Jump to content
Crimsonwarlock

Phones Taken from players during Stream games.

Recommended Posts

My phone is also my glucose monitor, and it has to stay within 15' of me at all times. I also need to check it every 15 minutes or so or else I might end up on the floor(type 1 sucks). I don't mind leaving it on the table where my opponent can see it and only checking it during the end phase, is that a reasonable compromise? Maybe the others here that don't feel comfortable handing over something that can cost hundreds of dollars could do the same?

I'm one of the few that likes playing on stream, please don't take that away. :)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, Jarval said:

I would be extremely uncomfortable giving my phone to someone I didn't know - it's a quite expensive device that could be easily lost, stolen or accidentally damaged.  I also don't think that "don't bring your phone" is in any way a realistic option these days.

I've often heard people say "we can't be without our phone for even 5 minutes'.    If you are expecting a call, why are you playing in a tournament?  If you are on 'response for work', same question.  If it's an emergency, every gaming store i've been to has a phone # for it, so someone can get in contact with you that way.  SO i don't see why you can't turn it off, for the time you play the tournament??

6 hours ago, Sk3tch said:

I get what people saying about their phones, 

Need to implement a 'NO PHONES OUT AT THE TABLE', they stay in pockets or bags. You shouldn't be on your phone anyway, 

I do that for my ADND games when i play at home.  Its a "House rule", unless you are on call, turn the thing off, we are there to play, not check the score of a game/tweet..

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 minutes ago, Heimdall Ulf said:

My phone is also my glucose monitor, and it has to stay within 15' of me at all times. I also need to check it every 15 minutes or so or else I might end up on the floor(type 1 sucks). I don't mind leaving it on the table where my opponent can see it and only checking it during the end phase, is that a reasonable compromise? Maybe the others here that don't feel comfortable handing over something that can cost hundreds of dollars could do the same?

I'm one of the few that likes playing on stream, please don't take that away. :)

Isn't there a non-phone monitor you can use during a streamed match?

What the **** did people do before smart phones?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 minutes ago, LTuser said:

I've often heard people say "we can't be without our phone for even 5 minutes'.    If you are expecting a call, why are you playing in a tournament?  If you are on 'response for work', same question.  If it's an emergency, every gaming store i've been to has a phone # for it, so someone can get in contact with you that way.  SO i don't see why you can't turn it off, for the time you play the tournament??

Or trust people to be adults, and just have a "don't get your phone out while you're on stream" rule?  That seems way simpler, and doesn't mean I have to hand my several hundred pounds worth of smartphone over to someone else...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
31 minutes ago, Heimdall Ulf said:

My phone is also my glucose monitor, and it has to stay within 15' of me at all times. I also need to check it every 15 minutes or so or else I might end up on the floor(type 1 sucks). I don't mind leaving it on the table where my opponent can see it and only checking it during the end phase, is that a reasonable compromise? Maybe the others here that don't feel comfortable handing over something that can cost hundreds of dollars could do the same?

I'm one of the few that likes playing on stream, please don't take that away. :)

I would hope any decent TO would make an exception.

20 minutes ago, Koing907 said:

Isn't there a non-phone monitor you can use during a streamed match?

What the **** did people do before smart phones?

Personally, I trust folks to make the right medical decisions for themselves.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
40 minutes ago, Heimdall Ulf said:

My phone is also my glucose monitor, and it has to stay within 15' of me at all times. I also need to check it every 15 minutes or so or else I might end up on the floor(type 1 sucks). I don't mind leaving it on the table where my opponent can see it and only checking it during the end phase, is that a reasonable compromise? Maybe the others here that don't feel comfortable handing over something that can cost hundreds of dollars could do the same?

I'm one of the few that likes playing on stream, please don't take that away. :)

Every 15 min? That is nasty even for type 1.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
24 minutes ago, Koing907 said:

Isn't there a non-phone monitor you can use during a streamed match?

What the **** did people do before smart phones?

Depends, if the phone based monitor doesn't rely on finger pricks it is actually a much better option (no inadvertent exposure to blood for anyone).

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Koing907 said:

Isn't there a non-phone monitor you can use during a streamed match?

What the **** did people do before smart phones?

Having experience with a diabetic family member, having your phone as part of the monitoring process has proven to be very handy and useful. It can be done without the phone, but if you have already set it up to do so, the hassle of going back to an older method can be arduous. 

May I ask your experience with the need to monitor blood levels?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, Heimdall Ulf said:

My phone is also my glucose monitor, and it has to stay within 15' of me at all times. I also need to check it every 15 minutes or so or else I might end up on the floor(type 1 sucks). I don't mind leaving it on the table where my opponent can see it and only checking it during the end phase, is that a reasonable compromise? Maybe the others here that don't feel comfortable handing over something that can cost hundreds of dollars could do the same?

I'm one of the few that likes playing on stream, please don't take that away. :)

um, type 1 diabetese isnt like that? 7 people in my family have type 1, 4 died from its complications. never heard of anyone needing by-the-minute glucose monitoring, and in fact it would be harmful to adjust insulin levels so rapidly.  testing and insulin injections need to be hours apart at minimum

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
17 hours ago, Jarval said:

I would be extremely uncomfortable giving my phone to someone I didn't know - it's a quite expensive device that could be easily lost, stolen or accidentally damaged.  I also don't think that "don't bring your phone" is in any way a realistic option these days.

It's not unreasonable to want to take care of your expensive technology.  If the location does a lot of these events, and if they're really serious about the "no phones" rule, they may want to consider investing in some decent cell phone lockers.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
21 hours ago, Jarval said:

Or trust people to be adults, and just have a "don't get your phone out while you're on stream" rule?  That seems way simpler, and doesn't mean I have to hand my several hundred pounds worth of smartphone over to someone else...

But what do you do then, when you do make said rule, and people ignore it?  Kick them out? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
18 hours ago, SabineKey said:

Having experience with a diabetic family member, having your phone as part of the monitoring process has proven to be very handy and useful. It can be done without the phone, but if you have already set it up to do so, the hassle of going back to an older method can be arduous. 

May I ask your experience with the need to monitor blood levels?

My mother has diabetes, and requires a finger prick test about 3 times a day I think? I never timed her. She seems to do her check just before mealtime.

Why do you ask?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, Koing907 said:

My mother has diabetes, and requires a finger prick test about 3 times a day I think? I never timed her. She seems to do her check just before mealtime.

Why do you ask?

The post Sabinekey quoted states they check every 15 min. This is fairly extreme in my experience for diabetics (including those with type 1) who are not in the hospital or other medical facility under constant monitoring so I share his suspicions. It could just be that they do their checks often enough that it feels like they're doing them every 15min though.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Koing907 said:

My mother has diabetes, and requires a finger prick test about 3 times a day I think? I never timed her. She seems to do her check just before mealtime.

Why do you ask?

Personal edification as to your knowledge base. While the reported every 15 minutes is unusual in my experience, I have witnessed my niece have to monitor it very closely when she is having a bout of low bloodsugar. Having devices that help monitor this, including one linked to her smart phone , has been advantageous on numerous occasions and allowed her to be freer than should would have previously. 

This personal connection plus getting a hostile vibe from the first post I quoted piqued my interest as to more particulars in your questions. Perhaps the hostile vibe I got was unintentional. Either way, it demanded a question I wished an answered to. 

Your answer has provided at least a partial answer to what I seek. Thank you for answering.

Edited by SabineKey

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
57 minutes ago, Hiemfire said:

The post Sabinekey quoted states they check every 15 min. This is fairly extreme in my experience for diabetics (including those with type 1) who are not in the hospital or other medical facility under constant monitoring so I share his suspicions. It could just be that they do their checks often enough that it feels like they're doing them every 15min though.

I believe you are talking about @Vontoothskie and not me.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, SabineKey said:

Personal edification as to your knowledge base. While the reported every 15 minutes is unusual in my experience, I have witnessed my niece have to monitor it very closely when she is having a bout of low bloodsugar. Having devices that help monitor this, including one linked to her smart phone , has been advantageous on numerous occasions and allowed her to be freer than should would have previously. 

This personal connection plus getting a hostile vibe from the first post I quoted piqued my interest as to more particulars in your questions. Perhaps the hostile vibe I got was unintentional. Either way, it demanded a question I wished an answered to. 

Your answer has provided at least a partial answer to what I seek. Thank you for answering.

Ah, it was more incredulity. I was wondering if the OP,  when sleeping for example, has to wake up every 15 minutes to check his blood sugar or risk death.

And wondering if this blood monitor required a smart phone to operate.

Edited by Koing907

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, SabineKey said:

And if he said it did, what would your response be?

We're risking making assumptions by answering a hypothetical question on behalf of a third party. 

But for starters, I'd wonder how someone could manage to survive with their night's sleep interrupted every 15 minutes. I'd think eventually such a situation would lead to a slept though check, and the person dying.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Koing907 said:

We're risking making assumptions by answering a hypothetical question on behalf of a third party. 

But for starters, I'd wonder how someone could manage to survive with their night's sleep interrupted every 15 minutes. I'd think eventually such a situation would lead to a slept though check, and the person dying.

Edited my last post too late. I have satisfied my curiosity. Thank you.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Wow it is so comforting that so many people here are experts on my personal medical issues and are so knowledgeable on my history and what I have to do to stay conscious. Guess what, there are many different levels of Diabetic issues with people, some far more severe than others. That person that you know that only has to prick their finger 3-4 times a day has a different issue than I do, even if the name of the malady is the same. But thanks for shaming me here because of my disease.

Not that it is any of your business, but here's some information about my issue so maybe the next person won't have to deal with your ignorance:


I check every 15 minutes because it can drop extremely rapidly and unpredictably, and if I don't eat properly when my number first starts going down it can be too late. Would you rather I have to pause my game for 20-30 minutes while I sit on the floor waiting to stabilize, or look at my phone 4 times during a game? Do you think I enjoy being shackled to my phone like this? It's a total nightmare.

In the few times I've been to a big event before I got my monitor, since I couldn't check constantly I would have to cut back on my medication for that day, just to be safe. Yes my glucose would skyrocket during the event, I could barely think clearly through the brain fog, but that's the sacrifice I had to make to be able to play the game I enjoy.

My phone app has an alarm when it gets too low for when I'm sleeping. Yes, I will get woken up by it and have to eat the food I keep next next to my bed because when it plummets I can't even stand up. It's lots of fun, trust me.

Are you seriously suggesting that I order the special non-phone monitor (at extra cost), carry another device around with me all day (along with all of my normal extra stuff I have to have on me at all times, food/etc) just on the off chance that I'm going to play a game on a stream? What?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


×
×
  • Create New...