thespaceinvader

Points are up

I 6 ptl with built in (POEtential) double arc-dodging seems really strong, esp with cheap black1 and primed thrusters

plus self-sufficient, fully modified proton torps

though you're probably right. upon reflection he seems fine, especially next to Rey who makes Boba look modest

14 minutes ago, Vykk Draygo said:

Actually as far as rebels go, haven’t had time to look through the other factions, the Falcon is hyperspace legal, as well as some choice crew. So it seems some conversion kit material is legal, just not all of it. 

I wonder if this means that the (Rebel) Falcon will be the next set to get converted into a 2.0 Expansion release?  Maybe it wasn't inlcuded with the rest of the Wave 3 stuff because, being a $40 box, it would have made the Wave just feel 'too big.'

Edited by AllWingsStandyingBy

8 minutes ago, ficklegreendice said:

plus self-sufficient, fully modified proton torps

I kinda wonder if Poe doesn't want HLC instead. 

It's trickier, sure. But he can double reposition with the s-foils closed and have 4 dice in bullseye at any range. Perhaps not quite as easy to double mod, but it's more than half the cost. 

I suppose the counter is that he really wants BB-8 for the extra action economy to do this, and at that point you're right back to protorps cost.

Will be interesting to see what falls out. I'm kinda jealous, actually. With all those slots and a really strong ability to play with, Poe seems like so much fun to build around.

1 minute ago, AllWingsStandyingBy said:

I wonder if this means that the (Rebel) Falcon will be the next set to get converted into a 2.0 Expansion release?

It's been my number one pick alongside the A-Wing since the speculation started. 

It was a wave 2 release in 1e, more famous and popular than even the X-Wing and it gives the Rebels a large base ship, something they don't have in 2e yet. 

The B-Wing needs longer to cook too, IMO. FFG need to do something special for that ship for its re-release. I'm happy to give them the time to come up with something really good.

Edited by GuacCousteau

idk, but personally I don't think lining up bullseye on small bases is at all reliable at any range that isn't 1

HLC is cheap, though, and that'd be real nice against medium and large bases...so maybe? Protons are the time tested option, however

Edited by ficklegreendice

58 minutes ago, AllWingsStandyingBy said:

Don't forget, the RZ2's dial is also better and it has a Tech slot, which is vastly superior to a Modification slot!  ;)

At this point, I have to believe either FFG has a huge Anti-Rebel sentiment in 2.0, or they are grossly incompetent, or they are just trying to sell lots of the "New Hotness" with powercreep.   I'm not sure which is worse...

Could be cheap because they're planning to drop the cost of the Rebel version, or the Resistance version gets expensive with all the upgrades, or both.

1 hour ago, Rocket_Cat said:

Sooo Hyperspace legal is up for all the factions.... Seems like Hyperspace just = "X-wing 2.0" format i.e. the released stuff no conversion kits. Am I wrong?

Nope you are right, hyperspace is just 2.0 with the Wave 14 and the upcoming Wave 3 ships added in.<_<

44 minutes ago, Frimmel said:

Don't forget that the Mouse might be getting their thumbs in this pie and want more "prominence" for the sequel era stuff. 

Yeah. Disney definitely told FFG what points to use for the Resistance A-Wing. Disney definitely knows exactly what the model should be, and told FFG to shave points off it in order to give people happy memories of the new trilogy.

That's how that works. 200%.

2 minutes ago, Punning Pundit said:

Yeah. Disney definitely told FFG what points to use for the Resistance A-Wing. Disney definitely knows exactly what the model should be, and told FFG to shave points off it in order to give people happy memories of the new trilogy.

I will 100% agree because its highly preposterous to even imagine that the Disney Corporation has the time or energy to micromanage all of the IP licenses to such a degree.  At worst its FFG trying to drum up sales of all their old FO/Resistance stuff before they re-release it. At best its a sign of future point balance changes coming up

2 minutes ago, freakyg3 said:

No gunner - that means only 2d attacks 

Yeah, Quickdraw got a tiny bit cheaper, but lost lightweight frame, making him a lot more fragile.  I'm pretty meh on the TIE/sf in general.  It's an X-wing with worse actions and upgrade slots.  Hopefully the non-garbage new dial will make them a bit better.

Starting in January, System Open

1 hour ago, Kaiju said:

That Hyperspace legal is ridiculous. Basically the conversion kits were, without warning, just a moneygrab from veterans. Aaaand I am out until we can fly actually interesting lists in tournaments.

Starting in January, one part of the System Open is supposed to be Extended with the other Hyperspace format. So you can still play Extended.

23 minutes ago, Phelan Boots said:

I’m going to take these point and slot values on the RZ-2 as a sign of great things to come for RZ-1s in January.

Arvel + Intimidation + Predator!

I hope so. That Arvel would be a ton of fun to fly.

I don't know how to feel about the Hyperspace format. I like that it's expanded past the 2nd edition format, but I'm still not all that hyped for it. looks like it'll be interesting once I get my Resistance conversion kit, but most of the stuff from the first three kits is still not allowed. it just feels so restrictive and for seemingly no reason. I get that it's supposed to allow new comers to get comfortable and not feel compelled to buy old 1.0 stuff and a conversion kit, but if that's the case how come we have unreleased ships showing up in there? I do enjoy that I'll get to use Lando on the Rebellion before the inevitable Falcon re-re-re-release, but I'm really struggling to understand the goal of Hyperspace as a format. it's not really bridging the gap between 2nd ed and extended, since factions are getting 1 ship that isn't out yet, if that, along with a couple of upgrades. It just feels like a weird format.

I'm finding myself way more excited for the new factions as opposed to the original three. the 2nd ed format is just boring when you look at all the toys you have that you can't use, and hyperspace fails to alleviate that in any meaningful way. with the 4 new factions, at least you can use the stuff you get out the box right away. sure there are one or two things in the Resistance and FO kits that don't appear to be hyperspace legal, but every single one of their pilots are just fine. Rebels, Empire, and to a lesser degree Scum, just feel less interesting when you know over half their stuff isn't coming back to the game for a very long time. at least Scum has been getting new ships, but you really gotta feel for people who try to stick to just the Rebels or Empire. they are going to be thirsty for some new stuff by the time Wave 4 finally rolls around. 

Oh well. The stuff for Resistance looks pretty sweet, and the FO looks to be all kinds of efficient in terms of points. couple of surprises in the slots, didn't see a double gunner or talent coming at all, and the Falcon losing it's missile is just a really nice way to strip some more points off the thing. The big surprise for me though is the Silencer. the thing has ordinance now which just sounds so scary.

I've rambled on long enough. I'm both excited for and frustrated by this wave. Hopefully I will learn to like Hyperspace or simply will be able to ignore it and run extended instead.

2 hours ago, AllWingsStandyingBy said:

Don't forget, the RZ2's dial is also better and it has a Tech slot, which is vastly superior to a Modification slot!  ;)

At this point, I have to believe either FFG has a huge Anti-Rebel sentiment in 2.0, or they are grossly incompetent, or they are just trying to sell lots of the "New Hotness" with powercreep.   I'm not sure which is worse...

I think it's just them being conservative at first, bro. And probably trying to leave design room between the two ships. 

I think the RZ1s will go down a bit in points and/or get that second ept in January. 

1 hour ago, Punning Pundit said:

Disney has to approve everything. None of this stuff gets printed without approval from the licensor. If the approvals department wants Poe and Rey to be "better" than OT Luke and Han then Poe and Rey are going to be better than OT Luke and Han. Why would Disney NOT want the new faces of their franchise to be prominent in the licensed merchandise? I think it was in one of the just after announcement of 2nd that a designer was playing and saying the Disney wanted The Force in the game. When you are working on a licensed product with a Star Wars label on it you don't get the last word. 

Now, I will concede I don't know what happened here. We don't really know if we've got "power-creep" with this stuff or will get an adjustment on Rebel points. I might be full of it but I'm probably not out on a rotted limb with my idea. The only new model in the release of 2nd Ed. was from the most recent movie wasn't it? Because the licensor wanted it was likely not the sole reason but it very well may have been an influence. 

Here is an article about videogames which are much bigger but much of that applies with any thing tied to Star Wars. From the article:

Disney has a dual objective with every licensing deal it signs for a major property, such as a game or a TV show. It wants to make money, of course, but it also wants to support the IP it's licensing; keeping it relevant and in the public eye, preferably boosting its appeal, and whatever else, no matter what, absolutely not damaging or devaluing it.

Edited by Frimmel
Added link about videogames and quote from article.

The Rebel Falcon is legal because it's the Rebel Falcon.  Just like I'll be amazed if Luke or the X-Wing ever rotate out, you don't pick up a star wars space fighting game to not play the most iconic ships.  I'm calling it now, but the most iconic ships and characters will always be legal.