Crimsonwarlock

Phones Taken from players during Stream games.

9 minutes ago, Heimdall Ulf said:

Wow it is so comforting that so many people here are experts on my personal medical issues and are so knowledgeable on my history and what I have to do to stay conscious. Guess what, there are many different levels of Diabetic issues with people, some far more severe than others. That person that you know that only has to prick their finger 3-4 times a day has a different issue than I do, even if the name of the malady is the same. But thanks for shaming me here because of my disease.

Not that it is any of your business, but here's some information about my issue so maybe the next person won't have to deal with your ignorance:

I check every 15 minutes because it can drop extremely rapidly and unpredictably, and if I don't eat properly when my number first starts going down it can be too late. Would you rather I have to pause my game for 20-30 minutes while I sit on the floor waiting to stabilize, or look at my phone 4 times during a game? Do you think I enjoy being shackled to my phone like this? It's a total nightmare.

In the few times I've been to a big event before I got my monitor, since I couldn't check constantly I would have to cut back on my medication for that day, just to be safe. Yes my glucose would skyrocket during the event, I could barely think clearly through the brain fog, but that's the sacrifice I had to make to be able to play the game I enjoy.

My phone app has an alarm when it gets too low for when I'm sleeping. Yes, I will get woken up by it and have to eat the food I keep next next to my bed because when it plummets I can't even stand up. It's lots of fun, trust me.

Are you seriously suggesting that I order the special non-phone monitor (at extra cost), carry another device around with me all day (along with all of my normal extra stuff I have to have on me at all times, food/etc) just on the off chance that I'm going to play a game on a stream? What?

What you're dealing with is at a level of intensity I personally have not seen outside of friends with type 1 who are recovering in the hospital so forgive my suspicion.

47 minutes ago, Heimdall Ulf said:

Wow it is so comforting that so many people here are experts on my personal medical issues and are so knowledgeable on my history and what I have to do to stay conscious. Guess what, there are many different levels of Diabetic issues with people, some far more severe than others. That person that you know that only has to prick their finger 3-4 times a day has a different issue than I do, even if the name of the malady is the same. But thanks for shaming me here because of my disease.

Not that it is any of your business, but here's some information about my issue so maybe the next person won't have to deal with your ignorance:

I check every 15 minutes because it can drop extremely rapidly and unpredictably, and if I don't eat properly when my number first starts going down it can be too late. Would you rather I have to pause my game for 20-30 minutes while I sit on the floor waiting to stabilize, or look at my phone 4 times during a game? Do you think I enjoy being shackled to my phone like this? It's a total nightmare.

In the few times I've been to a big event before I got my monitor, since I couldn't check constantly I would have to cut back on my medication for that day, just to be safe. Yes my glucose would skyrocket during the event, I could barely think clearly through the brain fog, but that's the sacrifice I had to make to be able to play the game I enjoy.

My phone app has an alarm when it gets too low for when I'm sleeping. Yes, I will get woken up by it and have to eat the food I keep next next to my bed because when it plummets I can't even stand up. It's lots of fun, trust me.

Are you seriously suggesting that I order the special non-phone monitor (at extra cost), carry another device around with me all day (along with all of my normal extra stuff I have to have on me at all times, food/etc) just on the off chance that I'm going to play a game on a stream? What?

I'm not making any suggestions, or shaming you. I'm unfamiliar with your circumstance, and was seeking clarification. 

To get back on topic, if your condition is that serious, I'm sure no one would mind you having the phone handy. 

Edited by Koing907

It's not that hard, just do a delayed stream. If someone wants to cheat it's very difficult to prevent.

Someone just needs to wear a smartwatch and another person sends numbers, the guy just clicks the dial that many paces from the 1 straight. You can't block this kind of cheating.

Edited by spacelion

I think the "let's all be adults" approach seems much more sensible than taking phones off people. A general ban on people looking at phones during a game would seem to be enough. If nothing else it's only polite to give the game your full attention. I once had an opponent sit and watch rugby during a tournament game and that was pretty annoying, just having to get their attention every time they had to do something. I think there's a balance somewhere between phones and tablets strewn all over the table and temporary confiscation.

Obviously medical and personal emergency issues trump any tournament regulations.

The “let’s all be adults” mantra doesn’t jive. I’m 38 and play in various tourneys infrequently, but it’s not unheard of to see people around my age claim bad results were table drops and not rolls, fidget with minis on the table in various games (X-Wing, IA), try to talk me out of deck cuts in Destiny, “hover” movement templates in Legion and claim that they’re not actually measuring, etc. 

It doesn’t happen, often, all the time, or in every tournament, for sure. But I’d certainly wonder if someone who had their phone out and generally aimed at the table throughout an X-Wing match/tourney was playing in bad faith, especially if the game was being streamed.

Taking someone’s phone seems extreme, but asking that connected devices are kept facedown, turned off, in airplane mode, etc., seems reasonable for official, competitive play. 

I don't see why X-Wing shouldn't have a similar ban on internet-enabled electronics as other games. Magic tournaments don't allow them, but you are allowed to use a regular calculator. So long as both players have a printed copy of their list, which should be a requirement imo, you shouldn't need your phone for anything else related to the match. 

2.12 Electronic Devices

At Competitive and Professional Rules Enforcement Level during drafting, deck construction, and playing of matches, players may not use electronic devices capable of taking and storing notes, communicating with other people, or accessing the internet (except for taking brief personal calls with the opponent's permission).

At Regular Rules Enforcement Level, electronic devices are permitted, but players may not use them to access information that contains substantial strategic advice or information about an opponent's deck. Device use during a match other than brief personal calls must be visible to all players. Players wishing to view information privately on electronic devices during matches must request permission from a judge.

The Head Judge or Tournament Organizer of a tournament may further restrict or forbid the use of electronic devices during matches.

Good point TV.  One of the conventions i went to had a large tourney (what for i forget right now), but they DID barr players from having phones out during it.. and those on the sideline watching COULD have them out, but were not allowed to talk to the players..

4 hours ago, Tvboy said:

I don't see why X-Wing shouldn't have a similar ban on internet-enabled electronics as other games. Magic tournaments don't allow them, but you are allowed to use a regular calculator. So long as both players have a printed copy of their list, which should be a requirement imo, you shouldn't need your phone for anything else related to the match. 

Reveal hidden contents

Absolutely;

As someone who also plays magic I know from experience that generally once you sit down at the table your phone goes away, and doesn't come back out until the match is over.

This is accepted; everyone knows and expects this, nobody has a problem with it,  and it works. Obviously there is a bit of latitude at the more casual events, where mostly it's just considered very rude to have your phone out when you're meant to be paying attention to the game.

However at any kind of tournament, whipping your phone out mid-game without a good reason would be a pretty fast ticket to a judge call... which could go anywhere from a warning to a game or match loss all the way to outright disqualification from the tournament depending on exactly what you were doing.

To be fair though, I don't think I've actually played a tournament game of x-wing where a phone has come out mid-game either. More than anything else it's just bad etiquette messing around on your phone when you're in a  tournament match.

I'd be fine with a "No phones out at the table" policy backed by the tournament regs, with the power to dish out sanctions to offending players. If you absolutely need to make or receive a call let a tournament official know... then allowances can be made.

I'm guilty of using my phone at tournaments to help me figure out the current score and what my win-condition is (LaunchBay Next is fantastic at this) but I wouldn't mind if I had to bring an old-fashioned calculator for this so long as printed lists are a requirement. 

I'll note that the above is just a more formal version of "Don't use your phone while playing", rather than suggesting that anyone has their phone physically taken off them. Indeed, there's even a provision for taking brief personal calls with your opponent's permission. That's something I'd be ok with, but handing my phone over to someone else is a real point of contention for me. 

22 minutes ago, Tvboy said:

I'm guilty of using my phone at tournaments to help me figure out the current score and what my win-condition is (LaunchBay Next is fantastic at this) but I wouldn't mind if I had to bring an old-fashioned calculator for this so long as printed lists are a requirement. 

you shouldnt be using a calculator either? you srent supposed to have real time mathematical analysis outside your own head anyway. just play the game and have fun

On 12/3/2018 at 4:16 PM, Koing907 said:

Isn't there a non-phone monitor you can use during a streamed match?

What the **** did people do before smart phones?

the every 15 minutes thing isnt real.  what people did and still do is adjust their diet to control sugar and then test 3 to 5 times a day depending on the severity of their condition.  if they have type 2 diabetese they may require dialysis.   type 1 diabetese also puts people on a spike/crash pattern that has warning signs in each stage.  my mom and aunt keep berries on hand to eat before a crash for example which can head it off, and my grandma used to just raise her hand and yell for my grandad the moment she felt her sugar changing, so she almost never got too out of whack until the organ damage got too severe. unless someone is at the limb amputation stage of type 2 its a managable disease

1 hour ago, Tvboy said:

It hasn't come up in any events I've been at... is the use of 3rd party apps allowed mid match? I don't think there's anything official in the regs, and I haven't watched Nationals or Worlds streamed.

8 minutes ago, KalEl814 said:

It hasn't come up in any events I've been at... is the use of 3rd party apps allowed mid match? I don't think there's anything official in the regs, and I haven't watched Nationals or Worlds streamed.

I didn't mean I'm actually guilty, more like I feel bad to admit that I do this. Currently there's nothing against the rules about using a smartphone or 3rd party apps. 

2 hours ago, Vontoothskie said:

the every 15 minutes thing isnt real.  what people did and still do is adjust their diet to control sugar and then test 3 to 5 times a day depending on the severity of their condition.  if they have type 2 diabetese they may require dialysis.   type 1 diabetese also puts people on a spike/crash pattern that has warning signs in each stage.  my mom and aunt keep berries on hand to eat before a crash for example which can head it off, and my grandma used to just raise her hand and yell for my grandad the moment she felt her sugar changing, so she almost never got too out of whack until the organ damage got too severe. unless someone is at the limb amputation stage of type 2 its a managable disease

I don’t care how much you know about diabetes, y’all just need to chill out and leave the poor guy alone. Maybe he’s not being entirely honest, but give him the benefit of the doubt. It doesn’t negatively affect you in any way (except maybe your pride) to let him make his claims.

1 hour ago, KalEl814 said:

1 hour ago, Tvboy said:

I didn't mean I'm actually guilty, more like I feel bad to admit that I do this. Currently there's nothing against the rules about using a smartphone or 3rd party apps. 

I occasionally look up ships’ dials since I’ve never printed them out before. Never played in anything particularly big, but still.

14 hours ago, Tvboy said:

Not intended to be a call out at all, hope it didn’t come off that way. :) Just not familiar with the etiquette of competitive X-Wing play.

18 hours ago, Tvboy said:

Outside info that is not public knowledge is not allowed. FFG has continually ruled this very narrowly to allow for 1) ship manuever info, and 2) jotting down ships' points.

The 3rd party apps that measure distances are easily not allowed. There shouldn't be any TO with half a brain that would ever allow it.

Wow some people take this game far too seriously! I'm a competitive player, go to all the local tournaments, and have travelled to a few premier events including worlds for the last two years, and I've never seen or heard of someone trying to cheat in this manner. Has anyone actually experienced an opponent using one of these 3rd party apps or having someone feed them info during a competitive game?

This seems like someone trying to solve problems that don't exist. 

In the most recent tournament regulations it says two applicable things:

”If a player uses the Star WarsTM Dice App, the device with the app must be displayed in full view of both players at all times, and the opponent may request to share the app.”

“Players cannot take notes or reference outside material or information during a tournament round.”