Sign in to follow this  
RafaelNN

Question about new ships and conversion kit

Hi all, I have a question about the card content that comes with the ships. Im new to x-wing and got into it by buying the imperial conversion kit and 1.0 ships from second hand (and the core, but that doesnt come to matter for this post). Now Im looking to expand into scum. What I want to know is, will the ships that come out for scum -that are already included in the conversion kit- have new cards, or will they be limited to the cards that already come in the conversion kit? I ask in order to know if its a good idea to buy the scum conversion kit and second hand ships (like I did with imperials) or to buy scum ships as they come out in order to have any possible new card?

Im expecting the answer will be "we dont know". But based on experience, with the ships that have come out so far that are also included in the conversion kit, and the tie striker that has been announced (is the full content of it known?), what does it seem to be the answer?

Depends on what you want to play. If you are playing for tournaments, don't really bother unless you plan on TIE Swarm list then get 1, and go grab the rest from the 2nd edition Expansions. For Scum stick to expansions only and don't get the conversion kit (unless you already got all the scum ships but be advised most of them are not hyperspace legal). 

Now if you want to play 1stOrder, then the conversion kit is pretty much a must (at least until after Wave 4). Ditto for Resistance.

Edited by Marinealver

We don’t know for sure. The most likely scenario (very likely) is that some ships will include new content that is not in the conversion kits. However, FFG has said that there will be a method (whatever that means) for people to get such new cards without needing to rebuy plastic ship we already own. Most people are assuming that means some sort of “mini conversion kit” being released with any wave that has such new content, but that’s just a guess. Whether or not you believe FFG will truly make good on that promise, or if they mean “you’ll be able to get that card as a tournament prize a year after it was included in an expansion” is open for debate. 

I do not understand how FFG has not said with certainty what is going to happen in the next waves, and how it has not yet explained how another new material can be acquired that comes out. They're just going to make people not buy for not clarifying things.

I think by new ships he meant things like the Mining Guild TIE, which it would be kinda silly to think that new 2.0 ships would not have new upgrade cards. I Think for the most part reprint ships will not have new cards, the evidence for this is the reprints of the TIE Striker and Z-95 which as far as we know do not contain any new cards. As for the upgrade promise, people seem to expect alot for free in that area. All they have said is that they are going to provide a way to get all upgrade cards with out having to buy ships from other factions. It seems pretty logical that this will not cover faction specific upgrades like Heroic or Fanatical that can only be used with ships from a specific faction. They also did not promise that all the upgrades will be available to every faction at the same time. I can only think of two reasonable distribution models to make this happen. A) they are going to try and provide the generic upgrades to all ships in a given wave or B) they will wait and eventually enough cards will have build up say 15 to 20 ish generic upgrades and they will release a upgrade Booster pack with 1 or 2 of each upgrade card that people can buy and then get copies of the upgrades in the booster pack. Only time will tell.

6 hours ago, Endureil said:

I think by new ships he meant things like the Mining Guild TIE, which it would be kinda silly to think that new 2.0 ships would not have new upgrade cards. I Think for the most part reprint ships will not have new cards, the evidence for this is the reprints of the TIE Striker and Z-95 which as far as we know do not contain any new cards.

This is what I was thinking as well. Thats why I talked about ships already  included in the conversion kit. I was hoping there was an official answer on the matter. I guess Ill just play the patience game and buy scum as they come out. Ill resort to playing empire for formats where everything goes, or ask yhe community to lend me scum ships. Thanks everyone for the replies! 

11 hours ago, KiloFiX9 said:

So really just Conversion Kit and Tie Mining to get all the cards for now. 

Also the 2.0 Core and Lando's Millennium Falcon Expansion Pack.

For Scum, the only way to get Force Upgrades (and Afterburners if you don't buy one of the new Fang Fighters) are in the Core Set and Lando's Falcon has crew, gunners and a talent not available in anywhere else (yet).

Saw's Renegades is required for the U-Wing and X-Wing pilots.

RZ-2 A Wing has heroic, right? Or is that in the conversion kit?

Afterburners is only included in the Core and in the Fang pack.  Ironically, the Fang cannot equip them.

On 12/8/2018 at 2:01 AM, RafaelNN said:

Hi all, I have a question about the card content that comes with the ships. Im new to x-wing and got into it by buying the imperial conversion kit and 1.0 ships from second hand (and the core, but that doesnt come to matter for this post). Now Im looking to expand into scum. What I want to know is, will the ships that come out for scum -that are already included in the conversion kit- have new cards, or will they be limited to the cards that already come in the conversion kit? I ask in order to know if its a good idea to buy the scum conversion kit and second hand ships (like I did with imperials) or to buy scum ships as they come out in order to have any possible new card?

Im expecting the answer will be "we dont know". But based on experience, with the ships that have come out so far that are also included in the conversion kit, and the tie striker that has been announced (is the full content of it known?), what does it seem to be the answer?

if you care about looks, some 1st edition ships are much better painted with cleaner lines and crisper mold  details, etc.   I'd compare pictures if you can and see if you care for one better. 

as to the cards and cardboard, id check your local scene. my scene largely didnt convert at all but the few who did are playing with the app so the cards arent super vital as long as your cardboard is good

Edited by Vontoothskie