Cow-of-Doom

Resistance Build

Now that the point costs are up, and the resistance looks absolutely fantastic to play, (especially the bomber), I came up with this as a first attempt:

69) Edon Kappehl

(7) Paige Tico

(5) Proton Bombs

(6) Proximity Mines

(3) Trajectory Simulator

(4) Advanced Optics

Points 94

(52) Jessika Pava

(0) Integrated S-foils

(5) BB Astromech

(6) Ferrosphere Paint

Points 63

(35) Tallissan Lintra

(0) Heroic

(1) Marksmanship

(6) Ferrosphere Paint

Points 43

Total points: 199

My goal off the bat was to not overload the bomber too much. Running it cheaper might be smarter, but I wanted to be able to have fun with it, while it could still get work done, even if it was a bit more pricey than strictly necessary. As it is, you can drop/launch during the system, drop/launch after doing a white or blue (even while stressed) from the pilot ability, drop/launch after taking a shot (Paige) and drop/launch after death (Paige). You can get the free rotate if needed (Paige) and can flip the blank to a focus offensively (probably better use on the 2 dice from the turret, but still pretty good for rounding out your attack power on 3 dice anyways). Tallie just gets to hand out the extra evades like a boss, and can hopefully hang around with heroic and ferropshere, same thing for jess (who can get up to three re-roll sets if needed in a round if you sacrifice the BB-charges). 

It seems pretty solid:  Im hoping you can probably punch something pretty hard between 7+ attack dice from the ships alone, not including bombs, the first round and just keep making a mess of things with the bomber until you go down, but by that point you've just torn into everything whether they get close or not. 

What do you think? Are there any glaring changes that should be made? Anything and everything is welcome, I just wanted to throw this out there and get some discussion going for the Resistance and theorycrafting for the ships and such (go Rebels but better!)

Edited by Cow-of-Doom

You can’t run two of the same upgrade on a single ship.

Also, Trajectory Simulator only works in the System Phase.  So no launching via Paige or Blue/White maneuver.

Also also, Heroic is one point, not zero.

I like the idea of one bomber and 2-3 other ships.  You might drop Paige for Rose and the Ferrosphere paint jobs for Veteran Turret Gunner.  Then you can get some cool double taps, while moving your arc for free.

Edited by Phelan Boots

Ran the bomber today with L’ulo and 2 generic A-Wings. 

It was really hard to fly at first, I damaged my own ships more than my opponent’s. I think I’ll keep practicing though, it’s interesting. Price and lack of torpedoes puts it well behind the Punishers though I think. 

Also some crits absolutely kill you. At one point I had zero agility and red turns! 

I’m not sold on Veteran Turret Gunner though, you might get a couple of fairly weak shots with it and then struggle to keep both arcs on target. But you might also be better than me! 

Edited by ayedubbleyoo

Yeah that was my alternate option. I think that if it turns out that bombs aren't as viable without having ablative plating (the bomber just isnt worth trading off damage on yourself for a damage on an opponent), Vinnie with 3-P0 and Rey gunner is going to be really good (because the bomber isn't necessarily good just for bomb spam now. The turret and primary 3 combo means it can actually dish out some pain). To free up points in this case, it occurred I could drop Pava down to Bastian and save some points. He effectively has 1.0 Fire Control, which is a very good option for cheaper, and would end up with something like this:

New Squadron

(67) Vennie

(6) C-3PO

(14) Rey

(2) Tactical Scrambler

Points 89

(48) Lieutenant Bastian

(0) Integrated S-foils

(6) Ferrosphere Paint

(4) Heavy Laser Cannon

(5) R5 Astromech

Points 63

(35) Tallissan Lintra

(1) Heroic

(4) Juke

(8) Primed Thrusters

Points 48

Total points: 200

With this the bomber becomes a lot harder to hit overall, getting a bonus dice mod from three of the four arcs (rey out the front and side arcs for his ability if needed, with a blank to an evade with Rey or the extra focus result) and 3-p0 means you can always have at least two dice mods even if you coordinate, three if you calculate) and can output some damage with a three/two. Bastian does a lot of work on his own with the free locks consistent damage, and has some regen. His points can for sure be mixed around if ferrosphere isn't too great, so we will see. 

I'm afraid it might be pretty hard for Bastian to line shots with HLC with his initiative. I would give him some torpedoes instead, since he should usually have a target lock on something. And if you want to keep a high bid - change PT on Talli to Advanced Optics.

I'll be testing it tomorrow, but statistically Heroic and Advanced Optics should guarantee 2 hits almost every time.

Thats a good point, I just figured it would be good for a once or twice a game usage (most likely, unless going against low PS swarms where you can hopefully just shred tie fighters at short and long range). I totally agree with the idea as a whole, Just don't know if its worth dropping all the other points to make Protons fit. If it does turn out ot be effective I don't know whether it would be better to drop the points on Ferrosphere (maybe just drop it entirely and have a 1 point bid) or Primed. I kinda like having primed for the extra utility and can always ensure a rotate or a boost (or both in moments of desperation). 

Is there a better option than Juke on tallie? I couldn't really think of any because you don't really want her to be fighting on the front lines, but I could go for something marksmanship instead and go full in on the bullseye arc. 

Best,

Yep! I originally thought that Vennie was kinda gonna suck because he was reliant entirely on friendly A wing mobile arcs to give him the buff, until I realized he can trigger it on himself. That makes it highly likely you'll have a focus most rounds, and gives you some redundancy on rounds where you don't necessarily want to rotate (for whatever reason, maybe you're stressed or something)

On 11/30/2018 at 7:46 AM, Greebwahn said:

With how many opportunities Edon has to drop bombs, I don't like the idea of using mines. I'd go ProBombs and Seismics.

I used Prox Mines on a StarFortress to good effect over the weekend, and think they are viable on Edon (haven't flow him yet though).  

"After you fully execute a blue or white maneuver, if you have not dropped or launched a device this round, you may drop 1 device."

Since his ability specifies "device" he can still drop Mines after moving.  Can't launch them obviously since launch is limited to bombs.

I'm actually considering a super-light build to leave room for other things.  Edon + Prox Mines + Skilled Bombardier is just 77 points.  270-degree arc and you don't want to get behind him.

I think either super light or mid 90s is gonna be the way to go. 90 something ish is about the max you can take if you want to well deck out another 1/2 ships, and less if you wanna truly deck said other ships out. Vennie and Edon are going to be the two most common I think (I'm guessing not too many people have two bombers to benefit the other pilots, but I'm seriously considering picking up another one for sheer audacity and awesomeness of having two bombers on the board at once). I really like that they included a mix of bomb and gunnery emplacement abilities on the pilots. That opens it up so much more to be viable across the faction, rather than pigeonholing it into being literally just a giant flying bomb bay. 

Thanks for the point about his ability not limiting him to bombs, that makes him even better than I thought before. I'm glad that ends up working out so he can use more than just three things on him. 

My favourite list using him so far:

MG-100 StarFortress - •Vennie - 88
    •Vennie - Crimson Cutter (67)
        Trajectory Simulator (3)
        Seismic Charges (3)
        Proton Bombs (5)
        Veteran Turret Gunner (8)
        Skilled Bombardier (2)

RZ-2 A-wing - •Tallissan Lintra - 47
    •Tallissan Lintra - Deadly Approach (35)
        Heroic (1)
        Proton Rockets (7)
        Advanced Optics (4)

T-70 X-wing - •Temmin Wexley - 64
    •Temmin Wexley - Snap (54)
        Heroic (1)
        BB Astromech (5)
        Integrated S-foils (Open) (0)
        Heavy Laser Cannon (4)

Total: 199/200

View in the X-Wing Squad Builder

I was unsure about VTG to start with but I've managed to get the second shot off at least 2 times each game. I actually prefer Wexley to Poe, but that's probably due to lots of time flying defenders! 

20 hours ago, Mistborn_Jedi said:

I used Prox Mines on a StarFortress to good effect over the weekend, and think they are viable on Edon (haven't flow him yet though).  

"After you fully execute a blue or white maneuver, if you have not dropped or launched a device this round, you may drop 1 device."

Since his ability specifies "device" he can still drop Mines after moving.  Can't launch them obviously since launch is limited to bombs.

I'm actually considering a super-light build to leave room for other things.  Edon + Prox Mines + Skilled Bombardier is just 77 points.  270-degree arc and you don't want to get behind him.

His ability can't launch bombs either, unless you have a way to execute a maneuver in the systems phase.

How about something like this...

RZ-2 A-wing - •L’ulo L’ampar - 41
    •L’ulo L’ampar - Luminous Mentor (38)
        Predator (2)
        Heroic (1)

RZ-2 A-wing - •Tallissan Lintra - 38
        Predator (2)
        Heroic (1)

MG-100 StarFortress - •Vennie - 115
        Trajectory Simulator (3)
        Perceptive Copilot (10)
        Proton Bombs (5)
        Seismic Charges (3)
        •Rey (14)
        Pattern Analyzer (5)

Total: 194/200

That Vennie can be crazy tanky, is guaranteed 2 evades vs 1 shot if in any friendly ship's turret arc (A's count!) and at range 3 can take a significant amount of punishment while also dishing it out.

Edited by FriendofYoda

Literally the list I'm running except I also added advanced Sensors instead of trajectory sim.

Tossing bombs is fun but he NEEDS his focus to stay tanky and while Pattern Analyser helps, it doesn't do anything when he's just blocked in.

Predator (2)
        Heroic (1)

RZ-2 A-wing - •Zari Bangel - 38
    •Zari Bangel - Aerial Exhibitionist (35)
        Composure (2)
        Heroic (1)

MG-100 StarFortress - •Vennie - 124
        Advanced Sensors (8)
        Perceptive Copilot (10)
        Proton Bombs (5)
        Proximity Mines (6)
        •Rey (14)
        Ferrosphere Paint (6)

Total: 200/200

Edited by Sonikgav

47 minutes ago, Sonikgav said:

Literally the list I'm running except I also added advanced Sensors instead of trajectory sim.

Tossing bombs is fun but he NEEDS his focus to stay tanky and while Pattern Analyser helps, it doesn't do anything when he's just blocked in.

Predator (2)
        Heroic (1)

RZ-2 A-wing - •Zari Bangel - 38
    •Zari Bangel - Aerial Exhibitionist (35)
        Composure (2)
        Heroic (1)

MG-100 StarFortress - •Vennie - 124
        Advanced Sensors (8)
        Perceptive Copilot (10)
        Proton Bombs (5)
        Proximity Mines (6)
        •Rey (14)
        Ferrosphere Paint (6)

Total: 200/200

How's it been treating you? What are the tough match ups and how have you felt you could lose games with this list?

5 hours ago, Sonikgav said:

The lack of damage output hurts a little with the only 3 attack ship being your least maneuverable.

Just added the Ferrosphere Paint so haven't tested yet but Ordnance is pretty popular atm and the main issue the bigger ships struggle with.

I agree. Vennie seems like a defensive beast, but I think throwing in a T-70 would help with offensive output. Here’s a list that I’ve been thinking of:

(55) Nien Numb
(1) Heroic
(5) Pattern Analyzer
(0) Integrated S-foils
Points 61

(67) Vennie
(10) Perceptive Copilot
(3) Trajectory Simulator
(5) Proton Bombs
(3) Seismic Charges
(14) Rey
Points 102

(35) Tallissan Lintra
(1) Heroic
(1) Crack Shot
Points 37

@AdmiralAckbar96 if you need to free up points dropping Nein for Ello is also a very good option. I played with him the other night and was supremely impressed (He hard carried against a full health TAP and Starwing and a 1 health TAP and Bomber with nothing but R5 Astro and Heroic). I reworked the list and slapped Black One on him for even crazier shenanigans (three turn into a tallon puts you sideways facing your position or 2 tallon rolls puts you in your position). Really awesome list though! Nein is a madman if your opponent lets you get the reds. 

I'm excited to try it:

New Squadron

(76) Han Solo

(14) Rey

(6) C-3PO

(2) Tactical Officer

Points 98

(35) Tallissan Lintra

(1) Heroic

(2) Predator

Points 38

(56) Ello Asty

(0) Integrated S-foils

(1) Heroic

(5) R5 Astromech

(2) Black One

Points 64

Thats my feeling on the resistance as a whole. If you use the right pilots and your opponent lets you, you can walk all over people. 

6 hours ago, Cow-of-Doom said:

@AdmiralAckbar96 if you need to free up points dropping Nein for Ello is also a very good option. I played with him the other night and was supremely impressed (He hard carried against a full health TAP and Starwing and a 1 health TAP and Bomber with nothing but R5 Astro and Heroic). I reworked the list and slapped Black One on him for even crazier shenanigans (three turn into a tallon puts you sideways facing your position or 2 tallon rolls puts you in your position). Really awesome list though! Nein is a madman if your opponent lets you get the reds. 

I'm excited to try it:

New Squadron

(76) Han Solo

(14) Rey

(6) C-3PO

(2) Tactical Officer

Points 98

(35) Tallissan Lintra

(1) Heroic

(2) Predator

Points 38

(56) Ello Asty

(0) Integrated S-foils

(1) Heroic

(5) R5 Astromech

(2) Black One

Points 64

Thats my feeling on the resistance as a whole. If you use the right pilots and your opponent lets you, you can walk all over people. 

Dang, I hadn’t thought of putting Black One on Ello, but that’s a fantastic idea! Double Tallon Roll shenanigans... 😈

Edited by AdmiralAckbar96
Typo!

Yeah I had trick shot on Han for 199 and was like wait a **** minute! With Ello the slam becomes way less situational and borderline useful for mid fight shenanigans. Instead of using it to either engage, disengage or pull some super wide or situational, specific movement, you can actually use it in the fight to give yourself an advantage. Sure its not necessarily going to be a perfect, amazing game changing thing every single match, but with that added utility on top of either charging straight in or running the heck away, I think its a very good spend for 2 points. 

Of course I still have to play it, but it seems like having something that triggers and provides big benefit once in every 3 games lets say and has a decent benefit in some spot once in every 2 games is pretty slick. 

And if not, well never tell me the odds. Especially on evade dice. 

Edited by Cow-of-Doom