Sign in to follow this  
WonderWAAAGH

KeyForge: Gateway to CCGs?

1 hour ago, saluk64007 said:

Ok, I see what you are saying. I do think there will be a contigent of keyforge players who come in because it's approachable, get the inkling to switch cards around without fully enjoying or buying into the fact that finding the deck they would like to put together will require trading, buying a deck on secondary, or buying a bunch of random decks until they find it. From there, it's reasonable to assume they may opt to look for a game that does allow the customization they are actually looking for - even if they didn't realize that's what they wanted at first.

Which is super cool! The flow can definitely be both ways.

Absolutely. When players start to realize that $100+ for a box of decks is no guarantee that many (or most) of them will be enjoyable, they may begin to wonder if that money wasn't better spent elsewhere. And if you're going to invest that much quiche, you might as well do it someplace where you can at least change a few cards. 

2 hours ago, WonderWAAAGH said:

Absolutely. When players start to realize that $100+ for a box of decks is no guarantee that many (or most) of them will be enjoyable, they may begin to wonder if that money wasn't better spent elsewhere. And if you're going to invest that much quiche, you might as well do it someplace where you can at least change a few cards. 

Well, if spending $100 for a cohesive and competitive deck is too much, they sure won't find that with Magic.

5 hours ago, WonderWAAAGH said:

They could just go to the KeyForge secondary market and buy a deck that suits their needs for $12 to $16.

The KeyForge secondary market is pretty reasonable if you’re not looking for Horsemen or Timetravellers.

If you are playing CCG’s competitively good luck building tier 1 decks for $100. For the same amount I could buy 5 or 6 competitive KeyForge decks I know I want to own.

I’m taking a deck I bought from CSI for $12 to my tournament tomorrow. I bought it because it had a Bear Flute with 2 Acient Bears and a Neutron Shark. Cards I knew I wanted, but didn’t have in any of my decks.

I used to play quite a few different CCGS in the 90s and early 00s.  Thanks to KeyForge not only am I now getting into Warhammer: Champions despite the deckbuilding, but I've started going back and looking at my old collections, and what I really want to start playing again is Guardians by FPG.  For those that don't know it, which is sadly probably everyone reading this, Guardians was a CCG from 1995 that played as much like a boardgameas anything else.  There was territory control, a type of hidden movement, and it actually played 2-4 players really, really well.  My main gaming group these days is 3 players, so Guardians would be perfect.  The only thing holding it back, or really, holding me back, is the deck building which is really quite involved, but I think I'm going to try and revive it among my friends, at least.  Besides, I still have an unopened box of decks and a case, yes, a case, of unopened booster boxes.

The only thing stopping me is time.  I'm not in my twenties any more, I have two young boys and a wife, a house, two cars and several animals to attend to, as well as my business, so I don't know if I'll be able to play any CCG type game other than KeyForge, because with KeyForge I can just play, but these other games are more like DMing an RPG when it comes to time commitments, and I just don't know if I can swing it.  I certainly don't play D&D anymore for the exact same reasons.

I loved Guardians.  Probably the only CCG that they stopped making sets for DESPITE strong sales.  The designers didn't want to dilute the game.  Seriously?  I don't think they grasped the CCG model. : - )

I need to dig out my Guardians cards and throw some exploding pigs at my gaming group.