Ling27

Ling's Imperial Naval Commander's Manual 10-3

Hey everyone,

I wanted to do a little thing to help new people, but also have fun and produce a fun little publication similar to a military document. So I present the first parts of the Imperial Naval Commander's Manual 10-3: Imperial Naval Battlegroups and Squadrons.

Imperial Naval Commander's Manual 10-3

So this will be similar to FM 7-8, Infantry Platoon and Squad operations. But, not 400 pages. I'll likely shoot for general tactics (congolines, slashs, ect.), shirt ship reviews with numbers and the ships purpose of both imperial and rebel vessels, and small pages on upgrades, their effects that have been FAQ'd and other small things like that. When I finish all the text, I will release a .pdf version that will be printable.

Please let me know what you think of the idea, if there is anything you would like to see specifically, or any questions you have.

- Ling27

'Take the High Ground'

"This manual supersedes CM 10-3 Grand Army of the Republic: Commander’s Manual to Naval Battlegroups and Squadrons, dated GRSC-950; as well as CM 13-9 Republic Naval Commander’s Manual to Independant Squadron Operations, dated 989 GRSC."

Good to know the groundwork is there if we get Clone Wars (and you feel like a follow-up is in order.) 😀

Edited by The Jabbawookie

2 hours ago, The Jabbawookie said:

"This manual supersedes CM 10-3 Grand Army of the Republic: Commander’s Manual to Naval Battlegroups and Squadrons, dated GRSC-950; as well as CM 13-9 Republic Naval Commander’s Manual to Independant Squadron Operations, dated 989 GRSC."

Good to know the groundwork is there if we get Clone Wars (and you feel like a follow-up is in order.) 😀

Glad you liked that. That is how actual military manuals are worded these days. Even the Blue Book, or "Regulations for Order and Disipline of the Troops of the United States" written by Friedrich Wilhelm August Heinrich Ferdinand Steuben (Baron von Steuben) had many references and things from prussian and british infantry manuals of the time. And its been updated since then and is still in use. I will likely have a few other fun easter eggs and jokes for military and civilians in this.

3 hours ago, idiewell said:

I look forward to it, Ling27.  I can't promise that certain Rebel players :trying to look innocent: MAY put some of your theories to practice... 🙂

I am sure its on the Holonet somewhere. Military publications frequently find there way onto mass media consumption things like that. You can find all of Russia's dating back to the second world war on the internet. Not before that, but thats what happens when revolutions with multiple factions viaing for control does. Not to mention imperial traitors who have joined the rebel alliance.

Hi Ling27! I like your idea! The only thing you might consider is using a more arrogant tone or some fictive quotes made by imperial admirals, inspired by von Clausewitz, Sun Tsu or Jomini. This isn't necessary, but could connect your document to the "New Order" ideology of the Empire.

Anyway, I'm looking forward to see more!

5 hours ago, Cpt. Caine said:

What's your MOS? 

I am a 25M multimedia illustrator. Aka: graphic artist. I also have my army/kodak printing press operators qualification, and have made tens of thousands of print series in that time, and have done that for the last four years on top of creating thousands of graphics products.

Making a document wont be hard.

6 hours ago, Nebukadnezzar said:

Hi Ling27! I like your idea! The only thing you might consider is using a more arrogant tone or some fictive quotes made by imperial admirals, inspired by von Clausewitz, Sun Tsu or Jomini. This isn't necessary, but could connect your document to the "New Order" ideology of the Empire.

Anyway, I'm looking forward to see more!

Good Idea, I'll look into that.

I've worked on the Google Drive Doc, in the original post, and I've created a demo .pdf. I would love to hear about any thoughts on the PDF format. I've gone with a top and bottom border similar to the design of the Imperial Handbook that was released. This is to create a sort of common theme of Imperial printed documents. The .pdf size is created to be a 5.5x8.5, or one half ANSI paper size A, Letter (the U.S. Standard home printer size). It will fit A4 paper as well, you'll just have a slight bit to cut off unless you don't mind or want to bind on one side. Below is the link to the Demo.

Imperial Commanders Manual 10-3: Imperial Naval Squadron (Demo)

1 hour ago, Darth Lupine said:

As a student of military history and retired US Army tank commander, this is pretty cool!

Thank you. I am using a combination of things including FM17-15. My father was an armor officer as well. I am just a multimedia illustrator.

I like the concept and graphic design. As a fleet game I'd go with naval terms instead of army terms the way Timothy Zahn does in the current Thrawn series (Fleet>Task Force>Task Group>ship or fighter squadron). Here's a USN War Instructions Manual from 1944 http://www.ibiblio.org/hyperwar/USN/ref/WarInst/index.html or https://www.history.navy.mil/content/dam/nhhc/browse-by-topic/War and Conflict/WWII/War Instructions USN 1944 U.S. Fleet.pdf

If it is intended for new players it would be best to shorten the preface and maybe have it drip with Imperial hubris. It should be readable for casual players as not all of us download military PDFs or follow the the Angry Staff Officer https://angrystaffofficer.com/category/star-wars/

Thanks for sending me down an internet rabbit hole.

6 hours ago, Qualitypunk said:

I like the concept and graphic design. As a fleet game I'd go with naval terms instead of army terms the way Timothy Zahn does in the current Thrawn series (Fleet>Task Force>Task Group>ship or fighter squadron). Here's a USN War Instructions Manual from 1944 http://www.ibiblio.org/hyperwar/USN/ref/WarInst/index.html or https://www.history.navy.mil/content/dam/nhhc/browse-by-topic/War and Conflict/WWII/War Instructions USN 1944 U.S. Fleet.pdf

If it is intended for new players it would be best to shorten the preface and maybe have it drip with Imperial hubris. It should be readable for casual players as not all of us download military PDFs or follow the the Angry Staff Officer https://angrystaffofficer.com/category/star-wars/

Thanks for sending me down an internet rabbit hole.

Oh my lord, thank you. I couldnt find any naval things ANYWHERE. And I agree, I'll make adjustments regarding the naval nomenclature and make it easier to follow for more people.