Dalek5

Chain When

Keyforge was great for its time, but already my game store is splitting between those that own like 100 decks and those of us that just own like three.

The groups do not want to interplay because the deck differences make it no fun.  People want to win and they will not volunteer take chains.  When will the chain tracking system come out.  Its not healthy for the population to split like this.

Its only a matter of time until only the player with the best deck comes to keyforge night.

So anyone know when the app will be out of beta?

32 minutes ago, Dalek5 said:

Keyforge was great for its time, but already my game store is splitting between those that own like 100 decks and those of us that just own like three.

The groups do not want to interplay because the deck differences make it no fun.  People want to win and they will not volunteer take chains.  When will the chain tracking system come out.  Its not healthy for the population to split like this.

Its only a matter of time until only the player with the best deck comes to keyforge night.

Great for it's time of 3 weeks?  The game hasn't officially been out for over a month. Your fatalism here is perhaps a bit unwarranted. Especially since it seems your problem is with your store their event organization. 

There are a couple of ways to fix your issue. The easiest would be for the store to host sealed events. Product has been hard to get, and so maybe they haven't been able to do that. Sealed events tend to put everyone on level footing. 

If the store is hamstrung by unavailability, then they should look to organizing games in formats that are accommodating and interesting to everyone involved. Adaptive would be a great format here. 

If you have a relatively small crew of people, you might float the idea of Duplicate Keyforge. 

The game may be fun, but it is unbalanced, so I think watching the same deck do well in Archon slowly reduces the fun of play because the game is unfair. We have a player that has won about 6 events or more, at various venues around the city. Even if one TO puts chains on winning decks there will be TO's that don't. In fact one of the TO's did put on some chains, he just bought more decks.

The app is worthless to the balance of the game, we may not have a meta but we do have a game that works well for Mr Suitcase. As far back as GenCon we saw this problem, and the app was the fix.

While the delay may not be the end of the game, the delay will cause players to drop off because they can not keep up with the Mr Suitcases.

So while I don't share the hyperbole of the original post, I also believe the delay in the app is not going to be a cause for celebration.

4 hours ago, Dalek5 said:

Maybe I'm naive and still dreaming about the potential of the game versus the reality, but I feel like the players with only 3 decks should be absolutely destroying the players with 100. If you have that many decks you are constantly switching between them and there is no way you are learning yours, let alone remembering the specifics. I'm still on the (diminishing) train that believes each deck is nuanced and you have to play with them multiple times to really learn them, and I foolishly believe that any deck can win if you play it right. I know the latter is unrealistic but I can't help myself. Heart of the cards ;)

I have 8 decks and I've even done the ADHD analysis on them (I put minimal stock in it but that's a different post), but even if the analysis says otherwise I still believe my best deck is the very first one I got. It is still the one I enjoy playing with the most and it's the one I am most comfortable with. I also feel like I can look at my losses and identify key moments where I made poor decisions. I think there's a  variance on player skill that is extremely hard to track.

At the end of my strange rambling I can't help but think it might be better to classify this game as an extremely fun casual game and leave it at that. Due to the nature of how you purchase it and how some buy many more decks than others I just can't help but feel that this game cannot create the competitive environment that we want it to have. Is it fun and worth it to go to my FLGS and play friendly games and get alt. art chain cards for playing? Absolutely. Is it worth going to a regional/national/world championship and playing high level competitive games? I'm honestly not sure at this point.

tl;dr I don't think the game can be the competitive experience that everyone wants it to be but I still think it is and will be a great game that provides lots of enjoyment for a very long time.

Edited by TheSpitfired

7 hours ago, Amanal said:

The game may be fun, but it is unbalanced, so I think watching the same deck do well in Archon slowly reduces the fun of play because the game is unfair. We have a player that has won about 6 events or more, at various venues around the city. Even if one TO puts chains on winning decks there will be TO's that don't. In fact one of the TO's did put on some chains, he just bought more decks.

The app is worthless to the balance of the game, we may not have a meta but we do have a game that works well for Mr Suitcase. As far back as GenCon we saw this problem, and the app was the fix.

While the delay may not be the end of the game, the delay will cause players to drop off because they can not keep up with the Mr Suitcases.

So while I don't share the hyperbole of the original post, I also believe the delay in the app is not going to be a cause for celebration.

SO this player in your area received some chains, bought new decks, and is still winning. Have you stopped to considered there is a skill gap? 

We really need the app to add casual plays.

This way small groups can keep on playing and asssign chains properly.

No use of your own group because some players may use it to their own benefict adding tons of loses, but in your own group should be a nice option.

Strange no fan app haven't already appear providing this functionality.

5 hours ago, Shkar said:

Strange no fan app haven't already appear providing this functionality.

Strange that the app we pay for as part of our purchase dosen't.

12 hours ago, msieder said:

SO this player in your area received some chains, bought new decks, and is still winning. Have you stopped to considered there is a skill gap? 

2 boxes of decks isn't a skill gap. In sealed he does about as well as any of the good players.

56 minutes ago, Amanal said:

Strange that the app we pay for as part of our purchase dosen't.

2 boxes of decks isn't a skill gap. In sealed he does about as well as any of the good players.

I find your story about your area, where only one player has been able to cross section his skill with the ability to buy 24 decks of Keyforge as the reason he wins all of the local tournaments as highly suspect. 

4 hours ago, msieder said:

I find your story about your area, where only one player has been able to cross section his skill with the ability to buy 24 decks of Keyforge as the reason he wins all of the local tournaments as highly suspect.

Fair enough, but how does that invalidate the need for the App? After all chains will apply to player skill as much as deck balance.

It is now three weeks since the game came out and there is no indication that it will be available any time soon.

16 hours ago, Dalek5 said:

I'm actually not sure why the app was not ready at launch since it seems to be a major part of the product.

I agree.  I understand their need to collect metrics to be able to dictate the power of decks, the meta of the game, and to be able to then assign chains - however, this was part of the hype and I would like it.

Don't get me wrong - we don't have issues where I play with people being overly silly about always needing to win.  We like winning but we like having fun more and close games are fun.  

The ability to be able to assign our own chains in the app -  would be nice.

The ability to make player matches - that is scan my deck, scan my opponents deck and state who won (maybe even by how much) would be helpful to us the players and the developers as well to get the metrics we want (chains and power) and the metrics they need to determine which way the meta is going and find ways to tweak the game into a better state.

Just my two bits.

I agree - let's get the app functional - could we at least get some sort of official announcement on WHEN we can expect it?   We're looking at events  being in Archon mode for a while with the supply issues (so the stores say) so chain are sort of important.