Sign in to follow this  
Prosk_019

Upsilon - Why?

I need someone to help set my mind at ease. The thing still can't turn, is ostensibly paying for more cannon dice (however it is cheaper), and has multiple abilities that require arc at restrictive ranges. They didn't reduce the attack, give it a pivot, or a 180 arc. I'm scared.

Is there a reason why I shouldn't be worried?

You shouldn't be worried because it's just a game, man

...but yeah, it looks kinda bad. Maybe they're balancing around how badass phasma and hux could be with something that didn't cost the equivalent of a super yacht 

Edit: and why can't the ******* thing go fanatic!?!?

Tavson is RIPE for abuse, though. Start there 

Can already baffle to coordinate locks for folks next turn...though I wouldn't because if he's stressed he can't action during combat

he can play a MEAN game of chicken with phasma, though. Would you really wanna give the big ol' bat shuttle at range 1 extra mods? yeah, didn't think so. Can further his annoyance factor with tactical scrambler

pair the potential of extra coordinate/jam actions, and he seems fun. Overcosted, probably, but fun!

Edited by ficklegreendice

It's cheaper than it was in 1st edition by several points and there were several almost b-tier loadouts back then. First Order also has better overall usable crew options than 1st ed empire.. I don't expect it to be competetive, but certainly not unplayable.

13 minutes ago, Biophysical said:

Yeah, I think Tavson will be the definitive Upsilon pilot.  Ridiculous in certain situations, but your opponent pretty much has a say in his ability.

I think Striden is still the pinnacle of Upsilon pilots. Being able to coordinate out to range 3 is fantastic. He can drive Hux around, but he's probably better served with just something like Pattern Analyzer or Advanced Sensors.

Snoke on a Starkiller Base Pilot could also do some good, just for being able to pass on information to Kylo or Blackout.

Striden was all about Fleet officer and/or systems officer giving him the ability to multiply his ability in 1.0. 1 action for 1 action is terrible on a really expensive shuttle. Super cheap Scum Escape shuttle or AP5 in rebels is completely different.

Compare the Upsilons to Sai who coordinates a focus to get a focus and a TL for himself (with the title). That is action efficiency. And 3 dice with TL focus > 4 dice unmodded  because you spent your 1 action coordinating.  

Played 1 game with it already and it feels worse than it did in 1.0 because of the lack of fleet/ systems officers. Been playing the Lambda alot and the no rear arc on the Upsilon is painful. 
Very unhappy with it. Can't believe FFG left it close to DOA again...

I've tried to craft a few ups lists, but since I only see Hux as THE reason to take one (outside Tavson shenanigans, which will probably mandate phasma) it makes the other pilots kinda bleh

you can only really go for generic star killer with enough left over for Midnight (Fanatic) and three FOs

(200)

Starkiller Base Pilot — Upsilon-Class Shuttle 56
General Hux 10
Ship Total: 66
Half Points: 33 Threshold: 6

"Midnight" — TIE/FO Fighter 44
Fanatical 2
Ship Total: 46
Half Points: 23 Threshold: 2

"Null" — TIE/FO Fighter 31
Crack Shot 1
Ship Total: 32
Half Points: 16 Threshold: 2

Epsilon Squadron Cadet — TIE/FO Fighter 28
Ship Total: 28
Half Points: 14 Threshold: 2

Epsilon Squadron Cadet — TIE/FO Fighter 28
Ship Total: 28
Half Points: 14 Threshold: 2

If the gun is that hard to keep on target, than we really shouldn’t pay as much a tax for the fourth die, right? The platform would be great at the right cost, it’s just not completely there right now. 

5 hours ago, Biophysical said:

Yeah, I think Tavson will be the definitive Upsilon pilot.  Ridiculous in certain situations, but your opponent pretty much has a say in his ability.

Take a look at adv sensors/pattern analyzer and Muse. Not sure "how" worth it will all be, Tavson sure likes having Muse by his side. 

Besides that, I think all upsilons should have Phasma on them first. Playing 4LOM has shown me how powerful denying turnaround maneuvers is and can allow the Upsilon to live much longer. 

Edited by RStan

11 minutes ago, RStan said:

Take a look at adv sensors/pattern analyzer and Muse. Not sure "how" worth it will all be, Tavson sure likes having Muse by his side. 

Besides that, I think all upsilons should have Phasma on them first. Playing 4LOM has shown me how powerful denying turnaround maneuvers is and can allow the Upsilon to live much longer. 

Have you tried elusive pattern analyzer Muse? Sloops and rerolls for days!

6 hours ago, Blail Blerg said:

When I ask people if they wanna go back to OG Xwing, this is what I want. Not Nym Tragedy simulator turrets. 

Og xwing had me flying expert handling + pa kylo shuttle (hence OG, none of that new fangled silencer nonsense) with cool detector

Those were the days...

Finding interesting ways to kit it out and give it some cool useability. But the upgrade stacking makes it awkward to spend enough on squadmates to really benefit from it.

I think it depends on how the TIE/fo hang together on the table. I can get some synergy with a 2 ace support but just can't seem to make the aces good enough to be worth it. The named TIEs have some neat things going on and the shield should help a bit.

I can't imagine ever achieving much with Ups + super ace. 

Might hang nicely with a gang of FO Interceptors.

I feel like they could straight up copy/paste the pivot wing title and it would be 100% fixed, 0 agility and all (could even limit it to 90 degrees). Heck if it cost the same with a 2 die attack I would at least be less distraught at how little it gets to shoot, and all it would take to fix at that point is a price drop. The chassis fundamentally doesn't make any sense and it never really did in 1.0 either. This was their chance to fix it and they went in the opposite direction.

I was just typing that I hadn't seen all the advance copy yet and was going to ask if they had some kind of u-wing type config, or something else that allowed the Upsilon to turn or maybe remain stationary.  Guess not.  This is a big disappointment.