4wallz

FFG Doesn't Seem to be Interested in New LOTR Players

Yes I know they are releasing new stuff for it.  But the reprint time on the old packs keep stretching out longer and longer.  The Dwarrowdelf cycle has been out of stock for a year.  The new stuff keeps the old player base excited.  But it stifles new players coming in because they can't get some of the key fun cards from the older sets. 

Is that FFG's goal?  They don't care about new players to the game?  Just keep the old ones happy until the license runs out.  Makes me suspicious about what's going on behind the curtain.

Then again, maybe they are just so busy with Keyforge, SW Legion, the Digital game, etc, that LOTR isn't high on the agenda.  I don't know.  What do you guys think?

3 hours ago, 4wallz said:

Yes I know they are releasing new stuff for it.  But the reprint time on the old packs keep stretching out longer and longer.  The Dwarrowdelf cycle has been out of stock for a year.  The new stuff keeps the old player base excited.  But it stifles new players coming in because they can't get some of the key fun cards from the older sets. 

Is that FFG's goal?  They don't care about new players to the game?  Just keep the old ones happy until the license runs out.  Makes me suspicious about what's going on behind the curtain.

Then again, maybe they are just so busy with Keyforge, SW Legion, the Digital game, etc, that LOTR isn't high on the agenda.  I don't know.  What do you guys think?

My guess is that the print version of LotR LCG isn't a high priority right now.  They're clearly investing some effort into the new online version.  I think that's where the new players come in.

I believe all of their resources were diverted into printing the Keyforge decks, which I imagine is a lot more difficult given their randomization. I think the fact that it's constantly selling out is a sign that it's a good product and that they should make more of it, though.

Edited by esplanades
missing word

I had the same problem in 2015 when I got into LOTR.  I had holes in my collection for a while until they finally saw a reprint.  LOTR just has such a large catalogue that it's hard to keep it all in print.  At the same time I'm sure FFG prioritizes their newer game launches to ensure their success (and I can't fault them for that).  I don't think it's a case of FFG not caring about getting new people into LOTR LCG.  If they weren't proud and confident in the product they wouldn't have chosen it first to be converted to a digital format.

You try keeping 60+ tightly related products constantly in print and profitable and tell us how you do.  :)

I don't think the older sets being out of print really has a negative impact on newer players. Yes there are some universally useful cards in older sets, but does that hurt new players, or new players who want to go all in?

To be honest the older adventure's weren't  anywhere near as good as the newer adventures.  So it's really only about the player cards and being a completionist.  I never really go back and play anything from the first two cycles anymore unless I'm trying out a nightmare deck.

On ‎12‎/‎13‎/‎2018 at 10:59 AM, qwertyuiop said:

You try keeping 60+ tightly related products constantly in print and profitable and tell us how you do.  :)

I don't think the older sets being out of print really has a negative impact on newer players. Yes there are some universally useful cards in older sets, but does that hurt new players, or new players who want to go all in?

Yeah that's a good point about the older sets.  It just affects us completionists.  lol