Sign in to follow this  
Sonikgav

Pattern Analyzer wording.

"While you Fully Execute a Red Maneuver, before the Check Difficulty Step, you may perform 1 action."

Exactly 1 Action or can it chain into Links or Autothrusters that happen because of that one action?

Does this then allow you to perform a second Action during your normal action step if you have some ability that lets you do so?

Edited by Sonikgav

25 minutes ago, Sonikgav said:

"While you Fully Execute a Red Maneuver, before the Check Difficulty Step, you may perform 1 action."

Exactly 1 Action or can it chain into Links or Autothrusters that happen because of that one action?

Does this then allow you to perform a second Action during your normal action step if you have some ability that lets you do so?

It can chain, and yes. There is nothing on the card that prohibits additional actions.

2 minutes ago, emeraldbeacon said:

I imagine this is going to be fun on Quadjumpers... scoot backwards one-bank, still trigger your tractor beam action, THEN take the stress.

Yea that's the standard use for them. What's new is the fact that is essentially a free action. You still have your action step if you can clear/don't care about the stress.

Contraband Cybernetics maybe.

It says 1 because that just means you have normal access to a single action.

If you have a way to branch off that action, its not preventing you from doing so. Its not saying "You may only perform 1 action" or anything directly stating "No more actions"

Much like other such interactions, thats doublestressed and it doesnt bypass "cannot action while stress" clause, so most situations you might not want to do that.

No disagreement on the rules, but I do find it an interesting design choice that they didn't add the same restriction to this that they added to Advanced Sensors.

Particularly given that the price is pretty close to the same as 1e (5 vs 2*2=4), while Primed Thrusters went up massively (to 8 points from 1*2=2 in 1e).

4 minutes ago, theBitterFig said:

No disagreement on the rules, but I do find it an interesting design choice that they didn't add the same restriction to this that they added to Advanced Sensors.

Particularly given that the price is pretty close to the same as 1e (5 vs 2*2=4), while Primed Thrusters went up massively (to 8 points from 1*2=2 in 1e).

Analyzer ONLY works on a Red move now. That's a change that varies its value depending on the ship its on.

Edited by Sonikgav

Just now, Sonikgav said:

Analyzer ONLY works on a Red move now. That's a change that really limits it.

Well, sure.  99.7% of the time, there's not going to be some shenanigans with this.  The red move adds a stress and shuts down actions.

But.

It also seems like the kinda thing that could be regretted sometime down the road.  A ship with movement actions and two tech slots basically can't be printed, since that'd be a red move into a focus into a Primed Thrusters boost or barrel roll.

It probably won't be an issue...

Unless I'm misreading things, Nien Numb (T-70) could execute a red maneuver, use Pattern Analyzer to perform an action, gain and then immediately discard a stress token using his ability, then perform his action normally.

Which could, in theory, be a linked action, the stress from which could also be theoretically be dumped by his ability.

2 hours ago, nexttwelveexits said:

Unless I'm misreading things, Nien Numb (T-70) could execute a red maneuver, use Pattern Analyzer to perform an action, gain and then immediately discard a stress token using his ability, then perform his action normally.

Which could, in theory, be a linked action, the stress from which could also be theoretically be dumped by his ability.

In First Edition, all manner of shenanigans could be pulled with Nien Nunb + Push The Limit, and Pattern analyzer only made it scarier... since his Second Edition ability is virtually the same, it looks like you've got the potential to REALLY do some wackiness with him.  Close S-Foils, then pull a 3-Talon Roll.  Use Pattern Analyzer to Barrel Roll into an enemy ship's R1 arc.  Use pilot ability to shed that stress.  Then link into a focus, and shed THAT stress.  Then for your perform action step, target lock, for a fully modded R1 attack, without stress:

Nien Numb (55)
Integrated S-Foils (0)
Pattern Analyzer (5)

Total: 60

View in Yet Another Squad Builder 2.0

As discussed in a squad Thread Nien is interesting.

Add Black One and Adv Slam and he could in theory do...

Red Move - Pattern Analyser - Clear Stress - Slam Red Move - Pattern Analyser - Clear Stress - Advanced Slam.

Sure it's only once a game and you have to have the ability to line up those arcs but 4 Actions (3+ Slam) without even counting the Linked action is pretty good.

In most turns he just has to settle for 3 by using the Linked Action.

Edited by Sonikgav

PTL Nien was always good but a little too expensive and a little too low PS.  Best guess for me is that both of these issues have improved significant;y - but conversely, he's lost access to they gold standard modification of focus/lock that he used to be able to get.  Similarly snap/stress nien, who no longer has either element.

I suspect he's in good-but-not-great territory.

3 hours ago, thespaceinvader said:

PTL Nien was always good but a little too expensive and a little too low PS.  Best guess for me is that both of these issues have improved significant;y - but conversely, he's lost access to they gold standard modification of focus/lock that he used to be able to get.  Similarly snap/stress nien, who no longer has either element.

Why not?  Pattern Analyzer no longer moves your Perform Action step before the Check Difficulty step... it just gives you an action before Check Difficulty (which is when you'd get the stress).  But... if you're somehow NOT stressed (hello, Nien Nunb!), you can then do your regular Perform Action step as usual!

On 12/1/2018 at 12:28 AM, emeraldbeacon said:

In First Edition, all manner of shenanigans could be pulled with Nien Nunb + Push The Limit, and Pattern analyzer only made it scarier... since his Second Edition ability is virtually the same, it looks like you've got the potential to REALLY do some wackiness with him.  Close S-Foils, then pull a 3-Talon Roll.  Use Pattern Analyzer to Barrel Roll into an enemy ship's R1 arc.  Use pilot ability to shed that stress.  Then link into a focus, and shed THAT stress.  Then for your perform action step, target lock, for a fully modded R1 attack, without stress:

I don't think you'd receive the stress from the Talon Roll until after the ability queue is completely clear, so it'd probably go something more like:

Talon Roll
Pattern Analyzer Focus -> Red BR into range 1
Nien Numb removes stress
Receive stress from Talon Roll/Check Difficulty
Nien Numb removes stress
Perform Action

Nien will definitely be a common i5 ace though, maybe one of the few pilots I'd consider Daredevil on.

10 hours ago, thespaceinvader said:

Redline was also always way to low PS and too expensive.

Oddly enough, Heroic/Pattern Analyzer Nien Nunb is the same Init 5 and 61 points as AdvS/Proton Torp Redline.  Redline almost surely better... Probably good-but-not-great territory (who can get Focus/Lock in some situations after a red move).

Edited by theBitterFig