Imperial Advisor Arem Heshvaun

Star Wars Galaxy of Adventure

56 minutes ago, TauntaunScout said:

I thought "Galaxy of Adventure" would be boxed RPG gaming thing. Sigh. This is what happens when something you love, is owned by someone else. 

I thought, when I saw this title, that someone was going to be reminiscing some nostalgic rpg game. I was severely disappointed.

55 minutes ago, TauntaunScout said:

I thought "Galaxy of Adventure" would be boxed RPG gaming thing. Sigh. This is what happens when something you love, is owned by someone else. 

I mean, I actually really like this. Cartoons are often viewed as an acceptable medium for showing kids things that might otherwise be scary if being performed by real people. (Ie cartoon acts of violence aren’t as intimidating as the same thing on film)

This could give the story greater reach than it otherwise might see. I like that they seem to be using the actual film voices as well. 

2 hours ago, Derrault said:

This could give the story greater reach than it otherwise might see. I like that they seem to be using the actual film voices as well. 

I assume the target is the parents of the kids. You can't show your toddler Star Wars movies but you can show them this.

On 12/3/2018 at 1:04 PM, TauntaunScout said:

I assume the target is the parents of the kids. You can't show your toddler Star Wars movies but you can show them this.

I think the initial idea was for LFL and Disney to try and reach a new generation of fans, with the shorts being brief and generally action filled so as to not lose the interest of a kid when they have smart phones and the internet. That and it was to tie into with a toyline which I don't think ever really did that well. 

17 minutes ago, Animewarsdude said:

I think the initial idea was for LFL and Disney to try and reach a new generation of fans, with the shorts being brief and generally action filled so as to not lose the interest of a kid when they have smart phones and the internet. That and it was to tie into with a toyline which I don't think ever really did that well. 

My work in museums was such that, countless times over I had to helplessly stand by unheeded as rich people did stupid things to try to reach "the smartphone generation(s)". Usually, this meant they were obsessed with adding touchscreens to exhibits.

2 hours ago, TauntaunScout said:

My work in museums was such that, countless times over I had to helplessly stand by unheeded as rich people did stupid things to try to reach "the smartphone generation(s)". Usually, this meant they were obsessed with adding touchscreens to exhibits.

That or dumbing down something to make it as easily digestable as possible.

If something is good then it will grab people's attention. 

33 minutes ago, Animewarsdude said:

That or dumbing down something to make it as easily digestable as possible.

If something is good then it will grab people's attention. 

Sometimes.

People only have so much time, and to resolve choice conflicts often must rely on first impressions.

ie a game might have a fantastic system behind it, but if the visuals aren’t appealing enough, few will have the time or inclination to try and find out. 

The overall state of the toy line is what I'd call a sad bloody mess. And has been for decades. There's no easy way for a kid to actually know what's available, or what's some old out of production thing. The prices for SW figures are going up vs inflation while toys overall have gone down in price vs inflation. Making cartoons to advertise it won't fix that.

$12.99 for the vintage collection is crazy because you're either buying several or none, and it adds up too fast. When I was two, my brother got for his 5th birthday, Jabba's Throne Room playset, a speeder bike, 2 mini-rig vehicles, and 10 of the new ROTJ action figures. Even if he hadn't owned any SW toys yet (he did), that woulda been a solid enough collection to play with indefinitely if he took good care of it (a household with a 2 and 5 year old doesn't). MSRP for that stuff was around $65. Or about $165 today. What would $165 really get you today? The ten figures would eat up $130 right off the bat. The remaining $35 won't go far in SW vehicles and playsets now. Dollars to play hours, it just doesn't add up anymore. I don't know what Hasbro can do about it. Keeping figures in production for more than 10 seconds and having a comprehensive checklist included with products again might help. Kids can't want what they don't know exists.