Sign in to follow this  
Yepesnopes

Mount Gundabad

At the first glance Elf Guide is exactly the card I always wanted in my Silvan decks. I have been often choosing between the few Leadership 0 cost rescource accelerators, but this one seems to do it best, returning the Silvan as you like it. Choosing any hero, not only yours, is a great bonus, too.

And how much better is Greenwood Defender than Denfender of the Naith, especially with Thranduil.

3 minutes ago, lleimmoen said:

At the first glance Elf Guide is exactly the card I always wanted in my Silvan decks. I have been often choosing between the few Leadership 0 cost rescource accelerators, but this one seems to do it best, returning the Silvan as you like it. Choosing any hero, not only yours, is a great bonus, too.

And how much better is Greenwood Defender than Denfender of the Naith, especially with Thranduil.

This it it. Greenwood defender is a better replacement of defender of Naith in a good number of cases. Then if any of the two will make the deck cut is greatly depending on deckbuilding  and quests. Not auto include in Silvan deck but a solid option to consider where multiple defense is needed.

The event is ok and a worth addition to the archetype.  Again not necessarlily an auto include but a good option to have. 

With elvenking release,  Silvan event become less mandatory for the archetype freeing a lot of space in deck for different choices. I think no Silvan event now is by definition an auto include while all remains good options to choose from. Which is only good.

Yes, it is already hard to make the cut for many of the allies. I have been playing the deck since I first seen the cards spoiled (long before they came out) and basically never stopped. And came to the magic number of 26 Silvan allies that has not changed recently.

Anyway, do you think, we shall see the second Silvan event also for Lore and Tactics? There is only one pack left in this cycle...

PS. I only run a single copy of the Elven-king and I prefer the events mostly. Partly because neither Celeborn nor Thranduil are neccessarily oft needed for double duty, and the events are powerful in their primary effects and possible to fetch with the Minstrel.

Edited by lleimmoen

Yes, the power of elvenking isprimarily in being a  repeatable effect able to return constanlty allies to hand and secondly in the reading effect itself. Both celeborn and thranduil has stats making worth readying even if not outstanding when not buffed and often it won't be the case.

Silvan  is now an archetype  down to choices: few silvan event and more attachemt or more silvan event and less attachment? Galadriel or not? If  yes with many toys or none? with many blue cards (light of valinor for celeborn +  mirkwood knife) and resource acceleration ( steward?, new silvan event? Captain Winston on Galadriel?). 

How many combat allies from tactic? How many green utility allies? 

Sneak attack and Gandalf or not space enough?

Very good tale for long term board state improvement or no?

So many valid choices... 

Edited by Halberto

On 2/5/2019 at 6:30 PM, Alonewolf87 said:

Sure thing, here you go (we have a couple of very good Silvan new options, besides the already spoiled Hobbit cards, and a new interesting Spirit armor)

https://imgur.com/a/6ORK1KM

Sorry for the bad quality of the pictures.

POD quests are a problem for me also (I am still missing Attack on Dol Guldur and The Wizard's Quest), but I use this store

Awesome! Thanks! Care to post the spoilers for the encounter and quest cards?

7 minutes ago, Alonewolf87 said:

I don't feel too good about doing that, sorry.

@Alonewolf87 Could you at least reveal the name of the 6th pack, as it can be read at the end of the story insert (without actually reading the story insert obviously)?

Edited by Gizlivadi

2 minutes ago, Gizlivadi said:

@Alonewolf87 Could you at least reveal the name of the 6th pack, as it can be read at the end of the story insert (without actually reading the story insert obviously)?

Hi. My store in France did the same mistake. I ve got Mount Gundabad 😀

6th pack name is : The Fate Of Wilderland. 

Mount Gundabad is official difficulty 8,and seems pretty hard. 

37 minutes ago, Valiko33 said:

Mount Gundabad is official difficulty 8,and seems pretty hard. 

Yeah, there's only four other quest with an official difficulty rating of 8. Still none with a 9 or 10.

Tonight with my girlfriend we played back to back The Ghost of Framsburg and Mount Gundabad, winning them both once. We found much harder The Ghost of Framsburg (it took us three tries to win, while one was enough for Mount Gundabad), probably because our decks can't handle very well lots of threat increases (and also because there are quite a few effects in The Ghost of Framsburg which block readying effects, around which we build a lot) and are instead very well versed in handling brutal combats so Mount Gundabad was easier for us. Playing Mount Gundabad we ammitedly had some luck with the quest order at the beginning (less so afterwards) and we were able to finish it in the combat phase of the 6th turn.

In any case they are both very thematic and interesting quest, especially Mount Gundabad that really sold the whole "wandering in the ruins with a dragon roaming around" feel. Totally approved.

Main problem with Lore Glorfindel's ability is the limit, in my opinion.  You have ways to deckbuild and get around the cost (I don't think it matters that the ways to get those resources are mostly non-Lore cards; a card doesn't need to exist in a mono-sphere vacuum in order to be "good").  Having healing right from the start of the game can be a big deal in some scenarios or decks.  With a higher limit, he could be the *only* healing card in your deck (as long as you don't really need to heal allies).  As he is, he certainly cannot pull that weight. So if you think you need healing and include Glorfindel, you're going to be including Glorfindel *and* some other healing cards on top of that. This shifts his role in a deck. His ability doesn't provide the cornerstone which makes your deck work, he ends up providing 'insurance' basically.  

I've thought some about cards which would revitalize lore Glorfindel specifically, but have come up blank.  Any idea I has would end up being overpowered by the existence of other cards.  Ideas revolve around 1) providing some benefit when you pay a resource to activate a hero card's Action ability, or 2) providing some benefit when healing a card.  Either would make other existing cards too powerful.  I guess you could make it super restricted or even make it "Attach to Glorfindel," but I tend to dislike cards that belong to 1 and only 1 character.

There are several cases where the devs have errataed a card to make it better, but I think in no case was the card printed as originally designed and then errata-ed for the purpose of making it more playable.  Arkenstone was clearly a misprint, and I suspect Ravens of the Mountain was probably a misprint.  Out of the Wild received positive errata (adding the card to the victory display makes it better for a victory display deck, which is the primary use of the card), but it seems obvious to me that it was done to prevent its use in a degenerate case.

It's not a player card, but the changes to Troll Purse and Troll Key make it easier to get the treasures from the first Hobbit quest; I don't know if those were misprinted originally or they did just change them to make it easier on the player.

I wish the devs *would* errata player cards to make them more playable, though I appreciate them inventing new cards that synergize with old bad cards.

Sometimes the process and repercussion of errata are more trouble than having a few less playable cards. Yes those cards are less powerful, but that has no effect on the game's overall health. I think the developers might want to limit the amount of errata given since players then have cards that say and actually do different things. Just my two cents as to why we haven't gotten positive player card errata.

Has anyone read or heard any update on this pack? I know someone from Italy received it. My buddy and I are wrapping up the saga and hes running a hobbit deck. We sure would love to have these player cards support hobbit decks for the last three scenarios.

22 hours ago, player3351457 said:

Has anyone read or heard any update on this pack? I know someone from Italy received it. My buddy and I are wrapping up the saga and hes running a hobbit deck. We sure would love to have these player cards support hobbit decks for the last three scenarios.

I received it today in Italy.  I bought it on Amazon.  Outrageous price (29€) but given how hard has become to find new packs in Italy of late i preferred not to lose it now that it is available only to regret it later on.

Posted (edited)

Do we have a track how is it between the releases of the packs, and thus when we can see the Fate? Of course there had been ages of delays in the last couple years but it seems this last cycle is coming in a regular intervals, more or less. Or am I disillusional?

Edited by lleimmoen

Posted (edited)

More or less two months between packs this cycle, so expect Fate of Wilderland in (probably early- or mid-) June.

Edited by naverag