Noosart

Zeta Class Cargo Shuttle

I know I still got my tanker to finish, and every once and a while I'm painting bits of it, but since I've got so little time these past weeks, I'm keeping the projects a bit smaller.

About 6 months ago I ordered this Zeta Class cargo shuttle from Shapeways. I loved the ship from Rogue One.

https://www.shapeways.com/product/B5ERW9S86/1-270-zeta-class-imperial-cargo-shuttle?optionId=65285527&li=marketplace

I contacted the designer and asked him if he could separate the wings. I wanted to make the wings movable.

e62bb3d123837c85e0050572c032ab76.jpg

(tea spoon for size reference)

After quite a bit of fiddling, I managed to find the correct pivot point and drilled a long hole to support a 2 mm styreen rod so it could hinge.

53e15cb3645e20acd4e869d37afb8456.jpg

e9cc3fecc4f162ec2b16e16aec67a470.jpg

Now I need to prepare the model for some primer and start painting. I really would like to do this one with the airbrush as much as possible, Just like I did on the YT-2000 Otana.

To be continued...

7 hours ago, Force Majeure said:

Do you have stats/dial in mind? or is it just for funsies? Imperial or stolen Imperial property?

No, no stats yet. I would like to create a small Imperial fleet around which I can do battles/scenario's.

When all my current projects are finished my fleet can contain: Raider, Gozanti, Tanker (WIP), Lambda class shuttle, Zeta class shuttle (WIP), Decimator, TIE Reaper (WIP). 

It will all still be in 1.0. I don't have 2.0 yet and will not move over to 2.0 unless there are rules for Epic. Since I only play casual games with friends, we use Epic quite a lot. And I must admit, I hope that 2.0 will fix the balance between the factions, but I fear it's just for financial gain for FFG. I've seen this so many times with GW... but that's a whole different discussion.

On 12/6/2018 at 3:07 AM, Noosart said:

No, no stats yet. I would like to create a small Imperial fleet around which I can do battles/scenario's.

When all my current projects are finished my fleet can contain: Raider, Gozanti, Tanker (WIP), Lambda class shuttle, Zeta class shuttle (WIP), Decimator, TIE Reaper (WIP). 

It will all still be in 1.0. I don't have 2.0 yet and will not move over to 2.0 unless there are rules for Epic. Since I only play casual games with friends, we use Epic quite a lot. And I must admit, I hope that 2.0 will fix the balance between the factions, but I fear it's just for financial gain for FFG. I've seen this so many times with GW... but that's a whole different discussion.

First, great model! Can't wait to see it finished. If you want, I have some Zeta-class cards in my custom collection you could use.

Edited by sf1raptor

6 hours ago, sf1raptor said:

First, great model! Can't wait to see it finished. If you want, I have some Zeta-class cards in my custom collection you could use.

Sounds great. Are those in pdf? And did you make them yourself? 

Are those compatible with the 1.0 game rules? 

Edited by Noosart

On 12/9/2018 at 2:34 AM, Noosart said:

Sounds great. Are those in pdf? And did you make them yourself? 

Are those compatible with the 1.0 game rules? 

Sorry for the late reply. I made them using Strange Eons, and they're 100% compatible with 1.0. Only thing is they aren't game tested, but I've done my best to balance them and take into account all the possibilities. I put the cards up on Imgur to post them here, and can be found here: https://imgur.com/a/QP7Gy

Also, sorry for some weird cards. the program didn't have reverse maneuvers.

9 hours ago, Noosart said:

Wow. That is looking good. 

Although the model has not been fully painted yet, this weekend I will be playing a bit of x-wing so perhaps I will play test these.

Glad you like them. If you do test them, mind saying how they do?

I did play that weekend, unfortunately using a different fleet, so I was not able to test this one.

During the Christmas holidays I found a bit of time for some painting. I've probably posted it before, but I really like the painting of Ben Komets and how he shows the tricks in his videos: 

So with these videos on my tablet I started practising washes, loaded brush and feathering techniques. Please keep in mind, that I'm not an expert on these techniques, this is just my first attempts.

64548c8bb19f6174607a45f4443d9388.jpg

5f736e0b4ecc9af42d1657bf026df560.jpg

It still looks to smudgy for my taste, but perhaps that all blends a bit better after some more feathering of nicely thinned paint.

Again a close up of 1 loaded brush technique and 2 of the first feathering

87ffd444f2b9734c8945524db76e56ee.jpg

3e106b95dcda5c253dd3ede8e99c595e.jpg

For some reason I always have a couple of months where I just don't do any scale modelling. I don't know why, it just happens that way. 

But now I prepared my wet pallet and did a bit of pin washing to get things started again. 

23717f8ea69df64a0634aa6623770e3d.jpg

So, the black wash (oil paint) brings out more contrast. That makes the top of the fuselage nearly complete. 

Then it's time for the wings. I'm afraid they will be quite difficult to paint. Large flat surfaces, not so many panels, so I'm not quite sure how to modulate the colours. Time will tell...