Sign in to follow this  
JadinED

Officer Vader in Corellian Conflict

Is there an FAQ/ruling on how to treat other discarded upgrades, like ExRacks? Personally, I like story-based campaigns, and my gut wants to say they're gone. . . but that doesn't really fit the rules framing of CC. As an example of what I mean, you can have a Motti ISD with 13 faceup damage cards, but as long as it isn't reduced to 0 hull it's just as healthy as a ship that just flew out of the shipyards.

That's not a criticism of the rules, mind you, just a statement on the campaign structure. Given that standpoint, I would posit that any discard upgrades are returned. And you could make a logical argument that any non-unique upgrade, or even a unique upgrade like Strategic Advisor, is simply the person who replaced the executed officer. I mean, Vader was all about strangling dudes and then field promoting the person next in line.

1 hour ago, JadinED said:

Officers and Admirals "discarded" by Officer Vader effect don't end up in sick bay and probably shouldn't be fit for service in the next battle. 

Ideas?

If you discard an upgrade during a battle, it will be available in the next battle. It won't be available if you decide to remove it from your fleet roster, but that is independent from the fact of discarding it during a battle because it instructs you to.

I wasn't really thinking thematically, I was just imagining how frustrating it would be if boarding party Vader forced a Rebel player to discard Adar Tallon in one CC battle, and they couldn't bring them back in following CC battles.

It already hurts bad enough when your most of your ships/squadrons get scarred in an early battle.

1 hour ago, Bertie Wooster said:

I wasn't really thinking thematically, I was just imagining how frustrating it would be if boarding party Vader forced a Rebel player to discard Adar Tallon in one CC battle, and they couldn't bring them back in following CC battles.

It already hurts bad enough when your most of your ships/squadrons get scarred in an early battle.

It’s an interesting question, Bertie.  I guess for a group worried it’s too powerful I would suggest that the card - while themeatically referencing a fatal force choke - is actually just Vader demoting someone.  We have seen Vader choke people non-fatally, specifically in reference to a demotion.  For my group who are lore/immersion nuts I will def be saying that this sort of thing is fatal (imperial officer target of officer Vader & rebel officer target of boarding Vader) and the rebel players will take that as a challenge, knowing that if they can destroy the ship Vader’s is on he also is gone for good, wether it’s fighter Vader, boarding Vader, officer Vader or Admiral Vader.

Sometimes a little bit of asymmetry in the challenge makes the game a much more rewarding STORY than coldly sticking like glue to the mechanics.