Darth Meanie

All Movie Ships Deserve the T-70 Treatment

I’m very much hoping FFG uses whatever mechanism that it plans to use to distribute new pilots/upgrades for old ships to continue doing so even after all of the 1.0 ships are rereleased. 

That would enable them to continue releasing new pilots for the classic ships. I’m partiularly interested in seeing new canon characters (e.g., Alphabet Squadron). But they could also bring back some Legends characters that way as well. 

It's not possible to do that for every ship, though. 

Not without FFG just making up random pilots. They're already having to do that for most of the First Order ships. 

Why should the Y-Wing get a stack more pilots than the TIE Bomber just because it's a good guy ship that got a lot of focus in one of the films? Ships of similar size should at least be broadly similar in their available pilot selection. The new standard for small bases seems to four named pilots and two generics, and I think that's a good number. 

Each faction feels like it's also getting a 'flagship ship' (or just literally a flagship, I guess) that gets a bunch of extra pilots based on it being the most iconic or popular. Rebels have the T-65, Imperials have the TIE Fighter, Resistance have the T-70, First Order have the TIE/fo and it looks like the Republic's will be the Jedi Starfighter and the Seps will get the Vulture Droid. 

Also, most of the new T-70 pilots aren't even from the movies. It feels a lot to me like they drew from additional sources to bring the T-70 up to par with the T-65, where all but one of the named pilots have been featured on screen. 

55 minutes ago, GuacCousteau said:

It's not possible to do that for every ship, though. 

So?  "Leave no ship behind" = "Let no ship excel."  That only hurts ships that can have more pilots, making the game smaller and less flavorful.

Not without FFG just making up random pilots.

Also, who cares.  Decipher made up a ton of new lore producing their card game, much of which is now the basis of the names in this game.

Why should the Y-Wing get a stack more pilots than the TIE Bomber just because it's a good guy ship that got a lot of focus in one of the films?

You answered your own question.

The new standard for small bases seems to four named pilots and two generics, and I think that's a good number. 

And I totally disagree.  Ships should have as many pilots and squadrons as the lore supports.

Because Star Wars.

Edited by Darth Meanie

1 hour ago, GuacCousteau said:

Also, most of the new T-70 pilots aren't even from the movies. It feels a lot to me like they drew from additional sources to bring the T-70 up to par with the T-65, where all but one of the named pilots have been featured on screen. 

Uhm, I mean 7 of the 9 T-70 pilots were from TFA or TLJ. Poe obviously is, with Nien Nunb, Ello Asty, 'Snap' Wexley, Jess Pava, and Bastian showing up in TFA during the final battle of the film with Jaycris Tubbs showing up in TLJ at the Battle of D'Qar. The only ones not from the films are Kare Kun who is from the Poe comics and Joph Seastriker who is from Bloodlines. I figure that 7 out of 9 isn't bad compared to the Rebels 8 of 9 especially when the Saw's Renegades T-65 pilots weren't even show flying anything in the film or any media I'm aware of, they just were in the background.

If you have an interest in where the pilots come from and what they look like, might I recommend the below.

The way I see it is that the T-70 gets all these pilots is because it is the main workhorse of the Resistance. The same has already been done for the T-65 and it has the same number of pilots. And the same again can apply to the Tie L/N for Empire and the FO's Tie.

Not only that but the Resistance  and FO only has 4 ships available for it, while the Rebels and others have like triple the amount.

4 hours ago, Animewarsdude said:

Uhm, I mean 7 of the 9 T-70 pilots were from TFA or TLJ. Poe obviously is, with Nien Nunb, Ello Asty, 'Snap' Wexley, Jess Pava, and Bastian showing up in TFA during the final battle of the film with Jaycris Tubbs showing up in TLJ at the Battle of D'Qar. The only ones not from the films are Kare Kun who is from the Poe comics and Joph Seastriker who is from Bloodlines. I figure that 7 out of 9 isn't bad compared to the Rebels 8 of 9 especially when the Saw's Renegades T-65 pilots weren't even show flying anything in the film or any media I'm aware of, they just were in the background.

How many of those pilots did we actually get the names of IN the films or novelization??

8 hours ago, GreenDragoon said:

Wait, is that really something that you and others pay attention to?

**** yeah.  I didn't buy I into this game for any other reason than STAR WARS.  Y'all can have your balanced meta and you ace-per-chassis.  I want to relive the movies.  Which means I need the lore.  Official, like.

50 minutes ago, Darth Meanie said:

**** yeah.  I didn't buy I into this game for any other reason than STAR WARS.  Y'all can have your balanced meta and you ace-per-chassis.  I want to relive the movies.  Which means I need the lore.  Official, like.

While I like the original three and most of the side fiction until the newer movies started to show up, I still like this game as it. But I will admit it is so hard to play games especially with the cannon being subverted to expatiations all the time. Hey we did play many games where Biggs fights with E-wings and such. That is why I have tried to make my own lore just for the skirmishes. I mean face it, the story affects the game. So when the game doesn't match the story it is as if it never happened.

Edited by Marinealver

26 minutes ago, Marinealver said:

. But I will admit it is so hard to play games especially with the cannon being subverted to expatiations all the time. Hey we did play many games where Biggs fights with E-wings and such. That is why I have tried to make my own lore just for the skirmishes. I mean face it, the story affects the game. So when the game doesn't match the story it is as if it never happened.

A.  Thanks for the new word.  Had to look up expatiations. :)

B.  But if I follow, it's better to have to trim the fat as a purist than be required to homebrew even basic elements of the lore, IMHO.  Tiree should be in the game, no questions asked.

to bad the Tie Adv is utter garbage, i played a guy tonight who was using Vader and we both kept saying, geez this thing needs Evade, the X1 is the only Tie model which is not a bomber that doesn't get Evade, even the Freakin Reaper gets Evade FfS

3 hours ago, Darth Meanie said:

Well, me neither. I wouldn't play if it wasn't Star Wars. But the names of generics are so arbitrary that I never thought to pay attention to them. And the "Green" in my handle does come from Green Squadron...