Red Castle Games

[Portland, OR] Red Castle Games 2018 Regional Report

What a tease! ;)

Great games were played. Can't wait to see more pictures posted.

I placed 2nd with 2 ship. Some of you may of seen it played at the Spokane tournament back in October. Original list isn't mine, just adjusted to my tastes and lots of practice the last 5 months.

The ISD and QF in black with gold and silver are mine.

If Paul Evans is reading this post or if someone knows him, can you tell him to check his fleet inventory when he gets a chance?   I believe is may have accidentally ganked my Quasar ship, base, token, and stem when he was in a hurry packing!  Thanks!  

@Karneck I am sure we will get a match in sometime in the future! 😉

@Red Castle Games great event and great pics I really enjoyed my time with Armada community in the west coast! Great game store to be at with a good layout!   

Looking forward to Jan 5th!

2 hours ago, Karneck said:

@Brikhause We absolutely need to get a game in, I'm sure I can pick up TTS on sale this Dec. Or you can join us Vassal plebs. ;)

Congrats to you and see you at Dice Age where we try and stop your reign of terror across the PNW system.

Ha!  Reign of terror I am a benevolent dictator I just like collecting regional trophies for every year!😉  They make nice display  pieces in my tortu....er play room!

23 hours ago, Karneck said:

What a tease! ;)

Great games were played. Can't wait to see more pictures posted.

I placed 2nd with 2 ship. Some of you may of seen it played at the Spokane tournament back in October. Original list isn't mine, just adjusted to my tastes and lots of practice the last 5 months.

The ISD and QF in black with gold and silver are mine.

Huh, should have paid better attention to who was here!  I think we've played each other once or twice on VASSAL?  Not sure we actually chatted at the event at all, though.  Did talk with many of the other folks I played with, there, and some others - seems so very few into play on VASSAL, which is a shame, as that's a great way to keep connected between major events.

FWIW, I did a **** of a lot better in VASSAL than I did at the regional - LOL!  Only managed something like 16th out of 24, here, so...*ow*.

(Depressingly, looking at the list I beat you with practicing for this regional - it would have done a HECK of a lot better for me than what I adjusted it to and brought.  Just goes to show - fly what you practice with!)

30 minutes ago, xanderf said:

Huh, should have paid better attention to who was here!  I think we've played each other once or twice on VASSAL?  Not sure we actually chatted at the event at all, though.  Did talk with many of the other folks I played with, there, and some others - seems so very few into play on VASSAL, which is a shame, as that's a great way to keep connected between major events.

FWIW, I did a **** of a lot better in VASSAL than I did at the regional - LOL!  Only managed something like 16th out of 24, here, so...*ow*.

(Depressingly, looking at the list I beat you with practicing for this regional - it would have done a HECK of a lot better for me than what I adjusted it to and brought.  Just goes to show - fly what you practice with!)

Yeah, I'm Derek. That guy who drives up from Bend to play in Portland. We've had a 3-4 games IRL and I think 2 games on Vassal?

Edited by Karneck

14 minutes ago, Karneck said:

Yeah, I'm Derek. That guy who drives up from Bend to play in Portland. We've had a 3-4 games IRL and I think 2 games on Vassal?

Hah!  Okay, yeah, we did briefly chat at Red Castle!  I don't think we have played IRL before, though - I'd left the PDX area a couple years ago, and am in Astoria now.  Used to live in Bend back around 2004/2005-ish.  EDIT: no, indeed, I'm completely wrong.  Checking my play log - we have played before!  Actually at a Red Castle event, back in early 2017.  It's been a day or two since then!

We've definitely done some VASSAL games, though, more recently!  Sadly, I'd bucked the lessons learned from that as a result of a really extreme loss against scatter aces just before the regionals, so I changed the list I took around to give those a try.  That was a terrible idea.  Round 1, I played someone without a single squadron, and just like 400 pts of ship with decent flak, so 90 pts of my list was literally useless against him.  Lost that game (understandably, as 310 pts fighting 400 is...not going to go well) something like an 8-3 or so (have to check the exact numbers later).  Then the second game, had an enemy that DID have a solid squadron component - and he flew up with pilot Vader and took an FC-backed shot...2 accuracies, hit/hit-crit/hit (but it's Vader, so...) 2 acc and 4 damage.  *Pop*, Soontir gone in one shot.  Jendon passes activation for Vader to shoot again, 2 acc/hit/hit-crit, *pop* Howl gone in the next shot.  Mithel not long for the world, leaving Dengar out there hanging it alone...

So, yeah, LOL.  I'll be going back to the lists I was playing against you, I think.  TIE Defenders all the way.  Relying on dice probability = big mistake.  Raw hitpoints FTW!

Edited by xanderf

@Red Castle Games thank you for the amazing event. It was so wonderfully run and the hosts were amazing. Traveling up from Boise with limited gameplay I was nervous, but you guys made it easy and comfortable to play.

@xanderf I was your round 2 Op. You were a great opponent and very gracious with me being relatively new to the game. Vadar did the same thing to Luke and Han in my round 3 game. I pretty much wipped the squadrons out with only losing one squadron in return. Hope to see you at the next event.

8 hours ago, carthwolf said:

I was your round 2 Op. You were a great opponent and very gracious with me being relatively new to the game. Vadar did the same thing to Luke and Han in my round 3 game. I pretty much wipped the squadrons out with only losing one squadron in return. Hope to see you at the next event.

Yeah, it was a good game!  Totally caught off-guard by pilot-Vader.  Popular opinion had never really rated him that highly, but I guess you're redefining his value...

On 12/8/2018 at 2:52 PM, Red Castle Games said:

Thanks!  I don't have time at the moment to put up all the deck lists or give in-depth commentary on the games, but hopefully the pics will suffice.  Speaking of... there are 45 minutes left in round 1 and players are deep in thought.

FMoJQtE.jpg

ERkySE9.jpg

We've had 1 game wrap up already (8-3 with an MOV of 195).  It was Moff Jerjerrod's triple Cymoons vs Rieekan's aces.  JJ came out on top — for the Emperor!

My hat is off to that Imperial player. He has served his Emporer well.

3 minutes ago, Mig1921 said:

awesome pics and write up.  Good to see that it maxed attendance, one of my local players in Reno was going to go but he did not register in time.  

I kept the attendance cap on the conservative side (24 players) as we hadn't run an Armada Regional at Red Castle Games before and I didn't want people to feel packed.  I'm hoping FFG grants us a regional again next year.  If so, we may expand to 28-30 players as we had a little extra room.

And now it's time to announce our winners and see some fleet lists...

FIRST PLACE

Fielding a deceptively fragile-looking 4-ship Sloane aces build with some uncommon upgrade choices (Admiral Titus, Director Isard + Slicer Tools), Justin C. — that's Mr. Brikhause to you, sir! — took home top honors with a score of 27 and MoV of 740.

rR4w3po.jpg?1

jkMAiYR.jpg?1

Justin's performance was very consistent for the day against a variety of fleet types, which aptly demonstrated not only his list's strengths but also his lethal skill as a squadron player.  He went 3-0 with the following scores:

Round 1 = 9-2 (374-145 / MoV 229) vs a Dodonna MC75 bomber fleet with Wedge, Norra, Dutch, Biggs, Jan and Gold Squadron.

Round 2 = 9-2 (423-155 / MoV 268) vs a Sloane aces ISD-II Avenger + Quasar Fire list with similar squadrons to his own.

Round 3 = 9-2 (400-157 / MoV 243) vs a squadronless Motti ISD Cymoon, VSD-II, Demolisher build.

YXTNnYL.jpg?1

Red Castle 2018 Regionals 1st Place

RCG 2018 Regionals 1st Place 
Faction: Galactic Empire

Commander: Admiral Sloane

Assault Objective: Precision Strike
Defense Objective: Fighter Ambush
Navigation Objective: Superior Positions

Gladiator I-Class Star Destroyer (56 points)
 Demolisher  ( 10  points) 
-  Captain Brunson  ( 5  points) 
-  Ordnance Experts  ( 4  points) 
-  Engine Techs  ( 8  points) 
-  Assault Proton Torpedoes  ( 5  points) 
= 88 total ship cost

Gozanti-class Cruisers (23 points)
 Vector  ( 2  points) 
-  Admiral Titus  ( 2  points) 
-  Expanded Hangar Bay  ( 5  points) 
= 32 total ship cost

Suppressor  ( 4  points) 
-  Director Isard  ( 3  points) 
-  Slicer Tools  ( 7  points) 
= 37 total ship cost

[ flagship ] Quasar Fire I-class Cruiser-Carrier (54 points)
-  Admiral Sloane  ( 24  points) 
 Squall  ( 3  points) 
-  Hondo Ohnaka  ( 2  points) 
-  Flight Controllers  ( 6  points) 
-  Boosted Comms  ( 4  points) 
-  Expanded Hangar Bay  ( 5  points) 
= 98 total ship cost

1 Maarek Steele ( 21 points) 
1 Colonel Jendon ( 20 points) 
1 Major Rhymer ( 16 points) 
1 "Mauler" Mithel ( 15 points) 
1 Saber Squadron ( 12 points) 
1 JumpMaster 5000 ( 12 points) 
4 TIE Fighter Squadrons ( 32 points) 
= 128 total squadron cost

YnFcrDY.jpg?1

I've heard Justin is now the player to beat after rampaging across the PNW Sector.  Congratulations on your win Justin, it is well deserved.

Edited by Red Castle Games

3 minutes ago, Red Castle Games said:

Vector  ( 2  points) 
-  Admiral Titus  ( 2  points) 
Hardened Bulkheads  ( 5  points) 
= 32 total ship cost

Is it correct? I believe Hardened Bulkheads is Large ship only.