Sign in to follow this  
groggydog

It's the Imperial Discipline Holiday Buying Special!

It's the most wonderful time of the year for new players to join our community. Whether you've been lurking the forums and Facebook group or are warily eyeing your unpainted core set in the corner, let's take a look at what to do when you're starting Legion from scratch this winter season. All aboard the Holiday Special Express!

I would absolutely love to hear your thoughts on what I got right and what I got wrong below, especially for anyone who's quietly hanging around the forums thinking about buying into the game.

https://imperialdiscipline.blog/2018/12/06/the-legion-buying-guide-holidays-2018-19/

2 hours ago, DangerShine Designs said:

Good stuff, there was nothing there that didn’t jive with my own personal experience and the local meta. I’m sure this will be super useful to the target audience 

Thanks so much! I appreciate hearing that

It's a well written article that I think will help a lot of people. There's nothing in it I'd disagree with but I'd emphasize different things.

Despite its A tier, I think you vastly understated the economics of a 2nd core set, and vastly overvalued the prospect of picking up bikes, rebel troops, etc. separately.  The cost of collecting both factions I also found to be greatly exaggerated. Two fun factions for Legion costs less than 1 faction for most games of its genre. Including historical games that pay no licensing fees. Legion is stupidly low priced.

Also assuming we're newbies, "What's a meta?"

Since a 3rd corps unit is required, and unlike most games more dice really are all but required, you have to lop $40 off the cost of a 2nd core set right away. If you do own two core sets, it's almost crazy not to keep both armies just to have a loaner or to try stuff out or whatever. Two core sets and Han is two legal 800 point armies. Add an evil character if you don't want an Imperial army that is utterly full of useless upgrades. So now we're at like $160 for two full armies. That's crazy cheap in this hobby.

And if you do know you're doing two armies, you need a 3rd corps for both of them and dice. So you have to deduct like $65 from the cost of a core set.

Edited by TauntaunScout

14 hours ago, TauntaunScout said:

It's a well written article that I think will help a lot of people. There's nothing in it I'd disagree with but I'd emphasize different things.

Despite its A tier, I think you vastly understated the economics of a 2nd core set, and vastly overvalued the prospect of picking up bikes, rebel troops, etc. separately.  The cost of collecting both factions I also found to be greatly exaggerated. Two fun factions for Legion costs less than 1 faction for most games of its genre. Including historical games that pay no licensing fees. Legion is stupidly low priced.

Also assuming we're newbies, "What's a meta?"

Since a 3rd corps unit is required, and unlike most games more dice really are all but required, you have to lop $40 off the cost of a 2nd core set right away. If you do own two core sets, it's almost crazy not to keep both armies just to have a loaner or to try stuff out or whatever. Two core sets and Han is two legal 800 point armies. Add an evil character if you don't want an Imperial army that is utterly full of useless upgrades. So now we're at like $160 for two full armies. That's crazy cheap in this hobby.

And if you do know you're doing two armies, you need a 3rd corps for both of them and dice. So you have to deduct like $65 from the cost of a core set.

All fair points! Thank for contributing.