Sign in to follow this  
Pooleman

New FFG Legion Playmats

https://www.fantasyflightgames.com/en/news/2018/11/30/conquer-the-galaxy/

looks line FFG is giving us some new playmate. The detail looks good. But you need to spend $80 for 2 3x3 mays. For $65 you can get a great 6x3 Mat from other third parties like FRONT LINE GAMING that’s in 1 piece and comes with a carry case. 

These look waaaay better than the last ones IMO. However I'll personally still want to get 6x3 so there isn't a gap. There are lots of sites that sell those with similar designs.

Edited by JBar

I'm still a little confused by the double 3x3 thing. X-Wing is their only game using 3x3 whereas Runewars, Armada and Legion all use 6x3. At that point, why not just tool up for 6x3's? The Runewars and Legion mats could also pull double duty unless you throw a bunch of universe-specific details on them. It would also be a cost saver for them in general (logistics of packaging and shipping 1 mat per player v 2 means even at a lower overall price point you could still have the same margins).

They look great but since you can get similar 3x6 or even 4x6 play mats for the same price, if not cheaper- I dont see a reason to purchase...

The problem is that even if they do have their "Operations" set up for the 3x3, the standard game is designed for 800 points of units on a 3x6 table/playmat and most people play it that way... So why not offer it as a single 3x6 mat and then if you want to play an operation, you can use some electrical tape or something and mask off the board in half.

10 minutes ago, Tirion said:

Good I'm glad I'm not the only apathetic one towards these

Apathy apathy apathy! 

Just get mutlicolored textured felt for a few dollars a yard.

I agree with the stuff about 3x3 not being that helpful. Apart from the learning game, Legion really needs to be run on a 3x5 to 4x6 table, unless you tweak the rules out of all recognition for special small battles.

Edited by TauntaunScout

There’s a lot of reason to prefer 3x3. Storage, transport, and portability for one. My two Runewars 3x3 mats are considerably easier to move around than any of my 6x4 or 4x4 mats (which can be a nightmare to get back in their canvas carriers) and they work well with smaller games like Malifaux, Kill Team, or Infinity. They can also be modular too (like the Walking Dead: All Out War mats, or the Kill Team boards) allowing you some variety in how you set up a table (though if these are like the RuneWars mats, they have a different finish depending on which direction the are rotated). And finally, you are not limited to just 6x3. you can have 9x3 tables, 6x6 tables, L-shaped tables, and even stuff like 15x15 tables.

29 minutes ago, player2801864 said:

Dumb question - does anyone play on folding tables that aren't exactly 3' wide? I've never played at my house, where I only have a 30" x 72", which feels awfully silly.

Hey, if it's what you have then you're fine. I've played both Armada and Legion on a 3x4 kitchen island and the only problem we had was how clustered stuff was and the deployments. We fixed that by dropping point limits down to 600 and changing the dimensions of the deployment zones

53 minutes ago, player2801864 said:

Dumb question - does anyone play on folding tables that aren't exactly 3' wide? I've never played at my house, where I only have a 30" x 72", which feels awfully silly.

It's not a standard folding table but I snagged one of the Firmer Terra ALPHA tables and I love it. It folds down to 20" by 48" with portable handles when it's not being used. If I wanna play a game at home, 2-3 minutes to pop it up and it's a little bigger than 4' x 6'.

LOVE IT. 

definitely worth considering. 

Image from their facebook:
36323666_1726642527452892_50441651475479

53 minutes ago, Darth Sanguis said:

It's not a standard folding table but I snagged one of the Firmer Terra ALPHA tables and I love it. It folds down to 20" by 48" with portable handles when it's not being used. If I wanna play a game at home, 2-3 minutes to pop it up and it's a little bigger than 4' x 6'.

LOVE IT. 

definitely worth considering. 

Image from their facebook:
36323666_1726642527452892_50441651475479

This might be the Christmas Gift I've been searching for for myself.

2 hours ago, player2801864 said:

I've only ever played games on tables that are too small.  I'm working on designing a simple plywood surface that will fold down for storage and that will lock into the top of both my kitchen and standard folding table.

4 hours ago, sqorgar said:

There’s a lot of reason to prefer 3x3. Storage, transport, and portability for one. My two Runewars 3x3 mats are considerably easier to move around than any of my 6x4 or 4x4 mats (which can be a nightmare to get back in their canvas carriers) and they work well with smaller games like Malifaux, Kill Team, or Infinity. They can also be modular too (like the Walking Dead: All Out War mats, or the Kill Team boards) allowing you some variety in how you set up a table (though if these are like the RuneWars mats, they have a different finish depending on which direction the are rotated). And finally, you are not limited to just 6x3. you can have 9x3 tables, 6x6 tables, L-shaped tables, and even stuff like 15x15 tables.

All of the above is a huge reason why I stick with felt instead of rubber. The rubber mats can look really good sometimes but other times they don't and I find it weird that the cost of a rubber mat is considered by many to be part of the entry level cost to the hobby. Like a lot of people nowadays feel like anything other than an official product isn't really "right" somehow.

I have a folding table that is to small, I went down to Home Depot and got 3 precut sheets of 1/4” MDF 2’x3’ and just put those on the table to extend the size to 6’x3’ Orginally I just went to hobby lobby and got on of their larger role of terrain grass and covered them which worked fine, though I did eventually just get a neoprene mat sonot covered over the edges and smoothed out some of the inconsistencies.

then I just built a new dining room table for the game lol.  For a first furniture making attempt it turned out well 

When we bought our house last year we were lucky enough to find one with a large hobby room. The ping pong table we got cheap is large enough for tabletop games and my fiance's sewing patterns. Always wanted a hobby room, was about time.