Sign in to follow this  
JOAGames

Can anger be used to un-stun a creature

I played and someone used anger to "ready and fight" with a stuned creature, i don't think it is right because he did not use the creature he forced it to fight because if true it makes ready and use more redundant 

You must complete as much as you can of the card text. So, if there was a creature to fight then your opponent would be forced to fight it. If there isn't a creature to fight, then the Creature that was readied can perform another action, including unstunning itself. This action does exhausts the creature.

For clarity, if the creature isn't of the house currently being played, it wouldn't be allowed to perform an action—in this case unstun. It would just be readied.

Edited by debiant

Fighting with a stunned creature directly un-stuns it, it is not a separate use action.  I agree that there would need to be a creature for it to fight, or you could not perform the 'Fight' usage.  

I used to thing the same thing you did.  That you could only un-stun a creature if you have the option to 'Use' the creature.  If the creature is stunned and is explicitly told to fight (anger, Gauntlet of command, etc...) that it would not un-stun as it was expressly given the option to fight.  Though if it were a member of the called house, it would ready as Debiant said, and then you could un-stun it as a separate use.

It came up at a PAX tournament and the judge ruled that fighting with a stunned creature directly un-stuns and exhausts it.  Cited rules reference page 7:

USING CREATURES
When a player uses a creature, that player must exhaust the creature, and the player has the option to reap, fight, or to trigger the creature’s “Action:” ability.
REAP
Any ready creature of the active house may reap. When a creature is used to reap, its controller gains 1 Æmber for their Æmber pool. Then, all “Reap:” abilities the creature has, if it has any, resolve.
FIGHT
Any ready creature of the active house may fight. When a creature is used to fight, its controller chooses one eligible creature controlled by the opponent as the target of the attack. Each of the two creatures deals an amount of damage equal to its power (the value to the left of the card’s title) to the other creature. All of this damage is dealt simultaneously. After the fight resolves, if the creature that is being used to fight survives, all “Fight:” abilities the creature has, if it has any, resolve.
A creature cannot fight if there is no enemy creature that can be chosen as the target of the attack.
ACTION
Any ready creature of the active house may trigger its “Action:” ability, if it has one. When a creature is used to trigger its “Action:” ability, the creature exhausts and all “Action:” abilities the creature has resolve."

Note that 'un-stun' is not a 'USE' option.  Only 'Fight', Reap' and 'Action'

second citation, Page 12:
STUN, STUN STATUS CARD
When a creature becomes stunned, place a stun status card on it. The next time the creature is used, the only thing that happens is the creature exhausts and the stun card is removed. It does not reap or fight, and any
“Reap:,” “Fight:,” or “Action:” abilities on the creature do not resolve. Constant abilities and abilities that do not require the creature to reap, fight, or be used are still active. If a stunned creature is attacked, it still deals damage to the attacking creature during the fight. While a creature is stunned, it cannot become stunned again.

Since we know that using a creature encompasses 'Fight' 'Reap' and 'Action' and that using a stunned creature un-stuns it.  We can say that if a creature is able to perform any of those three 'use' actions, any of them will remove the stun effect.  

Edited by xbeaker
spelling

Hi

This happened to my buddy and I . The rules stated that when stunned the first action at all times will be to un-stun itself and become exhausted so any card that would ready a stunned creature will just remove the stun and make the creature exhausted, least that is what we figured. Agreed you must complete as much of the action as the card text allows in this situation the creature cannot perform an attack  because it is exhausted after being readied due to the stun counter but that in itself saves you from doing a stun removal later from using Anger.

cheers

3 hours ago, player3686594 said:

Hi

This happened to my buddy and I . The rules stated that when stunned the first action at all times will be to un-stun itself and become exhausted so any card that would ready a stunned creature will just remove the stun and make the creature exhausted, least that is what we figured. Agreed you must complete as much of the action as the card text allows in this situation the creature cannot perform an attack  because it is exhausted after being readied due to the stun counter but that in itself saves you from doing a stun removal later from using Anger.

cheers

Eh???

readying does not remove stun. Using a stunned creature removes their stun token(s). Fight is one of three ways of using a creature so removes the stun and exhausts the creature (but the fight does not happen, nor do you resolve any fight or fighting abilities).

In case Anger is being played on a stunned creature: gain an Aember for playing the card, ready the stunned creature (if exhausted), exhaust it, remove all stun tokens from that creature. Done, that’s it.

Edited by Palpster

I think what he is saying, is that if you play a card that comes in stunned or if an exhausted card becomes stunned, Anger can be used to remove the stun so you don't have to wait until a future round to activate the creature just to remove the stun and then a further round to actually fight/reap with that creature.  

On 12/7/2018 at 7:44 PM, JOAGames said:

I played and someone used anger to "ready and fight" with a stuned creature, i don't think it is right because he did not use the creature he forced it to fight because if true it makes ready and use more redundant 

Yes, stun is removed when you attempt to fight, reap, or action with a stunned creature. Removing stun is byproduct of Using a creature that is stunned.

21 hours ago, xbeaker said:

I think what he is saying, is that if you play a card that comes in stunned or if an exhausted card becomes stunned, Anger can be used to remove the stun so you don't have to wait until a future round to activate the creature just to remove the stun and then a further round to actually fight/reap with that creature.  

Thank you for putting it more simply.  Your right also Palpster, stun will be removed by either: reaping, fighting or action. Anger lets the creature fight, thus it removes stun and exhausts the creature as anytime a stun counter is removed the creature enters into a state of exhaustion, so if a card states ''Use'' than a player could ''Use'' a stunned creature to only remove a stun counter... LOL I keep thinking ''Ready'' is like untapping in MTG and being stunned would ''tap'' your creature: Nope:P