Sign in to follow this  
j0nathanv

Are the Four Horsemen Competitive?

I can't speak for everyone, but I come to these forums for thoughtful discussion and debate, not clickbait. It's your right to express yourself how you see fit, but would you mind containing the various links to just a single thread, and then bumping it when appropriate? Thanks!

15 minutes ago, WonderWAAAGH said:

I can't speak for everyone, but I come to these forums for thoughtful discussion and debate, not clickbait. It's your right to express yourself how you see fit, but would you mind containing the various links to just a single thread, and then bumping it when appropriate? Thanks!

I definitely agree.

off topic:  if you want to start a discussion, I'd think you should copy the content of the article here (with the link to your blog if you want). It would be easier to us to discuss.

on topic:

The price of the 4H decks is probably due to the fact we all assumed that the special rarity was rarer than normal rares, but they were not: 4h are as common as any other rares up there (there are some exceptions, but in general all rares and special share the same amount of presence around decks).

That said, I agree that 2 horseman are totally vanilla most of the time (War and Death) and 2 can easily do more harm than good (Pestillence and sometime Famine). As far as Sanctum creatures are considered, their power is quite average, some may say less than average (Sanctum has a lot of 5 and 6 power with 1 or 2 armor). In short, having a 4h deck only guarentee that you have 4 ok creatures in the deck, nothing more.

In a game like Keyforge, I think having such a distinct and 'known' deck like the Horsemen will become more of a liability than an asset. Most decks are a mish-mash of different aspects that aren't readily apparent how they win until you've played against it once. One "lots of stealing" deck will play different from another. But having 1-2 sets of Horsemen in your deck is a big flashing red sign of what the decks will be about, and how to play against it. It will define your deck, and give your opponent clues on how to beat it even if they've never seen your deck before. 

I played against them tonight, and they are good. But once I started realizing how they work and what they're weak against, I managed to eke out wins (or closer losses) against that deck. If you only play creatures of power 6+, Horseman of Famine will only hurt its own team. Coward's End can be used against Horseman of Pestilence. Purging helps get around Horsemen of Death. A deck that focuses on gaining AEmber through actions instead of creatures will have a big advantage over Horsemen. And that doesn't take into account the known limitations leading with Horseman brings.  Horseman of Pestilence works against Horseman of War's need for non-Sanctum creatures. Using Horseman of Famine means you have to be careful about playing small creatures of your own. 

Having that amount of  meta-game knowledge going into a tournament or specific match is a big liability, since your opponent can bring an anti-Horsemen deck into a tournie and play against the Horsemen from turn 1, whereas you are stuck with the Horsemen's strengths and weaknesses with no chance of 'sideboarding', and a less clear idea of what your opposing deck's strategy is, since it isn't locked into a set of synergetic rares.

Owning a Horseman Deck Myself, I can say for sure that the high pricepoint is more for the novelty, as they cards by themselves are not overly dangerous. 5 power is great and all, but with no armor, no protection, and only two of the four having repeat usefulness, they are tempermental to base a win condition on. I will say that I lucked out and got an Epic Quest in there too, but that just means I have to be willing to let them get blown up, hope they don't get purged, and that I can archive a few knights or draw into some good sanctum cards before playing the Horseman of Death. Honestly, I'd be more scared of what I can make my Sequis do.

22 hours ago, WonderWAAAGH said:

So think of the linked piece as the first post in the thread.  I don't see anything wrong with that, and it's not clickbait if it's actually there to start a discussion.

15 minutes ago, mazz0 said:

So think of the linked piece as the first post in the thread.  I don't see anything wrong with that, and it's not clickbait if it's actually there to start a discussion.

OP has 3 separate clickbait posts on this forum now (out of a whopping 8 total), and hasn't responded to any of them. I'm not convinced that discussion is what he/she is actually interested in, nor do I appreciate being encouraged to navigate to unknown (or untrusted) sites.  

As with most things Keyforge, I'm not entirely sure how the Horsemen actually are. I did pull a Horsemen deck and have now played it twice. The first time it was mediocre. My opponent was able to kill my first, make me discard my second, and then purge them both right before I played the recursion. Then he just had a mass amount of creatures and my deck doesn't happen to have much in the way of mass removal, aside from one mass stun. 

In the second game (same opponent, different deck), I was able to answer his threats, play my Horsemen at times when they actually mattered (except the first, it was the recursion one and I had it super-early), and repeatedly use them to great effect. The deck also has a Duma the Martyr, which has amazing synergy, especially with Horseman of Pestilence. I handily won the game.

It is certainly a tricky deck to play, as you have to time things just right to not take out your own creatures.

I'm curious to keep playing it and learn how to play it better.

On 12/4/2018 at 12:19 PM, mazz0 said:

There's also the issue that some of us who read these forums at work simply can't access your site because we're work blocked.  It's clickbait in the sense that you're looking for clicks AND to start a conversation.