Sign in to follow this  
period3

can we PLEASE get some new core sets?

Right now anyone who wants to play has to buy a rebel vs imperial core set.   New players may not want to invest in those factions, for one, and x-wing 1.0 players with loads of x-wings and tie fighters do not want to buy more.  Can we please get a resistance vs FO core set?   

Awkwardly proxying a core set until then, or until somebody gets me a core set for xmas.

5 minutes ago, period3 said:

Right now anyone who wants to play has to buy a rebel vs imperial core set.   New players may not want to invest in those factions, for one, and x-wing 1.0 players with loads of x-wings and tie fighters do not want to buy more.  Can we please get a resistance vs FO core set?   

Awkwardly proxying a core set until then, or until somebody gets me a core set for xmas.

Its coming for Christmas! I just know it!

I was actually having a similar discussion with friends recently. I suggested they should change the Core Set to a “Two Player Starter Box” and the Core Set should be a cheaper Templates, Tokens, Dice, Cards etc. (No minis) and then release a Faction Starter Set, similar to what the CIS and Republic will have. 

I 100% agree. A Clone Wars one would have sold like hot cakes. Since no one has those ships yet. I just pre-ordered a 2.0 core set, got the special edition damage deck and opened/use that and sold the core set unopened. I don't care about the new pilots or force cards. I'll use my 1.0 tokens, templates and rocks. And the conversion kits have enough of the new tokens that I'm good. Especially with those fully loaded squadron packs that I'll just wait for. 

50 minutes ago, Chudley said:

I was actually having a similar discussion with friends recently. I suggested they should change the Core Set to a “Two Player Starter Box” and the Core Set should be a cheaper Templates, Tokens, Dice, Cards etc. (No minis) and then release a Faction Starter Set, similar to what the CIS and Republic will have. 

I am not fond of this type of approach.  The core set has so many good things going for it. 

1.  Value:  between the ships, you get them cheaper than three blister packs.

2.  Everything needed to play is there.  Templates, dice, rule book, ships

I get you may not like either faction.  Now, let's look at a similar game published by GW.  Starter set comes with good value, however, you still need to purchase alot to be able to field an army.  Plus, rule book is expensive, faction rules are another investment.  All reasons Inquit supporting that company.  

FFG does a great job with the core.  

The Core Set is there to get people in the game. 

It needs to be enticing and easily accessible for those who aren't Star Wars experts. As it will be stocked in all sorts of non gaming / mass market stores.

Xwing vs 2 TIEs...

Once people are into the game, they can then start caring about obscure factions like Scum or Separatists.

The Core Set is a gateway into the Xwing game. You only need 1 to save expenses, and this does the job perfectly.

Edited by Darth Seridur

With the increase in the number of factions from 3 to 7, I think something along the lines of the Runewars Essentials Pack would be an excellent idea, and the most efficient way of solving the core set issue without having to keep 3+ core sets on the shelves..  I could see the Clone Wars factions drawing new players to the game, and it seems potentially off-putting to make people who only want to play CIS or Republic have to buy a Rebellion vs Imperial core set.

8 minutes ago, ObiWan said:

If I played x wing 1.0 and have that core set, do I need the new 2.0 core set to play now or can I just buy a conversion kit?

Rocks and dice are the same, but you need a damage deck and templates. Some pilots and upgrades are also exclusive to the core set.

2 hours ago, Jarval said:

With the increase in the number of factions from 3 to 7, I think something along the lines of the Runewars Essentials Pack would be an excellent idea, and the most efficient way of solving the core set issue without having to keep 3+ core sets on the shelves..  I could see the Clone Wars factions drawing new players to the game, and it seems potentially off-putting to make people who only want to play CIS or Republic have to buy a Rebellion vs Imperial core set.

I was thinking as the game grows it would probably start to do things like Warhammer where you get a variety of starter packs and faction packs, maybe based on scenarios.  The Runewars pack looks like the most likely direction, however, since this is a model FFG already has in place.  This would also be a cheaper way to replace worn/lost templates and get enough cardboard (like the limited shield tokens) if you just buy one conversion pack.

7 hours ago, DakkaDakka12 said:

Stop crying ive bought 3 core sets and I play Scum.

original core

force awakens core

2nd edition core

That was then. this is now.

4 hours ago, SOTL said:

Get over it.

4 minutes ago, SOTL said:

Here's the game, there's the door... it's your call.

Yeah, mostly that's just you being an arrogant ***.  If a new player wants to get into the game and is told they have to buy a box with 3 ships in it just to get templates and a damage deck, then throw the ships away to buy the faction they really want, that is a barrier to entry.

54 minutes ago, Drasnighta said:

The X-Wing core sets are almost universally acclaimed as being Good Value For Money.

I mean, its not like you've got to deal with the Core Set that Armada has, or anything...

In the vast majority of game systems, the Core Set is usually far and away the best value since they want you to buy the Core as a "gateway" to then buying lots of other stuff for the game.  In my twenty some years of tabletop gaming, the Core Sets are always amazing deals and you can always find people buying multiple of them for the value.  Armada is the lone exception to this, of course, and is terrible value to cost.  Even if you want to run the ships in the Core, most of the time you want to do it with a title or upgrade that it is in the ship's expansion pack.