Snipafist

Reminder: you can ignore other users

Hi Eric,

I'm also holmbergjsh from reddit who you had a pleasant conversation with on reddit regarding your blog on Armada. You know, back when you and John hadn't apparently taken to hating me enough to make childish posts like this because I happen to disagree with you.

I'm decidedly bewildered by the thought process that must have taken place in your head when you, I assume sincerely, decided to make this post in an effort to appear 'better' by hateposting? Do you honestly not see the irony in doing that?

I'll still be reading Cannot Get Your Ship Out. Although I'll in the future do it with the realisation that you and your friend are just like all us other nerds, bound to make human mistakes. The only difference between me and you seems to be that I don't call people who disagree with me 'nerds', I instead proudly consider myself one :) 

PS. I won't be reporting this post. Apparently unlike you and John (I sincerely - and I mean that - lament that), I can actually handle people disagreeing with me even if they aren't courteous about it.

Edited by Cpt. Caine

So I would not have been lured to read this service notification had I ignored this snipafist character? Had I only known :-p.

In seriousness: funny post, but telling the internet to ignore flamers and trolls is an exercise in futility.

3 minutes ago, RapidReload said:

So I would not have been lured to read this service notification had I ignored this snipafist character? Had I only known :-p.

That's mostly true! Had you ignored me (and feel free, anyone who wants to), you would've seen I started a post but would've had to verify with the forum that you wanted to see its contents. Otherwise my comments would be an unobtrusive little gray bar between other people's posts that is easily overlooked.

In seriousness: funny post, but telling the internet to ignore flamers and trolls is an exercise in futility. 

It mostly is, but when the forum software itself will do it for you it's much easier to stick to it and stop raging about this and that. Not 100% effective, of course, but it helps.

26 minutes ago, Cpt. Caine said:

Hi Eric,

I'm also holmbergjsh from reddit who you had a pleasant conversation with on reddit regarding your blog on Armada. You know, back when you and John hadn't apparently taken to hating me enough to make childish posts like this because I happen to disagree with you.

I'm decidedly bewildered by the thought process that must have taken place in your head when you, I assume sincerely, decided to make this post in an effort to appear 'better' by hateposting? Do you honestly not see the irony in doing that?

I'll still be reading Cannot Get Your Ship Out. Although I'll in the future do it with the realisation that you and your friend are just like all us other nerds, bound to make human mistakes. The only difference between me and you seems to be that I don't call people who disagree with me 'nerds', I instead proudly consider myself one :) 

PS. I won't be reporting this post. Apparently unlike you and John (I sincerely - and I mean that - lament that), I can actually handle people disagreeing with me even if they aren't courteous about it.

Something tells me he can't hear you anymore...  Can't imagine what.

Just now, The Jabbawookie said:

Something tells me he can't hear you anymore...  Can't imagine what.

Oh, I fully imagine he ignored me. That was kind of implied in the original post ;)

I'm not entirely certain what your point is, though? I find it sad to be forced into finding people I otherwise thought well off, well, unappealing by their actions. I expressed that...

Well, along with hints at my bewilderment of how a community otherwise lauded as 'the best in miniature gaming' is apparently not capable of hosting diverse opinions without hate campaigns. But I've spelled that out now.

I agreed with most of your post in that other thread, by the way. Your sarcasm now disregarded.

Just now, Cpt. Caine said:

Oh, I fully imagine he ignored me. That was kind of implied in the original post ;)

I'm not entirely certain what your point is, though? I find it sad to be forced into finding people I otherwise thought well off, well, unappealing by their actions. I expressed that...

Well, along with hints at my bewilderment of how a community otherwise lauded as 'the best in miniature gaming' is apparently not capable of hosting diverse opinions without hate campaigns. But I've spelled that out now.

I agreed with most of your post in that other thread, by the way. Your sarcasm now disregarded.

As I understand the situation, it's not so much that people are inherently intolerant of your opinion as that they're tired to death of it.  This is not the first, tenth or twentieth time disdain for TLJ has hijacked a perfectly good thread.  Without trying to offend, the points you make are not new, have been well discussed, agreement has largely not been reached and people are utterly sick of it.  Also, it's inconsiderate to the OP, who probably didn't intend for their thread to become locked without the topic running its course.  Two months ago you might not have been late to the party, and the ugly locked threads are there to prove it.  But now you're going to have a far harder time finding a civil discussion and are probably better off simply finding another forum for that.

13 minutes ago, Cpt. Caine said:

I realize you are new to this forum and have some opinions you feel need expressing. Please accept that we have seen discussions on these topics forever now. 95% of us dont care anymore and wish for it to stop.

Discuss these fleets you say you have built, discuss the ssd, god knows they love that at the moment. Sincerely, please keep the topics limited to Star Wars ARMADA. The community will thank you for it.

Political correctness and feminists are destroying Western Civilization! As a scientific scientist, (I won't bother you idiots with the minutia), I'm surprised any of you are accepting of minorities in my favorite movie.

Also gosh you guys don't seem respectful of my opinions. Hey wait why are you making fun of me?

5 minutes ago, The Jabbawookie said:

As I understand the situation, it's not so much that people are inherently intolerant of your opinion as that they're tired to death of it.  This is not the first, tenth or twentieth time disdain for TLJ has hijacked a perfectly good thread.  Without trying to offend, the points you make are not new, have been well discussed, agreement has largely not been reached and people are utterly sick of it.  Also, it's inconsiderate to the OP, who probably didn't intend for their thread to become locked without the topic running its course.  Two months ago you might not have been late to the party, and the ugly locked threads are there to prove it.  But now you're going to have a far harder time finding a civil discussion and are probably better off simply finding another forum for that.

I don't particularly need to be educated on how to conduct my 'forumming' (I for one have not created hate threads or taken to flaming anyone), nor do I much care whether other people intend to be civil or not if they aren't allowed to control what other people talk about - I ho :)

In the meantime, you're welcome to go and read the thread for where the thread went off-topic if you believe I was inconsiderate to the OP.

1 minute ago, RapidReload said:

I realize you are new to this forum and have some opinions you feel need expressing. Please accept that we have seen discussions on these topics forever now. 95% of us dont care anymore and wish for it to stop.

Discuss these fleets you say you have built, discuss the ssd, god knows they love that at the moment. Sincerely, please keep the topics limited to Star Wars ARMADA. The community will thank you for it.

Believe it or not. One of the 8 movies in Star Wars is at times relevant when discussing STAR WARS: Armada.

In the same line, I could tell you that you are apparantly old to this forum and some of us care for other topics than you. I don't presume to tell you what to talk about.

Again, the irony in discussing my conduct... in a hate thread directed at me doesn't escape me. But apparantly it does you? Obviously I've invited to it. Partly because I'm still flabbergasted by the way the supposedly 'nicest community in miniature gaming' is treating each other - in this very specific case incidentally mainly me, but that's besides the point and - and I'm trying to find out how and why that rumour isn't true. Partly because I don't believe in ignoring things when you can just speak plainly about it.

2 minutes ago, duck_bird said:

Political correctness and feminists are destroying Western Civilization! As a scientific scientist, (I won't bother you idiots with the minutia), I'm surprised any of you are accepting of minorities in my favorite movie.

Also gosh you guys don't seem respectful of my opinions. Hey wait why are you making fun of me?

I'm happy your rendition was somewhat successful given your non-reading of the post you're trying to quote. Purposeful misunderstanding is a lost art.

But yes. Sincerely. I an asking that question at the end.

53 minutes ago, Cpt. Caine said:

I don't particularly need to be educated on how to conduct my 'forumming' (I for one have not created hate threads or taken to flaming anyone), nor do I much care whether other people intend to be civil or not if they aren't allowed to control what other people talk about - I ho :)

In the meantime, you're welcome to go and read the thread for where the thread went off-topic if you believe I was inconsiderate to the OP.

Yet here you were, being

1 hour ago, The Jabbawookie said:

decidedly bewildered

at the response.  I'm not saying you initiated the discussion, but you were definitely a significant part of the problem.  Also, I'd forgotten about this:

56 minutes ago, duck_bird said:

Political correctness and feminists are destroying Western Civilization!

Which is an opinion (the rest of your argument aside) I and others here won't tolerate.  (You actually called feminism "the most troubling threat to Western society in the past decade," but having seen what you wrote I don't draw a meaningful distinction.)

Edited by The Jabbawookie
Being precise when quoting

I just read thru the closed thread.  How long until this thread gets closed as well?  It’s a shame that the bad actions of two guys can get a thread banned.  As soon as I see someone use “sjw” in a derogatory manner, that thread spirals down quickly.  

Is there a way to block users on your phone or do I need to use a computer?

1 minute ago, ninclouse2000 said:

I just read thru the closed thread.  How long until this thread gets closed as well?  It’s a shame that the bad actions of two guys can get a thread banned.  As soon as I see someone use “sjw” in a derogatory manner, that thread spirals down quickly.  

Probably can do it on a phone, will just take a bit more finesse

55 minutes ago, ninclouse2000 said:

Works on mobile too! Click the three bars in the top right corner, then account, then there's an "ignored users" tab where you can search for and add people. 

<.<

This doesn't seem productive or healthy for the forums guys...

In fact it's flat out petty.

It's fine to be tired of hearing something or to not like threads getting derailed and to push an emphasis for staying on topic.  But this goes beyond that.  You're singling out people for their point of view on a controversial film, and like it or not, that film is of the same IP as our game armada. 

Keep the community healthy, be pleasant to one another.  Don't scare potential new players off.  Learn to get along, or take your own advice and ignore. 

/Thread.

Mod/admin should close this.

7 hours ago, RapidReload said:

an anonymous, loveless „they“ 😉

9 hours ago, The Jabbawookie said:

Yet here you were, being

at the response.  I'm not saying you initiated the discussion, but you were definitely a significant part of the problem.  Also, I'd forgotten about this:

Which is an opinion (the rest of your argument aside) I and others here won't tolerate.  (You actually called feminism "the most troubling threat to Western society in the past decade," but having seen what you wrote I don't draw a meaningful distinction.)

You are mistaken on many levels.

I called THIRD WAVE feminism such (you know, not the kind that posits gender equality above what we see in the US - but which is present for an example in Scandinavia where I hail from - the kind that posits that men should be intently diminished and all sorts of radical opinions that rational people usually don't support and would fight against if it hadn't hijacked the feminist agenda).

I did it AFTER the other side in an argument strawmanned an untenable position against feminism. Just like you're doing now. Obviously I'll explain that it's, in my opinion? a drop in the water in relation to people disliking TLJ - but it is a drop when it comes to showing down a viewpoint down people's throat. Whilst painting yourself up to be the champion of 'good' without understanding what you're blindly fighting.

Do you know who thinks (third wave) feminism is a threat to major pillars of Western society?

People like Sam Harris, Richard Dawkins and Steven Pinker. All declared feminists. All left wing (in the American sense of left and right). One a fervent spearheader of gay rights. One an extremely vocal Trump critic. All paragons of science.

I'm guessing a lot of these things are read into the toxic political climate in the US? So, service announcement for social justice warriors (I still don't comprehend how you can find this term more problematic than the myriad of derogatory things said about me and other people who dislike TLJ. Neither do I ever really use it. But you pigeonholed me as someone who does, so fair enough): You can criticise feminism, for good reasons, without being a Trump supporter.

Edited by Cpt. Caine