Sign in to follow this  
Biophysical

If you feel like the Empire stinks in Hyperspace format, remember that it's not going up against other Empire stuff, or broken Scum or Rebel stuff

1 minute ago, Carnor Rex said:

Can someone please explain to me or direct me to where I can find info on what this latest development means? Is this an expiration date on all the conversion kits I purchased or is this something I don't need to worry about unless I wanna play hyperspace? I mean will all the new releases and factions from here forward be compatible with the conversion kits or what? 

There is none.  FFG haven't published anything, which is the other really smashing thing about how this is being handled.

6 minutes ago, Carnor Rex said:

Can someone please explain to me or direct me to where I can find info on what this latest development means? Is this an expiration date on all the conversion kits I purchased or is this something I don't need to worry about unless I wanna play hyperspace? I mean will all the new releases and factions from here forward be compatible with the conversion kits or what? 

Dont worry about if you arent interested in Hyperspace. Its just a different format basically just using whats in the Core Set and the new 2nd Edition ships only (black packaging ships on store shelves). So alot of what people have been running is not legal for this format.

https://www.fantasyflightgames.com/en/products/x-wing-second-edition/

Scroll down to Points Lists and you will see a hyperspace column in each faction

Edited by wurms

9 minutes ago, thespaceinvader said:

There is none.  FFG haven't published anything, which is the other really smashing thing about how this is being handled.

Ok, so how are other players coming by their info? 

5 minutes ago, wurms said:

Dont worry about if you arent interested in Hyperspace. Its just a different format basically just using whats in the Core Set and the new 2nd Edition ships only (black packaging ships on store shelves). So alot of what people have been running is not legal for this format.

So is hyperspace just a limited card/ship pool like say.. the modern format of MTG while extended is mostly unrestricted like legacy? If so then it sounds pretty cool. 

Basically my closest gaming buddies and I have been through a few shake ups over the years with various game systems so I'd like to know if I need to sell my current collection now or if its safe to keep and build upon.  

Edited by Carnor Rex

Just now, Carnor Rex said:

Ok, so how are other players coming by their info? 

So is hyperspace just a limited card/ship pool like say.. the modern format of MTG while extended is mostly unrestricted like legacy? If so then it sounds pretty cool. 

Basically my closest gaming buddies and I have been through a few shake ups over all the years so I'd like to know if I need to sell my current collection now or if its safe to keep and build upon.  

Yes, card pool is limited.

Keep the collection. Extended format aka 'everything is legal' format is going to be the format of choice for 90% of the time. Hyperspace limits just those ships in 2nd edition so new players who didnt buy anything in first edition are on an even playing field. It's "suppose" to be a more balanced version by limiting whats legal, but its not, hence this thread.

37 minutes ago, Q10fanatic said:

Also, Imperials are now the only faction with the Jam action.

Unfortunately no. The FO Upsilon can Jam and Scum has Seevor for an engagement phase jam token in Hyperspace format.

Just now, Q10fanatic said:

Forgot about those. So less unique then.

So had I, other than Seevor. It hasn't sunk in enough that the Masochist Imps are a faction yet for their capabilities to pop into mind. Still, Jam is a capability that can be built around, and the Reaper is quick enough to pull it off too.

19 minutes ago, wurms said:

Keep the collection. Extended format aka 'everything is legal' format is going to be the format of choice for 90% of the time.

I'm not so sure about this.  If FFG announces that the 2019 Regional Tournaments are going to use the Hyperspace Format, then I'd suspect that local casual gamenights and kit tournaments will be mostly people wanting to play the Hyperspace Format as preparation for the Regionals, for instance.

So ultimately FFG-OP is entirely in the driver seat for what % of events (and thus the lead-up gamenights) will be Extended Format vs Hyperspace Format.

31 minutes ago, thespaceinvader said:

Which heavy swarms?  The only heavy swarm ships in the format are Strikers and they'll get rekt by torp alphas and tsim bombs.  Howlferno swarm stands a chance, maybe, buy high ps torps still ruin it (one gets tanked by Iden, then you start losing ships), and so do those same trajectory bombs.

I was thinking of Striker/Reaper based lists. They don't have to joust the Alpha Strike or the Tsim bomber. They don't even NEED to fly in formation. If someone works at it, I'm sure they can figure out a strategy.

33 minutes ago, thespaceinvader said:

A whole mess of thing you have to take account of for extended are just... missing.   Cloaking/decloaking.  Massed tractor control.  Stress control.  Significant token stacking. etc etc.

Seriously, where are you seeing 7 or 8 top tier lists with significant differentiation?  What are those lists?

Do you miss token stacking? Maybe we just like different parts of this game.

I'm assuming that people that fly their preferred faction will find, at a minimum, one list that performs well (at least A tier) on the competitive scene. That gets me to five lists. I'm then making the crazy assumption that two or three additional lists may be competitively viable in the meta. Maybe we have different definitions about what "different" means, but I feel like the chassis differences alone will provide a lot of variety in how the lists fly.

57 minutes ago, wurms said:

Hyperspace limits just those ships in 2nd edition so new players who didnt buy anything in first edition are on an even playing field. 

Considering they are allowing the contents of the Resistance Converter in hyperspace, that reasoning doesn’t hold up so well. New players are still have potential to have to deal with things not yet available to them without digging into 1.0 stock. It’s better from a certain point of view, I suppose, but it is not a purely open start point.

Edit: oh, and the First Order converter too. Not sure why I blanked on that.

Edited by SabineKey

5 hours ago, Hiemfire said:

FO would have 1 ship, Resistance would have 2. 

it's clearly Scariff,Yavin based so they shouldn't get anything at all just like Scum shouldn't. If you wanna make a themed Hyperspace format then do it right and not so half -assed

6 minutes ago, Darth evil said:

it's clearly Scariff,Yavin based so they shouldn't get anything at all just like Scum shouldn't. If you wanna make a themed Hyperspace format then do it right and not so half -assed

Considering that excludes 5 of the 7 factions this game is trying to support, with some people buying those factions exclusively, that kind of limitations would be rather damaging to the game.

how is that different to someone who likes flying the yt-2400 or B-wings, or Interceptors(me). Either way people are being left out. 

FFG should have created a vote like they did with the card selection for Corusant where we could have voted for the ships we wanted this season and these ships would not be eligible for the following season.

36 minutes ago, Darth evil said:

where we could have voted for the ships we wanted this season and these ships would not be eligible for the following season.

And you'd have been back the next time the vote came up asking why your favorite ships weren't included again...

31 minutes ago, Darth evil said:

how is that different to someone who likes flying the yt-2400 or B-wings, or Interceptors(me). Either way people are being left out. 

FFG should have created a vote like they did with the card selection for Corusant where we could have voted for the ships we wanted this season and these ships would not be eligible for the following season.

There is a bit of a difference in that if someone is a Scum only player, they have no alternative what so ever under your suggestion. While you have a predicament as your favorite ships are left out in the cold, you can still participate with either faction, as you so choose. You can choose under the current system, while that Scum play cannot under your suggestion. I understand your dislike of not seeing your favorite ships represented, but that's going to happen in a limited format, period. Making it even more limited by excluding more factions just spreads more misery rather than actual helping.

Your idea of a vote might work, but remember that we are dealt with a large fan base with many different tastes when it comes to ships. Even giving people the vote, many are going to be disappointed when their favorite ship(s) aren't voted on. There is absolutely no guarantee that the three favorites you mentioned would have made the list if there was a vote. In someways, I think FFG is doing the right thing in doing it themselves and hopefully installing some sort of rotation system so that ALL ships get their time in Hyperspace, and not leaving it up to populace each year, potentially meaning no change at all.