Sign in to follow this  
cajunatx

Round Table question

Want to see if we interpret this card correctly: Does Round Table artifact add +1 power and taunt to knight creatures as long as it's in play, and that bonus goes away when it is removed from play?

We didn't think it was an "Add +1 and taunt to knights when put into play" because it doesn't have "play" keyword.

Thanks!

Also if Round Table is removed from play the creatures lose the bonus of the ability. They don't get power tokens they just get extra power and taunt while it's on the board.

I concur with 10Ten. When a token is added (a semi-permanent change) the card specifically says to add a +1 token. When the change is due to a potentially dynamic board situation it just says +1 power. That indicates if you add a token or just add the power as long as the card/position/board state remains providing that power. For example the Niffle Queen only adds the power while she is in play. Zyzzix the Many has a permanent change (while in play, even if the card you archived is later removed from archives). 

Cards that add tokens always say add a token as far as I am aware. Continuous effects that would leave play with the card providing the effects don't. Anyone know of a card that is contradictory?

Tokens are from a specific trigger

Constant Effects exist while the card exists on the board

It's incredibly clear
(Edit - What isn't clear are the 'lingering effects' that are undefined in the book)

Edited by Talamare

I've always hated this about Magic, as it doesn't make power and/or defense(shields in this case) easily read at a glance. It's an MtG construct that I'd sooner see gone. +X to power or shields, power tokens gained by cards on the table, and by action cards previously used, should be explicitly represented on each card that gains them and removed as necessary based on removal of cards from the board.

This is a "haha, you forgot" mechanism that plays to the detriment of the games accessibility—which seems to be its driving force.

Edited by debiant