a 6-5, but that game took longer.

this was a great event!  I hope we get the same locations next year!

5TH PLACE

Bryan G., aka @carthwolf, came in 5th place with a score of 21 points and an MoV of 536.  He was flying the popular Sloane 2-ship Imperial build with a slight twist — he opted for the Pursuant title on his Quasar over Squall.  While he lost his first match 4-7, he came back with an outstanding 10-1 win in round 2 and a solid 8-3 victory in round 3.

Bryan is fairly new to Armada, having participated in only one other tournament before attending our event.  Placing 5th out of 24 is quite an accomplishment regardless of your experience level, but to do so as a new player is an achievement that would make even Darth Vader proud.   The Force is strong with this one (even if it is the Dark Side).

uZa2hvQ.jpg?1

Speaking of the Darth Lord of the Sith, Bryan was the only player who took him as a squadron.  You don't see squadron Vader show up very often in tournament fleets, but Vader rewarded Bryan's faith by being an absolute terror in his 2nd round match where, with the help of Col. Jendon, the Chosen One popped both Soontir and Howlrunner in the same turn before either Imperial ace could fire a single shot.  Ouch! 

GIS8PzW.jpg?1

Red Castle 2018 Regionals 5th Place

RCG 2018 Regionals 5th Place 

Faction: Galactic Empire

Commander: Admiral Sloane

Assault Objective: Most Wanted
Defense Objective: Contested Outpost
Navigation Objective: Superior Positions

[ flagship ] Imperial II-Class Star Destroyer (120 points)
-  Admiral Sloane  ( 24  points) 
 Avenger  ( 5  points) 
-  Captain Brunson  ( 5  points) 
-  Boarding Troopers  ( 3  points) 
-  Electronic Countermeasures  ( 7  points) 
-  X17 Turbolasers  ( 6  points) 
-  Leading Shots  ( 4  points) 
= 174 total ship cost

Quasar Fire I-class Cruiser-Carrier (54 points)
 Pursuant  ( 2  points) 
-  Flight Controllers  ( 6  points) 
-  Boosted Comms  ( 4  points) 
= 66 total ship cost

Gozanti-class Cruisers (23 points)
-  Comms Net  ( 2  points) 
= 25 total ship cost

1 Darth Vader ( 21 points) 
1 Maarek Steele ( 21 points) 
1 Dengar ( 20 points) 
1 Colonel Jendon ( 20 points) 
1 Ciena Ree ( 17 points) 
1 "Mauler" Mithel ( 15 points) 
2 TIE Fighter Squadrons ( 16 points) 
= 130 total squadron cost

Congrats Bryan, I look forward to your return to Portland next year!

Edited by Red Castle Games

6TH PLACE

Our next player is someone who needs no introduction to the PNW Armada community.  @Admiral Theia came in 6th place with 20 points and 231 MoV.  Michelle was flying a triple Cymoon list commanded by Moff Jerjerrod — JJ must've realized doubling his efforts wasn't quite enough to please the Emperor so decided 3 ISDs would do the trick!

tVETlod.jpg?1

Michelle won all 3 of her games, but they were close-fought affairs (8-3, 6-5 and 7-4 respectively).  This is likely due to the fact that she had the hardest Strength of Schedule out of the top 12 players (and 3rd hardest overall).  She faced our 4th-place finisher in her opening match, and then the player who was in 3rd place after round 1 in her second game.

A few things that stood out for me regarding Michelle's fleet:

1.  It played fast — her games were always the quickest each round.  When facing a long day of Armada this can be a real advantage as mental fatigue sets in.

2.  She had fun objectives you rarely see in competitive events.  We're all familiar with the Most Wanted, Contested Outpost and Superior Positions suite, so it was nice to see someone take a chance and break out of the objective rut while still making smart choices that played to their fleet's strengths.

With no bid, Michelle obviously planned to go second some of the time and appeared very comfortable with that choice.  It was great to have both Blockade Run and Fleet Ambush see play at our regional.  While her Blockade Run match turned out to be anticlimactic, Michelle's Fleet Ambush battle vs Tory's Raddus Liberty list was truly engaging and one of the best games I witnessed all day.

Here's a short photo-sequence of Michelle's Fleet Ambush match vs Tory:

p13seXv.jpg?1

Tory deploys his fleet spread out in order to maximize his Raddus drop.  His ships are coming in hot at speed 3 and 4.

7Aq8h4V.jpg?1

Michelle tags a flotilla on turn 1 but it scatters the attack. However, the CR90 flying up the middle is not so lucky and it gets vaporized on turn 2.

CuJgVnN.jpg?1

Raddus drops a fully-loaded Star Cruiser right behind Michelle's battle line!

Michelle's fleet breaks up (after dumping their garbage as is standard Imperial protocol). Tory brings 1 ISD down to a single hull point but can't finish it off. Michelle edges out Tory for the win, 182-146.

Red Castle 2018 Regional 6th Place

RCG 2018 Regionals 6th Place 

Faction: Galactic Empire

Commander: Moff Jerjerrod

Assault Objective: Blockade Run
Defense Objective: Fleet Ambush
Navigation Objective: Minefields

[ flagship ] Imperial Star Destroyer Cymoon 1 Refit (112 points)
-  Moff Jerjerrod  ( 23  points) 
-  Strategic Adviser  ( 4  points) 
-  Gunnery Team  ( 7  points) 
= 146 total ship cost

Imperial Star Destroyer Cymoon 1 Refit (112 points)
-  Taskmaster Grint  ( 5  points) 
-  Intensify Firepower!  ( 6  points) 
= 130 total ship cost

Imperial Star Destroyer Cymoon 1 Refit (112 points)
-  Entrapment Formation!  ( 5  points) 
= 124 total ship cost

Edited by Red Castle Games

46 minutes ago, Red Castle Games said:

Michelle's fleet breaks up (after dumping their garbage as is standard Imperial protocol).

Being a Rebel I don't follow Imperial Protocol.  🙂  Now, Moff JJ, having recently defected with his task force, would likely still follow such as is his habit.

48 minutes ago, Red Castle Games said:

6TH PLACE

Our next player is someone who needs no introduction to the PNW Armada community.  @Admiral Theia came in 6th place with 20 points and 231 MoV.  Michelle was flying a triple Cymoon list commanded by Moff Jerjerrod — JJ must've realized doubling his efforts wasn't quite enough to please the Emperor so decided 3 ISDs would do the trick!

Michelle won all 3 of her games, but they were close-fought affairs (8-3, 6-5 and 7-4 respectively).  This is likely due to the fact that she had the hardest Strength of Schedule out of the top 12 players (and 3rd hardest overall).  She faced our 4th-place finisher in her opening match, and then the player who was in 3rd place after round 1 in her second game.

I few things that stood out for me regarding Michelle's fleet:

1.  It played fast — her games were always the quickest each round.  When facing a long day of Armada this can be a real advantage as mental fatigue sets in.

2.  She had fun objectives you don't see very often in competitive play.  We're all familiar with the Most Wanted, Contested Outpost and Superior Positions suite, so it was nice to see someone take a chance and break out of the objective rut while still making smart choices that played to their fleet's strengths.

With no bid, Michelle obviously planned to go second some of the time and appeared very comfortable with that choice.  It was great to have both Blockade Run and Fleet Ambush see play at our regional.  While her Blockade Run match turned out to be anticlimactic, Michelle's Fleet Ambush battle vs Tory's Raddus Liberty list was truly engaging and one of the best games I witnessed all day.

I hadn't realized that about my strength of schedule.  Feeling better about my 6th place now.  just have to shoot to crack the top 4 next month! 🙂

In that last battle I should have turned the outer ISD's inward and sped up to do a crossover maneuver, letting them catch Tory's flankers as they came screaming in and ready to face the liberty head on (a duel I feel confident a Cymoon has the edge in over a liberty) no matter which side he dropped it on.  

Lessons learned.

Now to practice with a Cymoon and two Kuats 😈

15 minutes ago, Red Castle Games said:

Speaking of the Darth Lord of the Sith, Bryan was the only player who took him as a squadron.  You don't see squadron Vader show up very often in tournament fleets, but Vader rewarded Bryan's faith by being an absolute terror in his 2nd round match where, with the help of Col. Jendon, the Chosen One popped both Soontir and Howlrunner in the same turn before either Imperial ace could fire a single shot.  Ouch! 

Oh, yeah - pretty sure I've got PTSD from that one!

That and my five-TIE-Bomber swarm with Jendon doubling one for about 6 attacks a turn...backed with BCC on a Gozer...and not a single hit/crit rolled all game.

I mean, there are bad dice days, and then there are BAD DICE DAYS.  (Not that my list was that great, of course...but after the shock of losing Soontir and Howl to back-to-back one-shot-kills...whoooo, boy.  Yeah, my brain basically just went into shock and shut down.  Started forgetting all kinds of things - but Bryan was great to play with and we were basically reminding each other of stuff back and forth all game!)

1 hour ago, Maturin said:

Man, I wish all Regionals reports were like this!  Fantastic breakdowns of the lists and how they did each game....and cool photos to boot.  Yowzas!!!

I’ve played in many high level events for multiple games, but I’ve never seen a store be so passionate about its community. Really impressed.