Sign in to follow this  
Dantastic24

Board Wipes and Timming

If someone plays any card that would destroy more that one creature where it would effect a static ability or "detroyed" ability, is there a timing involved in the deaths?

Example:

I have Tolas on my side of the board and my opponent has 5 creatures. If I play Gateway to Dis, does everything die at once or do I, as the active player, resolve the order of the creatures dying? 

TolasGateway to Dis

Be prepared I hear conflict coming that said I’ll give you an answer from the rulebook.

You resolve effects in the order of the active players choice. Tolas’s effect can’t resolve until a creature dies meaning gateway to dis must resolve first. Gateway kills all creature including tolas. Tolase’s ability is a constant ability which ceases to work (as per the rules for such abilities) when it leaves play thus it does not work.

this is similar to constant abilities covers under fight where both creatures die.

Hello all,

I believe the active player gets to choose the order in which effects take place; i.e. the order in which creatures are destroyed.

Glossary (Active Player, p.9): "The active player is the player taking the current turn. The active player makes all necessary decisions for all card abilities or timing conflicts that need to resolve during their turn." Since the destroy effect of Gateway to Dis does not specifically state creatures are destroyed simultaneously, the active player can decide the order. So destroy Tolas after you destroy each of your opponent's creatures, so you gain aember, while they gain none as you destroy your own.

The only instance I've found of a simultaneous application (outside of potential card wording) is during the Fight action of Step 3, when resolving the power damage (p.7).

Hope that helps!

Edited by Forgewurm

Also, keep in mind that the order of the discard pile is required to be maintained. This implies that destroying multiple creatures occurs in a processional manner decided by the active player.

Glossary (Discard Pile, p.10): "...The order of cards in a player's discard pile is maintained during play, unless a card ability causes this order to change."

Brad Andres, the lead developer for Keyforge, has replied on multiple occasions that all creatures are destroyed at the same time from the likes of Gateway to Dis and therefore Tolas’ ability does not trigger. The order that they go into the discard pile CAN be chosen however.

3 minutes ago, Forgewurm said:

Wonderful, thank you for the confirmation Palpster.

Regarding if an ability says, "...destroy each creature..." does this affect both opponent and active player?

Thank you,

yes

28 minutes ago, Forgewurm said:

Wonderful, thank you for the confirmation Palpster.

Regarding if an ability says, "...destroy each creature..." does this affect both opponent and active player?

Thank you,

Cards that don't give specific targets, like Ammonia Cloud (Play: Deal 3[D] to each creature.), or even sonething like Three Fates (Play: Destroy the 3 most powerful creatures.) target both players, so be careful when playing them.