Xiervak

Clone Wars Daydreaming Thread

On 12/2/2018 at 11:24 PM, TauntaunScout said:

If you let what was actually in the Clone Wars get in the way off what they include in Clone Wars stuff, you can't even have Logray or 9 year old Anakin.

Given that we’ve been pretty much restricted to movie characters so far, it is only reasonable to assume that trend would continue with the Clone Wars sets:

ie Whole Maul, Obi-Wan, Qui Gon, Mace Windu, Grievous, Anakin, Robots, Geonosians, Naboo Royal Guard, Padme, Clone Troopers, possibly Gungans; but they are in the same predicament as Ewoks; they only really participate in one battle against CIS forces.

More importantly, that pretty much rules out Ahsoka and other cartoon characters for now. 

Edited by Derrault

28 minutes ago, Derrault said:

Given that we’ve been pretty much restricted to movie characters so far, it is only reasonable to assume that trend would continue with the Clone Wars sets:

And to the actual pan-galactic conflict known as The Clone Wars. Which Qui-Gon died before.

50 minutes ago, TauntaunScout said:

And to the actual pan-galactic conflict known as The Clone Wars. Which Qui-Gon died before.

And? The Emperor and Vader die in Return of the Jedi, still fair game.

If pressed, and if we assume a similar structure to the current set, I’m guessing it’ll be:

Republic: Obi-wan and Qui-Gon, Anakin, Padme

CIS: Maul, Dooku, Grievous

Probably have Jango Fett as an operative, maybe of all things Jar Jar or that Captain of the Naboo Guard as one for the Republic.

That’s sort of the problem with the Prequel movies, they don’t have a solid core of protagonists/antagonists in common (ie the protagonist trio are nominally Obi-wan, Padme, and Anakin; but Anakin doesn’t show up until halfway through the first movie, and although Padme and Obi-wan are contemporaries, they rarely work together.

Of the antagonists, only Palpatine is present as an enemy for all three movies, and he doesn’t take a direct role until the very end (plus he’s already in the game).

Grievous seems geared up to be an important villain, but he’s introduced pretty poorly (ie we hear about him from the dialogue before we actually see him, the reverse of Vader’s introduction where we see the menace and then get a name put to the obviously dangerous character), and then gets taken out fairly shortly after being introduced, having served no narrative purpose at all. The closest comparison for the GCW is Veers, who is introduced and used in just Empire, but has an actual meaningful role (leading the attack sacking the Rebel base on Hoth).

The paper thin antagonists is probably an inevitable result of the prequels being overstuffed.

Anway, given the drought of options for CIS commanders, I think it’d be a good opportunity to have the first 2 mini commander vs Maul: Qui-Gonn and Obi-Wan; Jedi Master and Padawan. They could even have a special ability where, once they suffer enough wounds Qui-Gon gets removed and Obi-wan powers up.

Edited by Derrault

I would look to the introduction of CW to X-Wing for contextual help. 

Republic: Anakin and Obi-wan
Seps: Maul and grievous.

Later we will see Yoda and Dooku. If we are lucky we'll see Assajj and Ahsoka. I am sure we'll see Jango Fett as an operative and I think the logical mirror to him is captain rex, but if the 'only movie characters' theory is to be believed then I've got no idea what to expect as xpacs.

37 minutes ago, Derrault said:

And? The Emperor and Vader die in Return of the Jedi, still fair game.

You really don't see how that's different? The new thing for Legion is apparently called "Clone Wars" not "Prequels". Qui-Gon dies before the Clone Wars. Vader and the Emperor die fighting the at the tail end of the Galactic Civil War. Including Qui-Gon in The Clone Wars is like including George Washington in the War of 1812. They might do it eventually but probably not until a bunch of actual Clone Wars stuff is released.

2 minutes ago, TauntaunScout said:

You really don't see how that's different? The new thing for Legion is apparently called "Clone Wars" not "Prequels". Qui-Gon dies before the Clone Wars. Vader and the Emperor die fighting the at the tail end of the Galactic Civil War. Including Qui-Gon in The Clone Wars is like including George Washington in the War of 1812. They might do it eventually but probably not until a bunch of actual Clone Wars stuff is released.

a man can dream

10 minutes ago, TauntaunScout said:

Wait, do you have spoilers on the George Washington expansion!?

22 minutes ago, TauntaunScout said:

Given that they’ve included exactly zero Rebels content, then, yeah, I expect they’ll draw on Episode 1, not just 2-3.

Skipping Episode 1 means no Maul, and he’s easily the most iconic character of the entire prequels with his double-bladed lightsaber.

Just now, Derrault said:

Given that they’ve included exactly zero Rebels content, then, yeah, I expect they’ll draw on Episode 1, not just 2-3.

Skipping Episode 1 means no Maul, and he’s easily the most iconic character of the entire prequels with his double-bladed lightsaber.

I could be wrong but I still think there's a reason they called it "Clone Wars" not "Old Repubic". Maul's the arguably most iconic character*, but of a different, broader, subject.

*Personally I think Jar-Jar is THE face of prequel merchandising.

22 minutes ago, TauntaunScout said:

I could be wrong but I still think there's a reason they called it "Clone Wars" not "Old Repubic". Maul's the arguably most iconic character*, but of a different, broader, subject.

*Personally I think Jar-Jar is THE face of prequel merchandising.

I doubt Jar Jar would be a CIS commander though :)

19 minutes ago, Derrault said:

I doubt Jar Jar would be a CIS commander though :)

That's cause Jar Jar is gonna be a CIS operative that you can't shoot, deploys with your army, and makes your troops slightly worse. Also there'll be a rule on the card that says that everyone has to talk like a gungan while he is in play

7 hours ago, Derrault said:

ie Whole Maul, Obi-Wan, Qui Gon, Mace Windu, Grievous, Anakin, Robots, Geonosians, Naboo Royal Guard, Padme, Clone Troopers, possibly Gungans; but they are in the same predicament as Ewoks; they only really participate in one battle against CIS forces.

More importantly, that pretty much rules out Ahsoka and other cartoon characters for now. 

If there's no Ahsoka in the first wave I may just stick to painting my Rebels and making my custom Ewoks!!! 😭

One thing to consider is that the Clone Wars cartoon last season will be released at the same time as this wave, so it would be serious marketing miss to not include content from the show...

4 hours ago, CaptainRocket said:

If there's no Ahsoka in the first wave I may just stick to painting my Rebels and making my custom Ewoks!!! 😭

One thing to consider is that the Clone Wars cartoon last season will be released at the same time as this wave, so it would be serious marketing miss to not include content from the show...

Not likely. We had Rebels season 4 going on in Q1 2018, and zero Rebels content.

At the end of the day, characters like Ezra and Ahsoka are 2nd and 3rd tier, and almost certainly shouldn’t be added until after the primary characters are (ie every mainstay of the movies). 

22 hours ago, Derrault said:

Not likely. We had Rebels season 4 going on in Q1 2018, and zero Rebels content.

At the end of the day, characters like Ezra and Ahsoka are 2nd and 3rd tier, and almost certainly shouldn’t be added until after the primary characters are (ie every mainstay of the movies). 

The main difference is they’re calling these “clone war factions” and “the clone wars are coming to legion”. That to me suggests they’ve at least considered drawing from that content.

On the other hand, there’s plenty of on screen stuff to get out for the OT before they get to Rebels. They’re just announcing Rogue One stuff, so they may use Rebels content after they run out of film content as filler while they ramp up the Clone Wars factions.

I would expect Ahsoka as one of the earlier operatives for the republic. Most uniques for the republic are better suited to commander, it’s really just her and named clones that would be good operatives. Now, as an operative, I doubt she’d be in the wave 1 of clone wars stuff. But I bet she’ll be sooner than Ezra will be for Rebels.

4 minutes ago, ScummyRebel said:

I would expect Ahsoka as one of the earlier operatives for the republic. Most uniques for the republic are better suited to commander, it’s really just her and named clones that would be good operatives. Now, as an operative, I doubt she’d be in the wave 1 of clone wars stuff. But I bet she’ll be sooner than Ezra will be for Rebels.

I hope you're right!

On a totally different track of day-dreaming about Clone Wars, I've been thinking a lot about what the 'character' of the factions would be. I think in a way they might just be an extension of the tension we have between Imperial and Rebels today.

Right now Empire is about more expensive harder hitting units and independent Heroes. In contrast the Rebels are about lots of cheaper weaker units and reasonably priced highly synergizing heroes.

I would like to see the Republic be even more elite than the Empire (and more expensive), and have mid price heroes that rely on synergies (Anakin, Obi-Wan, Ahsoka come to mind and an obvious group analogous to the Leia, Han, Chewie builds). They would be a low activation faction, but with a lot of damage output per attack. Maybe Clone corp units are more like Pathfinders or Death Troopers in that they have fewer models and are more impactful/survivable.

In contrast the Separatists would have swarms of cheap units (Droid, Genosians) and expensive heroes that don't have synergies, but do a lot of damage individually. Droid corp units I can see having more models than the ones from the OT.

Whatever happens I hope the new factions break from the mold a little more and are not quite as mirror to each other as what we've seen so far with the OT. Don't get me wrong I think it's a fine way to start, just want the possibility space to grow and not have the different armies be just a coat of paint.

25 minutes ago, CaptainRocket said:

Whatever happens I hope the new factions break from the mold a little more and are not quite as mirror to each other as what we've seen so far with the OT. Don't get me wrong I think it's a fine way to start, just want the possibility space to grow and not have the different armies be just a coat of paint.

I definitely see CIS as the mega swarm. Ultra cheap, ultra disposable units with some more expensive powerful options (droidekas, operatives and commanders, etc). I could also see them being the first corps to have a courage of - where they simply never suppress, ever. That’s a two edged sword for sure, and unique. I could see droidekas having armor or some new shield mechanic to reduce incoming fire.

For clones, I want to see 2-3 heroes being common place. Maybe your analogue is pretty solid, though if the troopers are closer to Empire like quality I’m ok with that too. For the average clones, maybe red defense die, black die offense no surge? One of the two heavy troopers has to be z6 though, since clones are the only canon place we’ve seen that weapon.

I am hoping for Rex and Ahsoka as operatives, and I’d like them to synergize well with Anakin commander. Maybe even that as a trio instead of with Obi-Wan?

The more I think about it, the more I’m liking the idea of buying into the republic. I already have great colors because I play Empire only currently, and my only regret with that approach has been the lack of synergy with unique characters. If republic is “basically empire with synergy” that sounds excellent to me.

1 hour ago, ScummyRebel said:

The main difference is they’re calling these “clone war factions” and “the clone wars are coming to legion”. That to me suggests they’ve at least considered drawing from that content.

On the other hand, there’s plenty of on screen stuff to get out for the OT before they get to Rebels. They’re just announcing Rogue One stuff, so they may use Rebels content after they run out of film content as filler while they ramp up the Clone Wars factions.

It’s an identical problem as the GCW. Too many big screen options exist to even look at the more niche tv shows.

Its Republic and CIS, that’s a huge umbrella of options:

Republic options for Commander/Operatives: Qui-Gon, Obi-Wan, Anakin, Padme, Mace, Yoda, Plo Koon, Ki-Adi-Mundi, Kit Fisto, Ayla Secura, Commander Cody, Captain Panaka, Dorme, Captain Typho, Jar Jar Binks, Dexter Jetser.

CIS options for Commander/Operatives: Darth Maul, Dooku, Jango Fett, Nutt Gunray, Zam Wessell, General Grievous, Poggle.

The choices that correlate to what we have already are:

Obi-wan, Anakin, Padme, Jar Jar.

Maul, Dooku, Grievous, Jango Fett.

For better or worse, Jar Jar is to Chewbacca as Obi-wan, Anakin, and Padme are to Han, Luke, and Leia.

Maul and Dooku are the most notable active Sith (and I sincerely doubt they’d issue a clone wars era Palpatine or ally him with the CIS), Grievous is basically the only named non-droid military commander who gets serious screen time, and Jango is basically Boba Fett with different weapons.

edit: Is there really any doubt that Maul is #1 draft pick for the core set?

Edited by Derrault

4 minutes ago, Derrault said:

edit: Is there really any doubt that Maul is #1 draft pick for the core set?

Yeah, for the core set I bet its Grievous/Obi-Wan with Duku/Anikin coming in as a close second.  I actually don't see Maul as a commander at all but as an operative.  I also see them releasing Palpatine for both the Republic and the Seperatist as Supreme Chancellor Palpatine and Darth Sidious respectively.

My prediction for the first 4 commanders for each side are:

CIS: Grievous, Duku, Nut Gunray, and Poggle the Lesser

GAR: Obi War, Anakin, Padme, Cody

16 hours ago, ScummyRebel said:

I definitely see CIS as the mega swarm. Ultra cheap, ultra disposable units with some more expensive powerful options (droidekas, operatives and commanders, etc). I could also see them being the first corps to have a courage of - where they simply never suppress, ever. That’s a two edged sword for sure, and unique. I could see droidekas having armor or some new shield mechanic to reduce incoming fire.

For clones, I want to see 2-3 heroes being common place. Maybe your analogue is pretty solid, though if the troopers are closer to Empire like quality I’m ok with that too. For the average clones, maybe red defense die, black die offense no surge? One of the two heavy troopers has to be z6 though, since clones are the only canon place we’ve seen that weapon.

I am hoping for Rex and Ahsoka as operatives, and I’d like them to synergize well with Anakin commander. Maybe even that as a trio instead of with Obi-Wan?

The more I think about it, the more I’m liking the idea of buying into the republic. I already have great colors because I play Empire only currently, and my only regret with that approach has been the lack of synergy with unique characters. If republic is “basically empire with synergy” that sounds excellent to me.

I too would like to see the droids never becoming supressed. I would do it with a keyword which still allows them to be panicked though. For their swarm aspect I would say the B1's should a) be cheap (points wise at least) and b) come packaged with 7 units, which in contrast to other corps can all be fielded at once.

For the republic characters I guess as a rule of thumb Jedi and Clone commanders should be commanders whilst padawans sould be ideal for operatives.

On 11/30/2018 at 10:18 PM, Jedhead said:

I would really like to see Fives--he is one of my favorite "named" clones.

I plan to main Republic when they're out, because i'm a huge Clone Wars Fan. If Fives is added, I hope he's an Operative. Also hoping to get Rex as a commander, would love to run the 2 of them, as well as a max amount of ARC Trooper squads, and then a bunch of clone squads

On ‎12‎/‎6‎/‎2018 at 11:54 AM, Derrault said:

I mean, we know Maul is in X-Wing for CIS, so clearly they consider him part of CIS.