Sign in to follow this  
Dalek5

The Meta?

So my local game-store held a bring your own deck tournament.  I believe it was unofficial.

11 of the 12 people brought decks with shadows + dis, then one other.

Is this the games current meta? Or is it too small a sample?

We had a double elimination tournament with 22 players last weekend, you played one deck until you lost with it, then moved to your second deck.

In the top 3 players decks, there were 6 instances of Shadows, 4 instances of Logos, 2 each of Dis, Sanctum, and Untamed. and one of Brobnar and Mars. 

A lot of people like Shadows because it has a lot of Æmber control to it, so it's not surprising to see that show up pretty often. 

Edited by blinkingline

Dis cards can completely lock out your opponent, and if you are playing against shadows with no shadows yourself, it's going to be very frustrating, as all of your work goes into generating aember for your opponent. Untamed can actually counter shadows pretty well, by generating more aember anyway to make up for stolen, or just going fast enough and forging outside of the forge step. Dis is maybe countered by logos, as you can overdraw to avoid things that steal cards, limit your draw, or hurt you if you are relying on a single house. But it takes a lot more effort to play the counters than it does to just steal a bunch or repeatedly control the weak. Mars is very hard to use and needs the right deck, so most have either not found that, or not figured them out yet. Other factions can be good against each other, but board control is not as good as direct actions in general.

11 hours ago, TheSpitfired said:

It's probably worth noting that there is a direct correlation between the local meta and the observed distribution patterns of the game, if that makes sense.

More like the random pool of decks available - 50-60-ish decks (what I'd guesstimate to be a decently sized local communities pool) is still not a large sample size, after all.

I don't really believe that Dis and Shadows are stronger I just think they bring fairly straightforward tools that don't really require a high level of play to implement.

Shadows is just essentially easier to play effectively. They are probably one of the strongest sealed houses to get but for Archon format you can and should look at your opponent's decklist to know what tools they have on hand. There are quite a few cards in Logos specifically that can check a Shadows player aember stealing and if you can ignore elusive their creatures die in droves to low damage removal.

Dis is generally strong control or removal so overplaying against them is just going to get you board wiped or locked down.

Keep playing games and getting a feel for the pacing of the game. It is really cool how almost every one of my games has felt very different even in best out of three matches.

Edited by SinJ

The decks I tend to see do the best have some way to forge a key outside the forge step as well do something else well.  It could be aember control, creature control, card control.....it just can't be a one trick pony or it gets crushed.

Pure combo decks have not done better than 50/50 and a majority of them do much worse.

Dis and Shadows have some very strong effects at common so it's not surprising to see a lot of decks with one of, or both of those houses.

Locally we have instituted a "no duplicate houses" rule for Archon play.  If that rule wasn't in effect I would venture to guess that Dis, Shadows, and Logos would be the most popular houses.  However, what those houses actually do in-game will vary from deck to deck.  Sadly most of my decks with Shadows are very weak. My best two decks are Mars Logos Untamed and Mars Logos Dis..........but with our "no duplicate house" rule I have to play something else

Edited by Ishi Tonu

Dis and Shadow are generally the strongest houses in my area too, but they have lost every local tourney and rarely place in the top 3 when both are in the same deck.

Brobner and Sanctum seem to both perform more consistently, and are generally more preferred.

If I would rank the Houses, I think instead of making a single Tier list, I would split it into Core and Support

Brob and Sanc are T1 Core Houses

While Logos, Dis, and Shadow are T1 Support Houses

We will probably see a lot of Shadows, because the average powerlevel is a lot higher than that from other houses. While Brobnar, Sanctum and Mars can be strong, I think that they will see less play, because their power ceiling isn't as high as  the one from Untamed, Logos and Dis. Especially Untamed can counter a lot of the stuff that Shadows wants to do.

Stuff good decks have:

Lots of creatures (more creature-more reap-more aember)

Cards that get rid of one or, preferably, lots of cards

But you gotta have something that can remove aember from your opponents pool and/or something to stop them forging keys.

If you don't have that last part, if your opponent gets ahead in aember and keys it's almost over and done. Also: the feeling you get from having 10+ creatures out that can kill everything and reap tons of aember, only to realise there's nothing they can do to stop your opponent from turning his 6 aember into key nr.3 on his next turn, isn't a good feeling.

Dis and Shadow are the ones who are best at doing the last 2.

For a 3d House I'd pic Sanctum, because their creatures are harder to remove and they got some interesting ways to get hold of aember.