Doughnut

Action resolution order?

Trying out my first game, turn 2 I chose House Logos. I played Library Access first card of the turn: "Play: For the remainder of the turn, each time you play another card, draw a card." 

Then played Wild Wormhole "Play: Play the top card of your deck."

What is the proper order these effects resolve? I assume that when you play a card its effects resolve completely before other effects take place, even previous standing effects. 

Thanks! 

Its the first turn of the game and I am going first. I choose house Logos to be the active house and play the card Wild Wormhole (CoTA 125). Can Wild Wormhole’s effect be resolved even though the First Turn Rule (see page 5) is in effect?

Wild Wormhole’s effect can be resolved. The First Turn Rule specifies that players cannot play or discard more than one card from their hand. However it does not prohibit cards from being played or discarded from other game areas, such as your deck.

I have chosen house Logos to be my active house this turn and start off by playing Library Access (CoTA 115), I then play Wild Wormhole (CoTA 125). In what order do I resolve this combination of effects?

When you play a Wild Wormhole after playing a Library Access the following happens in this order:
1. You gain 1 Æmber from Wild Wormhole’s Æmber bonus.
2. You draw a card from Library Access’s effect.
3. You resolve Wild Wormhole’s effect and play the top card of your deck.
4. You gain Æmber from any Æmber bonus on the played card. 5. You draw a card from Library Access’s effect.
6. You resolve any play effects on the card played from the top of your deck.

"Now if the played card from the Wild Wormhole is an upgrade and there are no creatures in play it can legally attach to, the card is instead returned to the top of the deck and no Æmber bonus is gained from the card (it couldn’t be legally played so it isn’t).
Hope that helps!"
(email from Brad Andres, KeyForge developer)

8 minutes ago, WonderWAAAGH said:

I'm confused. It seems like he's clarifying a FIFO order of operations when the general rule of thumb is "active player chooses the order of triggers." Or did I miss something?

I think the OP was asking if wormhole fully resolved before he received the bonus card from library access. Thus, only receiving one bonus card from library access instead of two. 

28 minutes ago, WonderWAAAGH said:

I'm confused. It seems like he's clarifying a FIFO order of operations when the general rule of thumb is "active player chooses the order of triggers." Or did I miss something?

The active player chooses the order of simultaneous triggers. "Play:" effects occur after you play the card, but library access triggers as you play the card, and Amber specifically has a rule that it always occur first. This means that none of the effects are actually simultaneous, and that the active player never gets the opportunity to choose.

34 minutes ago, WonderWAAAGH said:

The general rule is this:

"The active player makes all necessary decisions for all card abilities or timing conflicts that need to resolve during their turn."

You only choose the order of triggers that are in conflict (happen at the same time). Brad's answer reveals that there is an intended set order. The play cards section of the rulebook tells you that when you play cards, you first get any bonus aember, then activate the play effect after the card has been put in play. Library access text says "each time you play another card". From Brad's clarification, We can infer that triggers that happen "each time" must happen before the card has come into play. So the order is:

1. play card

2. get any bonus aember

3. trigger things that happen "each time" you play a card

4. put card into play

5. activate "play:" triggers on card

The rules disappointingly do not clarify the order of triggers like "each".