ZlaMysz

Buying oldies on the cheap :)

Hello,

I'm casual player with limited budget and very limited storage space for games.

Right now I have only Force Awakens core set and (taking advantage of v1 sales) I want to expand it to provide variety to skirmishes with my son, but for the above reasons I want to avoid buying more of the same ships and large or even medium ships.

So I chose below sets:

- Rebel Aces
- Imperial Aces
- Tie Advanced
- E-wing

Two questions regarding this choice:

- is this enough to build different squads in different games (in 100 points limit) or should I buy some additional ships like Tie Phantom and ARC-170?
- are those sets balances enough for Imperial and Rebel sides?

No tournaments, just home play.

Thanks in advance.

May I recommend printing (or proxying as we call it) upgrade cards for your casual play? It will allow you to play with the title card for the tie advanced and get more variety with your builds. Other than that you have enough ships to get about a hundred points on each side, probably swapping one ship out for another in every squad. Eventually you will probably want a bit more ship variety, but for now you have enough to get some fun games in. I would highly recommend your next purchase being another core set, the new hope one for variety. They are the best ship per dollar purchase you can make, and you will get another set of maneuver templates, and another set of dice. That might not sound really important but trust me you will want them.

In reference to your other question about balance, I wouldn't worry too much for casual play. The points system is enough to keep casual play balanced. Just build what looks cool and have fun with it.

For casual pay at my local store I bring a printed out list almost always.  Saves me a lot of time compared to pulling out the actual cards.
With the sets you have enough to play a good amount of lists.  There are also plenty of ships on Ebay on the cheap.

We played at home for months on 1.0. Bought a few of the packs to get started, like you. 

From there I just picked up ships cheaply from eBay and the Facebook sale groups, then printed and laminated every card we could possibly need. In regular batches. Which took some time :D

Still seems like the best way to cheaply play some fun games with all the bits and pieces. 

Buying ships 2nd hand has changed a bit with 2.0. First, they're not always quite as cheap as they were. Second, you'll very rarely get the 1.0 cardboard. Make sure you message the seller and ask for the 1.0 base tokens and dials at the very least. A lot of sellers may even throw in a bunch of extra 1.0 things they no longer use. Tokens may come in short supply, so if you can get some of them in as well....

Because I'm just kind of assuming that once you play some games, you'll want to buy some more ships.

Because that's how it goes.

Edited by Cuz05

That's a respectable stable of ships to begin with.

Also to consider would be the Y-wing, Z-95 or HWK-290 on the rebel side and the Imperial Veterans (TIE Bomber + Defender).

The 1st edition E-wing is too costly points-wise and the only shining star was Corran Horn, so be mindful of that.

-----------------------

I too agree about printing lists to proxy home games.

Two sites that are great for this are YASB as it's commonly called (Yet Another Squad Builder). It is no frills, just the text but it is very well put together.

The other is the Unofficial X-wing Miniatures Game Squad Builder which has a nice feature that when you go to print your squad list, you can select to have the full cards display and print out, which for me at least was super useful in the beginning.

2 hours ago, Cuz05 said:

Second, you'll very rarely get the 1.0 cardboard.

Yeah, that's cuz they burnt it all in a fit of pique. :lol:

2 hours ago, Force Majeure said:

That's a respectable stable of ships to begin with.

Also to consider would be the Y-wing, Z-95 or HWK-290 on the rebel side and the Imperial Veterans (TIE Bomber + Defender).

I would add the TIE Advanced Prototype to this list; it's pretty fun little ship and a step up from the basic TIE.

The other is the Unofficial X-wing Miniatures Game Squad Builder which has a nice feature that when you go to print your squad list, you can select to have the full cards display and print out, which for me at least was super useful in the beginning.

Unless something has changed, this one is pretty badly corrupted.

6 hours ago, Force Majeure said:

Also to consider would be the Y-wing, Z-95 or HWK-290 on the rebel side...

And the you may as well buy a Most Wanted and have a decent scum starting kit too!

Would definitely also recommend a second core set. It's incredible bang for your buck for the reasons already mentioned. If you're not picking up the standalone X-wing or TIE Fighter ship expansions, I'd recommend proxying some of the pilots from those (I'm a bit partial to Wedge Antilles myself...) and the Saw's Renegades expansion. Lots of fun options for X-wings there with the Servomotor S-Foils card! 

On 12/4/2018 at 3:24 AM, ZlaMysz said:

Hello,

I'm casual player with limited budget and very limited storage space for games.

Right now I have only Force Awakens core set and (taking advantage of v1 sales) I want to expand it to provide variety to skirmishes with my son, but for the above reasons I want to avoid buying more of the same ships and large or even medium ships.

So I chose below sets:

- Rebel Aces
- Imperial Aces
- Tie Advanced
- E-wing

Two questions regarding this choice:

- is this enough to build different squads in different games (in 100 points limit) or should I buy some additional ships like Tie Phantom and ARC-170?
- are those sets balances enough for Imperial and Rebel sides?

No tournaments, just home play.

Thanks in advance.

both rebel aces and imperial aces are okay but theres a few tings you might want to consider.

first, squad point totals:

tie interceptors and tie fighters are cheap. this means it takes more ships to fill a list with them, as many as 5 to 8 ships.  compare this to elite "superiority fighters" like the E-wing and Defender which can easily be half your list on their own.   if you want to buy fewer ships then i would avoid swarms or swarm type ships and choose bruisers.  for Imperials, thats Defenders, Phantoms, and maybe the tie advanced.  for Rebels, Ewings, T-70 x-wings, and maybe B-wings.  For Scum, Khiraxz aces, starvipers, the mist hunter, Kavil. this assumes you dont want any large base ships.

but if you had 2 tie:fos, a a tie advanced, and 2 interceptors, you would basically use 4 or 5 for a list. rebels aces with a t70 could be a list too

Thank you all for those very interesting advices. I haven't expected so much variety and knowledge after asking simple question. :)

Special thanks for @Vontoothskie for taking into consideration my storage limitations. :)

I think I will try to build Imperial side from separate ships instead of Aces.

So, my list looks like this right now:

- Rebel Aces
- E-wing
- Tie Advanced
- Tie Defender
- Tie Phantom

One more question about ARC-170 - it looks very cool and I'm thinking of getting it instead of E-Wing, but I don't know if it's rather filler or bruiser as you call it.

1 hour ago, ZlaMysz said:

Thank you all for those very interesting advices. I haven't expected so much variety and knowledge after asking simple question. :)

Special thanks for @Vontoothskie for taking into consideration my storage limitations. :)

I think I will try to build Imperial side from separate ships instead of Aces.

So, my list looks like this right now:

- Rebel Aces
- E-wing
- Tie Advanced
- Tie Defender
- Tie Phantom

One more question about ARC-170 - it looks very cool and I'm thinking of getting it instead of E-Wing, but I don't know if it's rather filler or bruiser as you call it.

The Arc-170 would definitely be more a bruiser. They can easily cost a third of your list or more with upgrades, and slot into more lists more easily than the E-wing. Pilots on the ARC are all unique (or limited in 2nd ed speak), so they all have pilot abilities and you can never run more than 4 in a list due to their pilot selection. In X-wing 1.0 the ARC will also tend to perform better than the E, unless you're using Coran Horn exclusively. Pretty sure the ARC saw more competitive play as well, but that doesn't matter for casual shenanigans :P

Between the two I personally favor the ARC-170 over the E-wing, but I didn't read any of the books or play the games that featured the E so I'm not all that fond of or familiar with it. Either would be fun to mess around with, but the ARC would be easier to fit into 3 ship lists thanks to it's point values. 

On 12/6/2018 at 6:22 PM, Force Majeure said:

Get the ARC over the E. It has more "flyable" pilots and can be kitted out in a lot  more ways.

Eventually you'll pick up the E, but for now go with the ARC.

The E-wing is an objectively better ship in game, for example Corran Horn is probably the most powerful rebel pilot, but the arc might be more casual fun.

Budget + space...stick with the multiple ships per pack. 

Original Core (X-Wing and 2 TIEs), different from your Core

Imp Veterans

Most Wanted

No Med or larges in those.  But could also get the Falcon + Poe pack