Sign in to follow this  
Yepesnopes

Mount Gundabad

I don't think anyone has mentioned this yet but if paired with some of the myriad of Hobbit heroes in Spirit you could use Late Adventurer which would be extremely thematic. :)

17 hours ago, ColinEdwards said:

I was thinking this too, because spirit-Pippin has always been another hero that is a huge missed opportunity.

Thematically though, you want Bilbo to work with Dwarves and Gandalf.  If I want a thematic deck, I don't want Bilbo and Pippin, I want Bilbo-Gandalf-Thorin. It feels like there should be something there, and I am just not seeing it.

Thematically, Bilbo, Gandalf and Thorin didn't work together smoothly at all.  So if the deck reflects that, it's properly thematic!

I like that TaBilbo is especially good for SpPippin, not for thematic reasons (Pippin was very young when Bilbo left the shire), but because I love cards that make old little-used cards better.  It expands the effective card pool twice as fast.

Just thinking about some lineups for Bilbo, how about Argalad and Glorfindel. Assuming the combo with the former works, as I had been quite sure it would, Spirit Glorfindel would bring Hobbit Pony for Bilbo and Mirwkood Long-knife for Argalad, and a low threat to the party with Elrond’s Counsel. Weapons with Goblin-Cleaver and Gondorian Spearman could finish off many enemies. Initial questing should be ok but I am always a bit worried about it mid to end game without ally swarm and/or trait boosting.

Edited by lleimmoen

For me, that last cycle did not show any killer player card for me that would justify starting to buy any of it. Seems too me that most of the new cards are old acrd effects recycled. I love the gem and always will, but this las cycle... I won't bother.

5 hours ago, Lecitadin said:

For me, that last cycle did not show any killer player card for me that would justify starting to buy any of it. Seems too me that most of the new cards are old acrd effects recycled. I love the gem and always will, but this las cycle... I won't bother.

Grimbeorn.

3 hours ago, GrandSpleen said:

Grimbeorn.

Grimbeorn is certainly a stand-out, but Dain, Haldan and Bard are all really solid and open up new playstyles. I think the support for existing decks ( silvan, eagles ) has been good, and the addition of cards like the boots really help multiplayer play. Really been pleased with the new options; if anything, Grimbeorn is a bit too much power-creep (which reduces diversity in decks!)

It is one of the best fight hero for solo, but fight hero are still better in multiplayer.

There is no awesome interactions between Grimbeorn and others heroes, my personal lineup is TaAragorn Grimbeorn LeaDenethor , I have other tactics resource to spend, so I can keep Grimbeorn one for his ability, I play many attachments for boost Grimbeorn (and other characters) defense and attack. It work fine to me.

But the game changer cards of the cycle is Drinking Song. It enable so many strategies to be able to redraw your hand.

The current cycle has turned three different flavor attributes into tribes -- Dale, Woodmen, and Beorning.  Only the first of those is really strong at this point, but three new tribes is really unprecedented.  The mechanics of each (ally attachments, location attachments, ally replacement) seem pretty fresh to me.  YMMV.

I am particularly pleased to see cards that strengthen past coasters.  TaBilbo's effect is roughly similar to Argalad (who didn't get a threat penalty), effectively mitigating enemy threat while possibly doing direct damage.  But as the first *hobbit* to have that effect, Bilbo makes Spirit Pippin better.  And of course, any new direct damage heroes has synergy with old direct damage heroes.  Ultimately everything in the game comes down to questing successfully, surviving and defeating enemies, and not threating out -- every card in the game is just variation on accomplishing those tasks.  But the more ways the game gives me to do those core tasks, the greater the effective diversity of the game is to me.  I think this cycle has done a good job of that.

I don't know that Dori is the best partner for Grimbeorn, but I'm pretty sure (in one-deck solo) that Grimbeorn is the best partner for Dori.  There's no hobbit that works better with TaBilbo than Spirit Pippin.  Who's the third most unpopular hero?

As far as a single card goes, I'm very impressed with The Hidden Way's power.

18 minutes ago, dalestephenson said:

I don't know that Dori is the best partner for Grimbeorn, but I'm pretty sure (in one-deck solo) that Grimbeorn is the best partner for Dori.  There's no hobbit that works better with TaBilbo than Spirit Pippin.  Who's the third most unpopular hero?

As far as a single card goes, I'm very impressed with The Hidden Way's power.

Ah ah ah.

Not sure, it could be LoreGlofindel.  

I would love an partner hero making HIM more popular....

As for Spirit Pippin I'm not sure he will work so great with new Bilbo. I think Bilbo would partner well with any hobbit. Keep an enemy in staging and damage him with Bilbo. Engage a more manageable one and draw with lore pippin and defend with Sam or Tom in order to play an off sphere hobbit next round. Spirit merry is great too as he would grant access to hobbit pony and reduce your threat. Frodo could be less fitting but not obscenely bad.

Edited by Halberto

1 hour ago, dalestephenson said:

Fatty Bolger?

To be clear, I'm not saying that Spirit Pippin is necessarily the best hobbit to go with Tactics Bilbo, just as I'm not claiming that Dori is the best hero to go with Grimbeorn.  But the reverse is true -- *if* you play Spirit Pippin, he has synergy with Tactics Bilbo and no other hobbit.  Tactics Bilbo likes enemies in staging; Spirit Pippin's lone ability is to force enemies back to staging (for a cost).  [Of course, if Pippin uses his ability just once, his threat cost is the same as TaBilbo!)

Lore Glorfindel's biggest problem is Spirit Glorfindel.  If Spirit Glorfindel didn't exist, LoGlorfindel + Light of Valinor + Asfaloth is well worth the threat cost.  He does have synergy with Elrond and self-damaging heroes, but those are all high cost.  Maybe what LoGlorfindel needs is a self-damaging hobbit....

What Fatty needs is a hobbit that either mitigates or benefits from player-inflected threat raises.  This would also help SpPippin and SpFrodo.  Maybe something like this:

Lobelia Sackville-Baggins

2 wp, 2 att, 0 def, 2 hp (6 threat)

Response: After your threat is raised by any player card effect, exhaust Lobelia to reduce your threat by the same amount.

23 minutes ago, dalestephenson said:

Lore Glorfindel's biggest problem is Spirit Glorfindel. 

I think it is more that his threat is too high for his ability, and the cost better suited to Leadership or Gondor. He has synergy with a Elrond and Treebeard, but you aren't going to run the three of them together outside of specific missions (Shadow and Flame?) 

Make him 9 cost: 3-2-1-3 stats - "discard a card from your hand to heal a point of damage."

It's not that he is bad in a vacuum, but he doesn't really complent other heroes.

Edited by ColinEdwards

5 minutes ago, ColinEdwards said:

I think it is more that his threat is too high for his ability, and the cost better suited to Leadership or Gondor. He has synergy with a Elrond and Treebeard, but you aren't going to run the three of them together outside of specific missions (Shadow and Flame?) 

Make him 9 cost: 3-2-1-3 stats - "discard a card from your hand to heal a point of damage."

He'd see a lot of play.

Yeah. Lore glorfindel is probably the worst designed hero of the core set and difficult to bring back to regular play. His ability/sphere make him difficult to play. His cost/stats is totally fine.  But we had from cycle two better alternatives for questing and attacking (Elrond plus light of valinor equals glorfindel in terms of Acton attack and elrond abities are among the best in the game. Aragorn hit for 3 and had an ability totally game changing at the time of release). Basically with lore glorfindel you have a very good hero in terms of stats with high cost equalling those stats and basically no ability which is a crime for an high cost hero. Not enough considering all best alternatives around.

Fatty and Pippin need:

Hobbit Sense: 1 cost - spirit - after your threat is raised by a player card, discard Hobbit Ferocity to grant each Hobbit hero you control +1 attack, defense, willpower until the end of the phase. Reduce your threat by 1.

Edited by ColinEdwards

43 minutes ago, ColinEdwards said:

He'd see a lot of play.

True, but I stand by my point -- if Spirit Glorfindel didn't exist but Asfaloth did, he'd still see a lot of play.  Even if his ability would be better with a discard instead of resource cost (absolutely true), Asfaloth is fantastic on Glorfindel and only on Glorfindel.  Glorfindel's high cost and stat distribution are absolutely a practical problem, but the existence of a low-cost alternative with an identical statline -- and the same ability to exploit Asfaloth, has neutered the poor fellow.  Elrond's a fantastic, widely used hero with not one but two useful abilities.  Make a cost-six spirit Elrond with identical stats and Spirit Glorfindel's drawback, and it would *seriously* cut into Lore Elrond's popularity.

Spirit Glorfindel aside, I agree that his stats are poorly distributed.  Paying for 5 hp is tough when he has no defensive chops, and without any built-in readying his high wp/attack values means you're paying for something you don't use.  Since 30 threat was a magic bad number in the first cycle, that really limited the decks he could go in -- and it didn't help that the *one* quest where Glorfindel's ability would be really useful, he couldn't use it.

Still, since SpGlorfindel exists, the question then becomes how to make LoGlorfindel *in his current form* be more popular.  What you need is a self-damaging resource generator with low threat in lore.

@dalestephenson, I'll give a little pushback there. Asfaloth is a worthwhile card even without Glorfindel. Much better on Glorfindel, of course, but totally worth playing even without.

I agree that lore Glorfindel is a much better hero than he's normally given credit for. What he needs to bring him into use could be something as small as an attachment that keys off of spending a resource to activate an ability. Perhaps exhaust it to add a resource after you spend one on an ability. Works with Gildor and the twins, too.

2 hours ago, dalestephenson said:

What Fatty needs is a hobbit that either mitigates or benefits from player-inflected threat raises.  This would also help SpPippin and SpFrodo.  Maybe something like this:

Lobelia Sackville-Baggins

2 wp, 2 att, 0 def, 2 hp (6 threat)

Response: After your threat is raised by any player card effect, exhaust Lobelia to reduce your threat by the same amount.

At this point you're exhausting two heroes to mitigate one enemy's threat :D.

Anyway, I think L Glorfindel is woefully underrated.

Like most abilities, LoGlorfindel's ability costs 0 threat.  His high threat has nothing to do with his ability, it's simply a function of his high stats.

With that said, Dunedain Remedy is the closest equivalent to his ability, and that costs zero (the first hit is free).  It also can be used more than once per round and it's available in a non-Lore sphere.  OTOH, it's restricted to healing heroes.  And it's a great card....

I think Lore Glorfindel's underrated not because of his ability (though having always available healing *really is* valuable), but because of how good he is with his toys.