SDCC

Inferno Squad Experience?

Has anyone had much play time using the Inferno TIEs?

I'm trying to get three of them working with Rexlar (Inferno Rex), and any info on how they synergise or any strategies would be great. Thanks!

I tried Gideon and Del with Kestal, Rhymmer and Vynder. They are still tie fighters and die too easily. Even if you have Iden, I don't think it's worth it, you pay 40 to survive one more shot and your 2 dice attack does not do that much. I would just sink points into other ships. 

1 hour ago, SDCC said:

Has anyone had much play time using the Inferno TIEs?

I'm trying to get three of them working with Rexlar (Inferno Rex), and any info on how they synergise or any strategies would be great. Thanks!

I like to play the 4 of them together. Same initiative is really a good thing, especially when flying pretty close to each other (to benefit from Del or Iden's abilities).
Gideon and Del are really synergistic with Seyn; the plan is : fire on something within Seyn's bullseye (don't forget to add Marksmanship on this guy) first; then enjoy using his buddys' abilities.
Of course, your opponent is going to want Seyn dead before he shoots; that's why you have Iden close to him.

Edited by Giledhil

I always like to get a Sloane carrier involved with anything involving multiple Ties, and I think Vader works well with the three members of Inferno Squad that have the damage abilities.  Vermeil works well with Vader and the bomber gives you something else to trigger Sloane with Homing Missiles to do an auto damage to get things rolling. In the spirit of keeping everything I4:

(I4) TIE Reaper - •Major Vermeil - 73
    •Major Vermeil - Veteran of Scarif (49)
        •Admiral Sloane (10)
        •Darth Vader (14)

(I4) TIE/ln Fighter - •Seyn Marana - 30
    •Seyn Marana - Inferno Four (30)

(I4) TIE/ln Fighter - •Gideon Hask - 30
    •Gideon Hask - Inferno Two (30)

(I4) TIE/ln Fighter - •Del Meeko - 30
    •Del Meeko - Inferno Three (30)

(I4) TIE/sa Bomber - •Major Rhymer - 37
    •Major Rhymer - Scimitar Leader (34)
        Homing Missiles (3)

Total: 200/200

I've been running all four Inferno ties, marksmanship on Seyn and crack shot on the rest. Throw in Vermeil with krennic, isb slicer and a hull upgrade, and it is a fun little squad. Much caution required against bombers, especially those with trajectory simulator.

It seems to work best against low ship counts. 4 and up give it fits.

Howl, Rexler, Seyn and either Gideon or Del is pretty nice, put Squad Leader on Howl and the inferno that isn't del, Juke on Rex, Marksmanship on Seyn, and free choice for the remaining points (though Squad Leader on the other TIE can be good to have everyone shooting at 5 in case Seyn doesn't crit, and Homing Missiles are great on Rex), but it tends towards defeat in detail - 3 TIEs just don't have the HP and weight to pull through if the gimmick fails.

Howl plus inferno squad plus one is very solid, but who the +1 is and what the upgrades are is a question, and even with iden it struggles against torp alphas and gets horribly wrecked by proton bomb launchers.

From what I can tell they are over costed for what they do.  Some of the quickbuild's are good but in 2.0, Extended and Hyperspace formats they are still too expensive.  
If you could bring Howlrunner, Iden and 6 Crack Blacks I am still not sure it would be competitive....

I have run Iden, Gideon and Seyn (with Marksmenship of course) with Supernatural Vader and am 2-1 with it. Vader has to be flown very carefully but supported by the other three is able to compete and win. Iden is the biggest threat, the longer she stays alive the better the list becomes, especially with Vader doing Vader things. 

5 minutes ago, Cgriffith said:

I have run Iden, Gideon and Seyn (with Marksmenship of course) with Supernatural Vader and am 2-1 with it. Vader has to be flown very carefully but supported by the other three is able to compete and win. Iden is the biggest threat, the longer she stays alive the better the list becomes, especially with Vader doing Vader things. 

I like Gideon better than Wampa and have been using him to fill out my TIE lists; his ability procs more often in my experience. 

1 minute ago, impspy said:

I like Gideon better than Wampa and have been using him to fill out my TIE lists; his ability procs more often in my experience. 

I think there are some choices based on flying style, and your playstyle (aggressiveness etc.) on which named TIEs need to be taken or you choose but the list can do well, if of course you fly well. 

I tried my best for quite a bit with them. It is hard, very hard. Keeping them in formation, finding a good time and place for the first engagement as well as a good plan for the inevitable formation split. Often this is not enough, even if everything went fine. If a TIE decides to die, it just dies – and Iden has less say in the whole thing than one would think. Nothing you can do and suddenly you've lost two TIEs before you even had a chance to shoot. Even if they survive, damage is not guaranteed and one modded shot after the other misses its target. On other occasions the first engagement goes well (sometimes they survive and get no hits and the TIEs get plucked away one after the other after they split up – they are just too weak on their own and they have to turn eventually.

Not worth it for me, at least in the long run. After a certain time the games just stopped being fun. Even if the list got the job done. I moved on.

Edited by Lord_Haelmchen

Ties are really boring to play imo. Even tie swarm, is just like a slog. They really don't synergize with much in a meaningful way either. 

Iden is too cost prohibitive I found, and running a bunch of them at high PS didn't really pay off even when I was PS-killing stuff. 

But Del Meeko. I think Del is worth investing in. I think he affects all ships, and the extra dice can often pay off as a saved damage. (it does statistically after 2 procs)

I've only recently delved into ties and swarm formation with a handful of games, although hopefully another couple tonight. But so far I have thoroughly enjoyed the challenge. I've run academies, howl + inferno, init 5 swarm tactics, with and without sloane and tonight I'm hoping to fly a reaper sloane variant.

Inferno squadron members are all solid enough, particularly iden for full swarms and gideon if you have more pressing threats. Del and Seyn have been the least useful to me, thus far. Seyn because shes difficult to reliably proc on anything her ability matters against (it seems others swear by her though) and Del because I've found I prefer front loaded squads since they lose damage output quickly and I don't want to cut ships like ST wampa or gideon or mauler to fit him in. That said I'll still be flying both for more testing. 

I still feel some of the tie generics like BSA and some of the named ties are over costed/under powered. At  least when taken as the core of a list. I'd kill for an upgrade to gain access to some of the tie/fo's traits.. namely blue turns and/or Sloops. 

Edited by Carnor Rex

you know when the developers told us that 2 die primaries would be able to do something in this game, well they lied. A Tie Fighter still sucks, even 6 Tie Fighters suck, what ever you can do in a Tie fighter can be done better in a Bomber , it's simple math really the Tie Fighter is bad investment for 3 health and 2 attack die for 23-24 points.

24 minutes ago, Darth evil said:

you know when the developers told us that 2 die primaries would be able to do something in this game, well they lied. A Tie Fighter still sucks, even 6 Tie Fighters suck, what ever you can do in a Tie fighter can be done better in a Bomber , it's simple math really the Tie Fighter is bad investment for 3 health and 2 attack die for 23-24 points.

This is unfortunately true.

Will it be true after the pts updates? Lol probably. But I kinda hope not. 

I had a go last night.

Rex - Juke, Collision

Seyn - Marksmanship

Hask - Crackshot

Iden - Crackshot

I flew against Poe/Rey and lost. 

I enjoyed flying it, Iden saved herself, and I got off Seyn's abilities (which was cool). But it didn't have the punch. Sadly for the points I don't think the TIEs do enough. Such a shame!

Fun Points: 10/10

Flavor Points: 10/10

Effectiveness points: 5/10

Its a fun squad that I love to fly. Unfortunately I think inferno squad is better when its.....not a squad.

Optimal is probably Howly and Iden and then maybe two academies...I've actually had pretty good results with this. As a group they can put out better damage, draw fire, block, and you still have tons of points left over for something else: ace, transport, whatever.

If you have points left over you can put swarm tactics on iden and howly, make those academies shoot at high PS and you really create a miniswarm that's hard to ignore, again, creating room for something even better like an ace or something.

Edited by Gibbilo

17 hours ago, Odanan said:

I would like to see an Inferno Squad title to improve these fragile TIE Fighters... 

This was my idea for fixing LNs even in 1.0.  If 2 dice still suck, then the TIE needs to rely on ship to ship synergy.  Which, to be honest, is just how it should be.  A lone TIE is Falcon food.  A swarm. . .

Honestly I enjoy flying in formation but it's much harder and much less flexible. And that's one of the issues.. the best pilots encourage close proximity but kill boxes and blocking etc all require much looser flying.

Edited by Carnor Rex

1 hour ago, Carnor Rex said:

Honestly I enjoy flying in formation but it's much harder and much less flexible. And that's one of the issues.. the best pilots encourage close proximity but kill boxes and blocking etc all require much looser flying.

The real problem with formation flying with TIE /lns is the K-turns IMO. With an added sloop, you could have the classic "block" attack, then some good solutions to turn around with a little bit of flexibility.
I don't understand why the dial stayed the same; especially when the /ln is supposed to be a nimble ship, and nearly every other fighter ship (T65s, A-wings, etc.) got something else than K-turns.

On 12/6/2018 at 3:31 PM, Cgriffith said:

Iden is the biggest threat, the longer she stays alive the better the list becomes, especially with Vader doing Vader things. 

I don't get this.  Iden's ability is a one time use.  How is she the biggest threat the longer she stays alive?

On 12/6/2018 at 4:22 PM, Lord_Haelmchen said:

I tried my best for quite a bit with them. It is hard, very hard. Keeping them in formation, finding a good time and place for the first engagement as well as a good plan for the inevitable formation split. 

Personally, I don't think Ties should be flown in formation.  Oh, I fly mine together, but in a loose formation that I don't even try to hold together.   Tie Fighters are really maneuverable and I think locking them into formation or forcing yourself to fly in formation is too difficult and it gives your opponent a chance to mess with you.   

I think Howlrunner is a trap.  Everyone thinks you HAVE to take her to make Tie Fighters work.  You HAVE to fly formations to make Howlrunner work.  People use your formations against you with asteroids and how they move.  You mess up and cause bumping and they strike.  I think Tie Fighters are best used to fly as they will, but in a pack.  It's OK to have bumpage at some points in time as long as it sets you up for a good shot or good for next turn.  If they enemy is all bumping, too, they are tokenless.  

What I like to do is create a bump screen on the approach.  If you can get just out of shot range or even with a few ships shooting at R3, that is good.  Next, you rush forward your Academy Pilot (always have at least one) and stick it right in their craw.  The other Tie fighters move forward to create a space filled with Tie Fighters.  Basically, the enemy pilots have nowhere to land.  No matter what their move is, they bump a Tie Fighters, which moves them back to basically bumping the first Tie Fighter.  All their ships bump into each other or one of your Ties.  At this point, you have a lot of ships at R1 and R2.  You all have a Focus.  They don't have any actions.  In this exchange, the Tie Fighters usually get the better of the deal.  In the next round, the front Tie Fighters do K-turns or other moves to turn around while the rear Tie Fighters go for the blocks.  You can do a lot of 1 hard turns to get people on the flanks of the enemy, too.  This round you can really see the damage start to get through.  

On 12/6/2018 at 4:43 PM, Blail Blerg said:

Ties are really boring to play imo.

I find this funny as the more I play other ships, the more I am enjoying my Tie Fighters.  I came to this thread to look into the latest thoughts on just Tie Fighters as a list. 

On 12/7/2018 at 12:07 AM, Darth evil said:

I almost always have some Tie Fighters in my lists as I hate to have 4 or less ships.  I use them quite a bit as blockers and such.  They usually get in at R1 and get a lot of hits in.  I've been experimenting with other ships and Tie Fighters and I often find that the Tie Fighters were the champions of the lists.  There are times my other ships do little, but the Tie Fighters block the enemy and get more hits than you would expect for a Tie Fighter.  

As an example, just Thursday night, Wampa fired R3 at a B-wing and got 3 hits through.  An Academy Pilot rushed forward to block the enemy formation.  He caused another B-wing to bump and then Wedge to bump it.  Wedge fired at someone else than the Academy (and missed pretty bad).  The Academy fired and got 2 hits and a crit through!  Wedge was hit hard by a dang Academy Pilot!  

Overall, I am finding Tie Fighters doing all the hard work in my lists and being the most effective.  I know I've been flying them since Wave 1 and I enjoy flying them, while others are more in love with Tie Interceptors or other ships.  Maybe it just takes a lot of practice with them?  I just get pretty good at setting up blockers and then kill boxes with them.  Forget the formation flying, though.  I think it takes away what you can do with Tie Fighters.

34 minutes ago, heychadwick said:

I don't get this.  Iden's ability is a one time use.  How is she the biggest threat the longer she stays alive?

Personally, I don't think Ties should be flown in formation.  Oh, I fly mine together, but in a loose formation that I don't even try to hold together.   Tie Fighters are really maneuverable and I think locking them into formation or forcing yourself to fly in formation is too difficult and it gives your opponent a chance to mess with you.   

I think Howlrunner is a trap.  Everyone thinks you HAVE to take her to make Tie Fighters work.  You HAVE to fly formations to make Howlrunner work.  People use your formations against you with asteroids and how they move.  You mess up and cause bumping and they strike.  I think Tie Fighters are best used to fly as they will, but in a pack.  It's OK to have bumpage at some points in time as long as it sets you up for a good shot or good for next turn.  If they enemy is all bumping, too, they are tokenless.  

What I like to do is create a bump screen on the approach.  If you can get just out of shot range or even with a few ships shooting at R3, that is good.  Next, you rush forward your Academy Pilot (always have at least one) and stick it right in their craw.  The other Tie fighters move forward to create a space filled with Tie Fighters.  Basically, the enemy pilots have nowhere to land.  No matter what their move is, they bump a Tie Fighters, which moves them back to basically bumping the first Tie Fighter.  All their ships bump into each other or one of your Ties.  At this point, you have a lot of ships at R1 and R2.  You all have a Focus.  They don't have any actions.  In this exchange, the Tie Fighters usually get the better of the deal.  In the next round, the front Tie Fighters do K-turns or other moves to turn around while the rear Tie Fighters go for the blocks.  You can do a lot of 1 hard turns to get people on the flanks of the enemy, too.  This round you can really see the damage start to get through.  

I find this funny as the more I play other ships, the more I am enjoying my Tie Fighters.  I came to this thread to look into the latest thoughts on just Tie Fighters as a list. 

I almost always have some Tie Fighters in my lists as I hate to have 4 or less ships.  I use them quite a bit as blockers and such.  They usually get in at R1 and get a lot of hits in.  I've been experimenting with other ships and Tie Fighters and I often find that the Tie Fighters were the champions of the lists.  There are times my other ships do little, but the Tie Fighters block the enemy and get more hits than you would expect for a Tie Fighter.  

As an example, just Thursday night, Wampa fired R3 at a B-wing and got 3 hits through.  An Academy Pilot rushed forward to block the enemy formation.  He caused another B-wing to bump and then Wedge to bump it.  Wedge fired at someone else than the Academy (and missed pretty bad).  The Academy fired and got 2 hits and a crit through!  Wedge was hit hard by a dang Academy Pilot!  

Overall, I am finding Tie Fighters doing all the hard work in my lists and being the most effective.  I know I've been flying them since Wave 1 and I enjoy flying them, while others are more in love with Tie Interceptors or other ships.  Maybe it just takes a lot of practice with them?  I just get pretty good at setting up blockers and then kill boxes with them.  Forget the formation flying, though.  I think it takes away what you can do with Tie Fighters.

i've always hated Howlrunner, her ability is to restrictive, they could have made it R2

On 12/6/2018 at 6:37 AM, Giledhil said:

I like to play the 4 of them together. Same initiative is really a good thing, especially when flying pretty close to each other (to benefit from Del or Iden's abilities).
Gideon and Del are really synergistic with Seyn; the plan is : fire on something within Seyn's bullseye (don't forget to add Marksmanship on this guy) first; then enjoy using his buddys' abilities.
Of course, your opponent is going to want Seyn dead before he shoots; that's why you have Iden close to him.

Seyn is female.  Just saying.  Of course, she’s not a pilot either but that didn’t stop FFG from making her one for some reason.

Edited by weisguy119