Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
Feuerphoenix

Some Questions towards Items

Recommended Posts

Hey fellas!

 

I have some questions regarding equipment from FnC, maybe you can help me out.

 

1. How does sanctified from the Condemnor Boltgun work? Do they "bless" their shots by firing, or is the sanctification just saying, that usually bolts from these weapons have been blessed before?

2. FnC introduced a lot of new Bolt ammunition. Where could an RT find it, and would it be produced for non SM boltguns at all?

3. Could and would a Missionary commission items from the church, and would they be his main source of equipment? How high is the position of a missionary in the ecclesiarchal society?

 

Maybe I get some more questions, I would post them below :)

 

Thanks for all answers in advance

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

1. RAW, just like melee. But "Sanctified" on a ranged weapon rather than ammunition can look a bit silly indeed, and why remove need for sanctified ammunition?

In Blood of Martyrs "Blessing a Melee Weapon" works just like "Sanctifying a Weapon", but only for the next encounter rather than permanently, while "Blessing a Ranged Weapon" does something else: in the next encounter the weapon is used, it ignores the first jam and gives +10 to BS vs. Daemons or Psykers.

So you could rule that a Sanctified ranged weapon gives the same advantages as "Blessing a Ranged Weapon", except permanently, i.e. for each encounter. IMHO that fits, is good enough to matter, yet still not too powerful when combined with sanctified ammunition.

2. Depends. Mostly from the usual sources, probably. Blessed Ammunition from priests, of course.

3. A Missionary is as good as his reputation. Generally, priests on Warp traveling ships and Missionaries have important jobs and it shouldn't surprise anyone they need supplies, but whether those supplies are actually available depends on the place. Especially blessed ammunition: it's Extremely Rare in FnC vs. Very Rare in IHB, so presumably there's always demand in ports, and it may be easier to bring your own and have it blessed than to find any surplus waiting for you.

More can be construed with services from BoM (see 40k RP Armory sheets) and some common sense. IMO the limitations are that those services require some time and an Acquisition Test (with Scale Modifier) at least for materials (they require incense, oils for anointment and whatnot). There can be options:

A. "Default" shipboard priests can provide most of those. Specifically, Confession normally should be done by the Ship Confessor (for bridge officers / Lord-Captain's trusted companions / etc) and assigned cadre of lesser confessors (for bulk of the crew).

B. "Manual" simulation: a PC or NPC priest must pass an appropriate Common Lore (Imperial Creed) test. The toughest is Sanctifying a Weapon (melee weapon permanently, or ammunition): the priest must have Rank ≥ 6 and the test is (-30) C.Lore (Imperial Creed). All other services have easier adjustments and no Rank prerequisite.

C. If you have no cleric of Rank 6 for Sanctifying a Weapon, find a station or dirt-side temple and roll an Acquisition Test for service (Very Rare). Scale Modifier hinders sanctifying too much of ammunition at once.

D. With a temple Component, Acquisition of materials for services can be part of maintenance of that component. Also, a good chance at having a permanent NPC priest of fairly rank working there permanently. Recruitment would probably involve a visit to some world with major Ecclesiarchy presence, then roleplay it all, taking the Lord-Captain's and vessel's reputation into account. The main problem, of course, is that a Rogue Trader needs at least somewhat agreeable priests.

Special case: Blessing an Undertaking implies it's done by someone other than participants, and the objective is generally Creed-friendly (i.e. "shoot some heretical pirates"/"wrest the relics of Humanity from Xenos vermin in those ruins" — yes, "dig dangerous xenotech for black market" — no). Also, the price tag (100 thrones for materials alone, 500 for the service) indicates it's a "major event" sort of a thing, but without explicit limits it still depends on how you look at "undertaking" — no reason why e.g. a shipboard priest could not bless the landing team before an important mission.

Obviously, Tech-priests have their own relationship with the Omnissiah and should not apply for these services, though may appreciate blessed ammunition.

Edited by TBeholder

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 12/4/2018 at 1:29 PM, TBeholder said:

1. RAW, just like melee. But "Sanctified" on a ranged weapon rather than ammunition can look a bit silly indeed, and why remove need for sanctified ammunition?

In Blood of Martyrs "Blessing a Melee Weapon" works just like "Sanctifying a Weapon", but only for the next encounter rather than permanently, while "Blessing a Ranged Weapon" does something else: in the next encounter the weapon is used, it ignores the first jam and gives +10 to BS vs. Daemons or Psykers.

So you could rule that a Sanctified ranged weapon gives the same advantages as "Blessing a Ranged Weapon", except permanently, i.e. for each encounter. IMHO that fits, is good enough to matter, yet still not too powerful when combined with sanctified ammunition.

2. Depends. Mostly from the usual sources, probably. Blessed Ammunition from priests, of course.

3. A Missionary is as good as his reputation. Generally, priests on Warp traveling ships and Missionaries have important jobs and it shouldn't surprise anyone they need supplies, but whether those supplies are actually available depends on the place. Especially blessed ammunition: it's Extremely Rare in FnC vs. Very Rare in IHB, so presumably there's always demand in ports, and it may be easier to bring your own and have it blessed than to find any surplus waiting for you.

More can be construed with services from BoM (see 40k RP Armory sheets) and some common sense. IMO the limitations are that those services require some time and an Acquisition Test (with Scale Modifier) at least for materials (they require incense, oils for anointment and whatnot). There can be options:

A. "Default" shipboard priests can provide most of those. Specifically, Confession normally should be done by the Ship Confessor (for bridge officers / Lord-Captain's trusted companions / etc) and assigned cadre of lesser confessors (for bulk of the crew).

B. "Manual" simulation: a PC or NPC priest must pass an appropriate Common Lore (Imperial Creed) test. The toughest is Sanctifying a Weapon (melee weapon permanently, or ammunition): the priest must have Rank ≥ 6 and the test is (-30) C.Lore (Imperial Creed). All other services have easier adjustments and no Rank prerequisite.

C. If you have no cleric of Rank 6 for Sanctifying a Weapon, find a station or dirt-side temple and roll an Acquisition Test for service (Very Rare). Scale Modifier hinders sanctifying too much of ammunition at once.

D. With a temple Component, Acquisition of materials for services can be part of maintenance of that component. Also, a good chance at having a permanent NPC priest of fairly rank working there permanently. Recruitment would probably involve a visit to some world with major Ecclesiarchy presence, then roleplay it all, taking the Lord-Captain's and vessel's reputation into account. The main problem, of course, is that a Rogue Trader needs at least somewhat agreeable priests.

Special case: Blessing an Undertaking implies it's done by someone other than participants, and the objective is generally Creed-friendly (i.e. "shoot some heretical pirates"/"wrest the relics of Humanity from Xenos vermin in those ruins" — yes, "dig dangerous xenotech for black market" — no). Also, the price tag (100 thrones for materials alone, 500 for the service) indicates it's a "major event" sort of a thing, but without explicit limits it still depends on how you look at "undertaking" — no reason why e.g. a shipboard priest could not bless the landing team before an important mission.

Obviously, Tech-priests have their own relationship with the Omnissiah and should not apply for these services, though may appreciate blessed ammunition.

 

Thanks for the answer :) Well I am asking for the bolt gun as one of my characters were allowed to have it as a starting item. I must say I am impressed, how well this weapon performs, as you carry a half sniper with ya. But my GM removed the sanctified trait from the bolter, but not from the crossbow, which felt odd. Still I get the feeling, that extr. rare is actually too common for the condemnor, as it is for a lot of stuff in FnC.

BTW: I assume you have a similar opinion towards all other weapons with the sanctified trait? Like the incinerator, the "special" Autopistol? 

Another question came into my mind: What is unnatural perception actually good for? I haven't found one skill that relies on perception bonus or is it just for better contesting of concealed enemies?

And how hard is it for an RT Character to get his hands on more than common craftsmanship? I have the feeling it should not be that hard, as the game indicates, that RT chars have the money and the power to get best gear available fairly easy. Is this assumption correct (always depending on connections, availability etc)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, Feuerphoenix said:

 

Well I am asking for the bolt gun as one of my characters were allowed to have it as a starting item. I must say I am impressed, how well this weapon performs, as you carry a half sniper with ya. But my GM removed the sanctified trait from the bolter, but not from the crossbow, which felt odd. Still I get the feeling, that extr. rare is actually too common for the condemnor, as it is for a lot of stuff in FnC.

Condemnor explicitly uses Purgatus stakes, i.e. specialized sanctified ammunition — which is why these are Ex.Rare like all other sanctified ammunition.

To think of it, it should have some sort of training ammunition made, and other variants can't be much harder to make than crossbow quarrels in any other size. Now, having them perform better than a variant crossbow would be harder. If you want to still have that Pen 2, you could just make them mono edged (for knives it's Scarce, and quarrel is of a comparable size, it's just that you need lots of them), and between that, improved precision and balance, even non-sanctified quarrels otherwise performing this far above common sort (Range x1.5, Dam +3 Pen +2, Accurate) may count as Exotic ammunition (V.Rare), or at least end up as demanding as mono-flechette loads (that are Rare).

Now, a Heavy Crossbow from IHB is (80m 1d10+4 pen 2), but it's heavier than the entire Condemnor with bolter part, and got 4 rounds long reload. Though if you use Variant Pattern rules from OW on it to "find" a variant that got Accurate, and maybe faster reload, give it some good sight and bump to Pen 4 with mono-quarrels, this can get hilariously lethal.

 

Quote

BTW: I assume you have a similar opinion towards all other weapons with the sanctified trait? Like the incinerator, the "special" Autopistol? 

Incinerator also uses special ammunition. Other than this — do it one way or another, as long as it's consistent.

Quote

And how hard is it for an RT Character to get his hands on more than common craftsmanship? I have the feeling it should not be that hard, as the game indicates, that RT chars have the money and the power to get best gear available fairly easy. Is this assumption correct (always depending on connections, availability etc)

Assuming it's there at all. -10 for [Good] isn't that much. [Best] is above all off-the-shelf stuff, so it's just not always there or needs special arrangements. Given other adjustments, it's more about making scale modifiers prohibitive, so that at most RT and retinue have Best stuff.

If you could convince GM to try Equipment Patterns variations from OW to acquire not-quite-standard local variations instead, there's more, but they come with trade-offs. Those changes include "Elegant Design" (Good Craftsmanship versions of this item count as Best) and "Exceptional Pattern" (+20 on tests to acquire with Good/Best Craftsmanship), which makes mass acquisition of [Best] stuff quite possible, but all variants come with at least 1 drawback. Of course, those variations also use post-BC rules, so certain entries would have to be dropped, modified or swapped for quirks from DH.

 

Edited by TBeholder

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Thanks for the quick answer :)

So, should the condemnor and the incinerator to exotic weapons? The more I think about, the more logic it appears to me. Plus it removes the whole thought of how to handle their ammunition. The accurate weapon trait, as far as I understand is not the result of the stakebolts. They don't give it to other crossbows. It is a trade of the weapon itself.

 

You have no thoughts on UN(Perception)?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 12/7/2018 at 12:31 PM, Feuerphoenix said:

Thanks for the quick answer :)

So, should the condemnor and the incinerator to exotic weapons? The more I think about, the more logic it appears to me. Plus it removes the whole thought of how to handle their ammunition.

I mean, those things are definitely not like common ammunition. There already were cases when ammunition count as Exotic (for Acquisition purpose), while the weapon itself fits a common class: "Blackhammer" Shotgun and "Flametongue" Howdah Pistol from IHB. So either that, or assign worse Availability directly.

Quote

The accurate weapon trait, as far as I understand is not the result of the stakebolts. They don't give it to other crossbows. It is a trade of the weapon itself.

Since it doesn't explicitly use common ammunition, it makes sense that its own ammunition has higher requirements than usual. Like sniper rifle rounds.

On 12/7/2018 at 2:02 AM, Feuerphoenix said:

What is unnatural perception actually good for? I haven't found one skill that relies on perception bonus or is it just for better contesting of concealed enemies? 

Yes, extra DoS on opposed tests. And since all Per based skills have opposed uses, including the most common ones (Awareness or Scrutiny vs. stealth skills), it's going to matter often enough. That is, ambushing a Kroot, Clawed Fiend, Lictor or certain Slaaneshi maniacs is not going to be easy.

Edited by TBeholder

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Alright :)

 

Well I think I would go with the exotic ammo in this case. No idea how my char can implement it, but well, looks like he won't have a sanctified weapon anymore :D But somehow he will find a way of using stakes of higher quality, that don't deny accurate O.O

 

Well looks like unnatural perception has its place, makes a lot of sense.

 

One more thing: what is the meaning of Strange physiology? Do I have to deal damage equal to wounds, like when something has 25 wounds I need to deal 25 damage at once, or does it mean there is no critical zone and it dies once it hits 0 wounds?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  

×