naitsirk

Vader and palp

Hi guys!

Do you think is any possible combination with this two monsters? Perhaps with royal guards or naked troopers?

I want to try them in a battle against a friend and any combination i put in tabletop admiral seems too weak even for fighting a friend :(

Tried Vader, Palpatine, Royal Guards, Boba Fett, 2 x Stormtroopers and 1 x Snowtroopers few days ago and it worked out pretty well, suprisingly. RG's shield Palpatine nicely and he wrecks havoc pretty much right away when he gets into range, Vader managed by himself really well so Palpatine's only weakness is his low health, but Guardian is the keyword here definitely.

5 hours ago, xmarkusx said:

Tried Vader, Palpatine, Royal Guards, Boba Fett, 2 x Stormtroopers and 1 x Snowtroopers few days ago and it worked out pretty well, suprisingly. RG's shield Palpatine nicely and he wrecks havoc pretty much right away when he gets into range, Vader managed by himself really well so Palpatine's only weakness is his low health, but Guardian is the keyword here definitely.

Wow this is so much risky even for my best evil plans! All points in 3 miniatures, this sounds like imperial assault skirmish haha

I will try this today: vader, palpatine, royalguards with stunbatton, 3 dlt troopers and a sniper... may the force be with me!

2 hours ago, buckero0 said:

How do people use Boba Fett?

I want him to be good but those black dice almost never (for me)  hit and his action economy is terrible.

He's not bad for his points, but he needs Hunter. So, for 146 points (I don't think you need/want anything else on him), he is really quite good for his cost, but he is a scalpel. You are correct about his action economy, because he needs to move as one of his actions every turn (end of turn move out of LOS blocking cover, attack, start of next turn attack, retreat to LOS blocking cover). In light of this, Boba is what he sets out to do: he is a killer of enemy heroes. Once you get 1 wound on your target, Boba starts doing really well, and can reliably kill a Leia or a Han, though it may take a few turns. If nothing else, you'll freak them out and force them to play sub-optimally.  His two command cards that add weapons are a huge help, especially since they add red dice (that surge to crit, of course). He is one of the few heroes that can attack at Range 3 (although 2 is his sweet spot) but on turn two it is a good time to play his Rocket card, and ideally you can line up a range 3 shot for maximum effect (but don't be afraid to split your fire, as the enemy will get no benefit from cover).

Overall Boba is a nice addition to a squad and serves as a good anti-Luke device (his 1 Pip). If you have a heavier hitter in your army (Vader, Palp, ATST), I don't really think he's needed (plus too many points spent at that point) but as a 'budget' center-piece, he works well in a Veers army (and soon, in a Krennic army). He isn't Luke or Vader, but Luke decked out ends up a good 33% more expensive (Luke tends to be 180-195), so you get what you pay for.

Vader+palp surprisingly good, i won against a leia/luke trooper spam playing intercept transmissions.

Key things:

-Vader can take care of himself

-palp order sniper each round means around 2-3 health per round in leia (or wathever commander you want except luke or vader).

-troops play defensively a lot, in cover, play objetives and better dodge than aim. 

-in the last round palp uses his 1 pip command to clean up the center objetive.

A friend of mine is considering this.  I find the idea of Sheev pulling strings combined with an Implacable Vader to move him 4 towards me is slightly worrying.

But I like the idea of him taking the armoured giant and tossing him overarm downfield.  

13 hours ago, Sith Lord Revan said:

Do you actually have a strong army when you lack activation with the 2 commanders?

Activation is important but it doesn't make a strong army- it helps with setting up the initial engagement.  Sooner or later you get to a stage where you want to activate your units first to cause damage, at which point you want maximum force being employed as quickly as possible.   In Armada, star destroyers sort of work on this principle- once you get to mid-game, go first and leave nothing standing to fight back. 

Multiple activations can certainly pile on suppression over the course of the turn but Annie and Sheev can outright destroy units they get the drop on.  

On the other hand I still run an airspeeder in every game so this could all be entirely wrong.

8 hours ago, Katarn said:

Activation is important but it doesn't make a strong army- it helps with setting up the initial engagement.  Sooner or later you get to a stage where you want to activate your units first to cause damage, at which point you want maximum force being employed as quickly as possible.   In Armada, star destroyers sort of work on this principle- once you get to mid-game, go first and leave nothing standing to fight back. 

Multiple activations can certainly pile on suppression over the course of the turn but Annie and Sheev can outright destroy units they get the drop on.  

On the other hand I still run an airspeeder in every game so this could all be entirely wrong.

Fun and theme over optimize play. Is my creed

16 hours ago, naitsirk said:

Fun and theme over optimize play. Is my creed

I read some White Dwarf articles back in the nineties (I think) that suggested that people should build armies based on themes and then stick with them.  Real commanders don't get to pick their armies so it's more realistic but also fun in its own way.  It might have been Nigel Stillman maybe?  It turned out to be good advice in my case.

In any case, twin Sith Lords getting their murderlust sated sounds like a good theme.

Edited by Katarn

On 12/4/2018 at 6:40 PM, naitsirk said:

Hi guys!

Do you think is any possible combination with this two monsters? Perhaps with royal guards or naked troopers?

I want to try them in a battle against a friend and any combination i put in tabletop admiral seems too weak even for fighting a friend :(

Vader and Palp is very viable.  Try running them with 2 naked guards and 3 squads of storm troopers with no heavy, an extra trooper and frag grenades.  You will want Saber throw, force reflexes and Force push on Vader, and Anger + Force reflexes on Palp. 795 points.

The strategy is move up safely toward the objective which you should always plant as close together as possible (you should put both intercept transmission tokens as close to the center token as possible) etc.  That way you can ensure your opponent has to fight you for objectives.  turn 2 or 3 bust our Palp and use his 1 pip until he has one life left, focusing on squads, not commanders.  You can completely eliminate 4 squads in that turn easy if you have positioned right.  If they try to hang back then you win objectives.  They will be forced to attempt to kill Palp who rolls 4/6 blocks on defense with suppression and a dodge (force reflexes), or leave him to continue to dish out damage each turn he is left alive.  Clean house with Vader.  Pull strings with the guard to get them a triple/quadruple (if you used New Ways to Motivate Them) move in one round to ensure they can get engaged and have their charge trigger.  Vader will clean up the leftovers.  It is devastating.  Don't play it against people you like....they won't have fun...lol.

21 hours ago, weebaer said:

Vader and Palp is very viable.  Try running them with 2 naked guards and 3 squads of storm troopers with no heavy, an extra trooper and frag grenades.  You will want Saber throw, force reflexes and Force push on Vader, and Anger + Force reflexes on Palp. 795 points.

The strategy is move up safely toward the objective which you should always plant as close together as possible (you should put both intercept transmission tokens as close to the center token as possible) etc.  That way you can ensure your opponent has to fight you for objectives.  turn 2 or 3 bust our Palp and use his 1 pip until he has one life left, focusing on squads, not commanders.  You can completely eliminate 4 squads in that turn easy if you have positioned right.  If they try to hang back then you win objectives.  They will be forced to attempt to kill Palp who rolls 4/6 blocks on defense with suppression and a dodge (force reflexes), or leave him to continue to dish out damage each turn he is left alive.  Clean house with Vader.  Pull strings with the guard to get them a triple/quadruple (if you used New Ways to Motivate Them) move in one round to ensure they can get engaged and have their charge trigger.  Vader will clean up the leftovers.  It is devastating.  Don't play it against people you like....they won't have fun...lol.

Need impacts on the 3 stormies, not frags.  3 atrt lists will melt you if you don't.