Sign in to follow this  
belderone42

Can anyone explain to me what hyperspace format is?

1 minute ago, belderone42 said:

Is there any official article or rule that defines Hyperspace format? I’ve searched a while and failed to find one.

There was some early talk about it around the announcement for 2.0, but nothing really official/dedicated till January. Long story short it is a format with a limited pool of ships/upgrades that is replacing Store Champs, Regionals, Nationals, and Worlds.

Edited by Innese

2 minutes ago, Innese said:

There was some early talk about it around the announcement for 2.0, but nothing really official/dedicated till January. Long story short it is a format with a limited pool of ships/upgrades that is replacing Store Champs, Regionals, Nationals, and Worlds.

So for official rulings, we have to wait till January... thanks for the info!

18 minutes ago, belderone42 said:

So for official rulings, we have to wait till January... thanks for the info!

The breakdown of allowed ships and upgrades is in the individual points pdfs for the Generic upgrades and the individual factions in the Points Lists section of the X-Wing Second Edition main page.

https://www.fantasyflightgames.com/en/products/x-wing-second-edition/

And generally ship wise the allowed ships are~:

Rebels:

- T-65 X-Wing, BTL-A4 Y-Wing, U-Wing (Only Saw's Renegades pilots), and Modified YT-1300

Imperials:

- Tie Fighter, Tie Advanced, Tie Reaper, and Tie Striker

Scum:

- Fang Fighter, Firespray, Modified Tie Fighter, Escape Craft, and Customized YT-1300

Resistance:

- T-70 X-Wing, RZ-2 A-Wing, Resistance Bomber, and Salvaged YT-1300

FO:

- TIE/fo, TIE/sf, Tie Silencer, and Upsilon Shuttle

Pretty sure the idea is to have it where all of the factions generally have access to the same number of ships, so the Resistance and FO get all their ships while the Rebels, Imperials, and Scum are stuck to only using what has been rereleased for 2.0 + the Falcon. When Wave 3 drops I expect Scum will get the Z-95 added to their list of ships and that Wave 4 will try to get all factions to have around 4 to 6 ship options available to them, though whether this means the OT era factions get more ships in wave 4 or if it just means they get to use ships from the conversion kit I don't know. Hopefully they will rerelease some ships with new pilots. 

3 minutes ago, Schu81 said:

Does this mean, that the "normal" gameplay as we know it won't be played at tournaments anymore as soon as hyperspace formats drops?

As I understand it, if an event has "Hyperspace" in the name, it uses the hyperspace format. I believe the replacement for regionals is a hyperspace something. However, events outside that naming convention, such as System Opens, use Extended.

There are two main "lines" of competitive X-wing play, Hyperspace Trials/Cups and System Open Series. So far, all System Opens have used the Extended format. Here's the info directly from FFG's Organized Play page. 

Hyperspace Trials/Cups-

•    Hyperspace Trials run twice per year and refresh the metagame with event-specific squad building guidelines.
•    Each qualified retailer may run one Hyperspace Trial each year.
•    The winner of each Hyperspace Trial earns an invitation to the next X-Wing World Championship.
•    Hyperspace Cups are upgraded versions of Hyperspace Trials that come with additional prizes and offer an experience befitting a premier level of competition.

System Open Series 

A global celebration of fast-paced X-Wing miniatures space combat, the System Open Series consists of a limited number of tournaments that run at conventions and other larger events. The System Open Series has historically featured some of the game’s largest and most energetic audiences, and the whole community gets involved, as well—by helping to shape the unique challenges that await the top System Open Series participants as they face each other in a final confrontation.

The Top 8 players at each System Open Series main event earn an invitation to the X-Wing World Championships. The winner of each System Open main event also earns an invitation to the Coruscant Invitational, which takes place immediately before the World Championships.

I think hyperspace format is to allow those who are new to the game play against other new ships and not be overwhelmed by the Extended version. If you notice only 2.0 released ships are playable. Basically, if it has a model released for 2.0 or very soon to be released, its hyperspace. If it doesn't have a model released but has a conversion kit version, its extended.

1 hour ago, Sergovan said:

I think hyperspace format is to allow those who are new to the game play against other new ships and not be overwhelmed by the Extended version. If you notice only 2.0 released ships are playable. Basically, if it has a model released for 2.0 or very soon to be released, its hyperspace. If it doesn't have a model released but has a conversion kit version, its extended.

That's not really true anymore, what with both the Resistance and First Order Convertion Kits being deemed legal, though only one ship each has been re-released and one brand new ship for the Resistance.

In short, it is the competitive format that FFG is using for their tournaments that is not part of the system open series. It consists mostly of 2nd edition format, the 1st Order and Resistance Conversion kits, and Rebel YT-1300 and TIE Striker. Basically 2nd edition didn't have enough ships for every faction and the Original 2 factions had too many ships in extended when compared to the newer factions.

2nd edition has 14 ships legal for that format. Hyperspace has 21 ships legal for its format.

Edited by Marinealver

10 minutes ago, Marinealver said:

In short, it is the competitive format that FFG is using for their tournaments that is not part of the system open series. It consists mostly of 2nd edition format, the 1st Order and Resistance Conversion kits, and Rebel YT-1300 and TIE Striker. Basically 2nd edition didn't have enough ships for the factions and the Original 2 factions had too many ships in extended when compared to the newer factions.

thanks. this actually makes sense. i can see how FFG needed to balance the availability of ships across all factions.

3 hours ago, Da_Brown_Bomber said:

thanks. this actually makes sense. i can see how FFG needed to balance the availability of ships across all factions.

Hopefully after Wave 3 they open it up a bit more. Hyperspace seems more like what 2nd edition should have been. But most of the ships are still in extended (including some of mine and other favorite ones like B-wings ,Gunboats, Kiharax fighters) . Well I didn't star X-wing until Wave 3 when the factions started to get their options and characteristics. It will probably won't be until Wave 5 or even 6 that all 7 factions will start to fill out. 

As a primary empire player, I hate the hyperspace list options. Granted getting the striker is a big boost, but no Interceptor no sale.

Its irksome because the X1 really needs a support ship more than most, but the Reaper is a difficult (note I did not say impossible) ship to fill that role with. Admittedly the YT-1300 isn’t burning things up for the Rebels either.

But it looks like the Empire is the weakest of the three original factions by a fair margin. We’ll see. Maybe points adjustments will help, but I don’t see the X1 being that useful until the Lambda is on scene. And the U-wing I’ve gotten solid work from, but it’s biggest buddies aren’t around.

Bah, I’m just not a fan of the format since none of my top 5 ships are available. And proton torp Rebels and various Scum squads seem so much better than what the empire is bringing.

Wake me in wave 5, maybe I’ll be interested then.