Jump to content
Animewarsdude

Ships you feel should have a Ship Ability or Configuration

Recommended Posts

TIE/Ln:

There's too many!:

While another friendly TIE/Ln performs an attack, if the defender is in your [foward firing arc] you are not in the defender's firing arc, the defender rolls 1 fewer defense die.

Bwing:

Reinforced Deflectors:

When defending, if the attacker is in your [foward firing arc], you may change one of your BLANK/FOCUS results to an EVADE 

Ywing:

Old, Reliable:

During the end phase, you may flip one of your faceup SHIP damage card facedown

 

 

 

 

Edited by ficklegreendice

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

B-wing 
If you have two [cannon] upgrade equipped, reduce the cost of the cheaper [cannon] upgrade to 0.

Encourages a lot of cannons to please the lore description, allows you to adapt to enemy lists and the situation on the table. Take a cannon for long range and short range, or one that is good only in specific situations in one out of five games and a more general one.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
19 minutes ago, ficklegreendice said:

TIE/Ln:

There's too many!:

While another friendly TIE/Ln performs an attack, if the defender is in your [foward firing arc] you are not in the defender's firing arc, the defender rolls 1 fewer defense die.

That would be so very nasty. "Joust me or die!"

I have to say though, I'm a little surprised you haven't suggested a ship ability or configuration for the ARC-170. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, Animewarsdude said:

That would be so very nasty. "Joust me or die!"

I have to say though, I'm a little surprised you haven't suggested a ship ability or configuration for the ARC-170

Hull mounted primary: + 1 red die if target is in bullseye arc.

Move the bloody guns to where they'd do more good.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
20 hours ago, Animewarsdude said:

Configuration:

Advanced Gyroscopics - A/SF-01 B-Wing

Set Up: Add a mobile arc.

While your Mobile Arc is in your Left or Right Arc you MUST treat your Bullseye Arc as if it to the left or right of your printed Bullseye Arc in the direction of your Mobile Arc.

When you reveal your dial you may perform a free Rotate action.

Reasoning: To reflect the movement of the ship, and it would allow for some fun/different player choice and would make the B-Wing more likely use make use of HLC. With the timing I think you could even still use Advanced Sensors with the free action since it is 'when' rather than 'after' unless of course you were stressed. 

Yeah would love to see some form of bulls-eye enhancement. The power level is pretty reasonable, its thematic, and further enhances to the b-wings cool/unique/weird factor. 

The idea to use a turret indicator idea is good, but actually having a turret indicator/mobile arc/rotate action seems too messy. 

This seems a bit cleaner and more in-line with current configurations:

Config: You may place the range indicator to the [left/right] of the || when you check for ||. Before you activate you may flip this card.

Flipping the card changes between left/right. Not an action so can do even stressed (like other configurations)

"May place" might be a little too good, but "must place" seems a little too weak. Maybe you do use the turret indicator and have 3 positions and "if left/right...must", but its not treated like a turret/arc/rotate in any way.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Animewarsdude said:

That would be so very nasty. "Joust me or die!"

I have to say though, I'm a little surprised you haven't suggested a ship ability or configuration for the ARC-170. 

Wanted to start basic to show that every ship could use a config

Not sure what the ARC's ability is, have only seen them in RotS and that's not much to go on

Def gotta call the ability Aggressive Reconnaissance, though (when an enemy ship at r 0-1 defends,if it is in your firing arc, it cannot roll more greens than the number of HIT/CRIT results)

 

But i know Ks oughta drop a bomb (specifically) after SLAM and gunbosts should have the E's thing 

Edited by ficklegreendice

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, Nyxen said:

I feel like you may have missed one of the fundamental quotes from the prequel trilogy :P

I wouldn't call it "fundamental." More like it was there in a hamfisted attempt to give Anakin a legitimate point of view that in the end just came across as a petulant "No, YOU!"

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

B-Wing config-

Loadout 1: While you are stressed, you may treat the [Bullseye] requirement of your equipped [Cannon] or [Torpedo] upgrades as [Front Arc]. 

Loadout 2: While you preform a [Cannon] or [Torpedo] attack, if you are stressed, you may decrease the range limit by 1, to a minimum of 1.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I like the B as is right now. Admittedly Ten+AdvSen is stapled to every list I make. But to put my spin on the thread I will say that the shop had S-foils and I feel like it's a shame that we can't do much with that. But I do like the idea of playing around with what actually it's the bulls eye and why should you equip the B with a Canon at all, let alone two. But where simpler is better, instead of a flip config or a turret indicator I came up with these riffs on the two ideas that jumped out at me. 

Ship Ability-Stabilized Cockpit: You can preform (focus) actions while stressed.

This plays on the theme that B's are good when they would be stressed, basically a weak version of the current two named pilots and a boost to Braylen who's ability is good, but compared to Ten falls a little flat. It also gives the Ba little extra resilience against stress mechanics representing it's heavy duty construction. This would give me a reason to debate if getting rid of stress on ten or taking a mini lock+focus is better. And still makes even generic B's intriguing. I intentionally say focus only to keep the ability in check compared to other ship abilities and prevent a combo engine. Downside, it also makes the pilots, generic or not, feel more like the focus then the ship in some cases. But hey it's the B. B is for bad***** pilot.

[Cannon emphasis ability, no working title]: Treat your equipped (Cannon) upgrades as though they had (Front arc). You can not use (Cannon) to attack ships in your bulls eye arc. 

This plays to their big gun theme but also tries to balance the extra real estate you gain in impact area by giving you a blind spot too. Downside, it so far and probably only ever would help HLC equipped B's. I like the idea of the off center guns being played with but feel that if you could just say that in the simplest terms, that you can't get your own bulls eye but woe to those who fly into the guns ability to swing around the cockpit entirely, the more you would feel the theme of it. Better if you could just say the bullseye is flipped for all abilities too. I crack shot you UNLESS your in my blind bullseye would be neat. Force, you could just call it "Off center gun mounts".

Config-Primed Cannons-when performing attacks with your equipped (Cannon) upgrades, roll an additional die. (This card uses your config slot AND a Canon slot)

Obligatory config version. Plays to the upgrade bar, asks players to choose between potential dual Cannon slot upgrades or the configuration. 

But again, I like the B as is. The dial is ridiculously good. The action bar is great. AdvSen is back on it like the old days and it is a pleasure to fly with it. And it jousts well still with out being the old laughably high shields as it's only salvation. I'm not sure if I want any of this stuff getting in the way of keeping the ship neatly trimmed to a fourth of the list in standard. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Ambaryerno said:

I wouldn't call it "fundamental." More like it was there in a hamfisted attempt to give Anakin a legitimate point of view that in the end just came across as a petulant "No, YOU!"

I mean, his only guiding light was the Jedi code and when everyone around him betrayed it; I feel him finding them corrupt is valid but go off I guess

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, ForceSensitive said:

But again, I like the B as is. The dial is ridiculously good. The action bar is great. AdvSen is back on it like the old days and it is a pleasure to fly with it. And it jousts well still with out being the old laughably high shields as it's only salvation. I'm not sure if I want any of this stuff getting in the way of keeping the ship neatly trimmed to a fourth of the list in standard. 

Uhh...  The B’s dial is arguably one of the reddest dials in the game.  It’s not *bad* per say, but Y-Wings are more maneuverable without an R4, and the B’s Barrel Roll is no longer a unique thing for it.  Of all the ships making the transition to v2, I feel like the B-Wing got the least amount of scrutiny.  I have difficulty justifying it over a T-65 X-Wing, and feel it needed a reload, or reinforce, or free evade when being shot at from it’s front or rear arc...  or something.  

BUT v2 did indirectly help it out tremendously by doing away with it’s biggest bugbears, Twin Laser Turrets and Harpoon Missiles.  And it is an efficient jousting platform with very little reason to not take a super-cheap Hull or Shield upgrade!  I feel like when they rerelease it for v2, we’ll get an E2 Title and probably some bells and whistles for it.  And yeah, if E2 gives it a crew slot, I’ll be plugging a damned GONK into the thing.

Edited by It’s One Of Ours

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 minutes ago, It’s One Of Ours said:

Uhh...  The B’s dial is arguably one of the reddest dials in the game.  It’s not *bad* per say, but Y-Wings are more maneuverable without an R4, and the B’s Barrel Roll is no longer a unique thing for it.  Of all the ships making the transition to v2, I feel like the B-Wing got the least amount of scrutiny.  I have difficulty justifying it over a T-65 X-Wing, and feel it needed a reload, or reinforce, or free evade when being shot at from it’s front or rear arc...  or something.  

BUT v2 did indirectly help it out tremendously by doing away with it’s biggest bugbears, Twin Laser Turrets and Harpoon Missiles.  And it is an efficient jousting platform with very little reason to not take a super-cheap Hull or Shield upgrade!  I feel like when they rerelease it for v2, we’ll get an E2 Title and probably some bells and whistles for it.  And yeah, if E2 gives it a crew slot, I’ll be plugging a damned GONK into the thing.

Red doesn't mean bad. Especially when the only two named pilots both require them to be stressed to activate. Flying Ten is interesting because I actually dislike when the maneuver I'm doing is white or blue (almost wrote green lol). It leaves lots of interesting decisions to be made and then if my attack and defense rolls whiff on eyeballs I have even more decisions to make that are still interesting. Add AdvSen and it's like flying a phantom, but cooler because it's just how that ship flies and not a separate mechanic. On paper yes it's the most red. But 2K, 1T, blue 3 straight, Barrel roll, sensor slot, Force without looking at the rest of it those items alone would make me play the ship. Now reload? Yeah, maybe that would've been nice. But also just icing on the cake. I do just fine without it. Haven't tried torps yet on then though. Maybe tonight 🤔😏

In the meantime trust me that Ten+AdvSen can pull as much weight as Wedge+ProTorp. Usually he is my end game, or my opponents enemy#1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

EVERY. GOD. ****. SHIP.

 

I am really sad that FFG was so lazy or had to hush 2nd edition so much. Every single ship should have at least a special ability. The trademark ability of that ship. That can even be disadvantages (that make the ship cheaper).

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, beardxofxdeath said:

EVERY. GOD. ****. SHIP.

I am really sad that FFG was so lazy or had to hush 2nd edition so much. Every single ship should have at least a special ability. The trademark ability of that ship. That can even be disadvantages (that make the ship cheaper).

That's the ship's dial, actions, linked actions, red actions, statline... 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, svelok said:

That's the ship's dial, actions, linked actions, red actions, statline... 

Soon you run out of unique dials, unique stats, unique action combinations.
That is what led them to create new maneuvers (segnors, talons, backwards), new actions (reload, jam, reinforce) that, after a while, caused earlier ships to pale in comparison and made no sense not to have them.
But they couldn't errata the dials or the cards.

A ship should reflect its lore on its stats and actions. But soon there comes the point when a TIE would be identical to another TIE.
Ship abilities fix this problem, giving them something no other ship will have, even if they had exact same dial, actions, and statline.

The day they bring out the TIE Avenger, to be honest, it should be quite identical in statline, dial and actions to the TIE Defender, since they had the exact same role, both were as overpowered, and almost the same weapons (Defender had ions, while Avenger didn't, that's about it. But Avenger could equip beam weapons, so...). How will they make it substantially different? Easy: a ship ability that makes it play differently.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, ForceSensitive said:

Red doesn't mean bad. Especially when the only two named pilots both require them to be stressed to activate. Flying Ten is interesting because I actually dislike when the maneuver I'm doing is white or blue (almost wrote green lol). It leaves lots of interesting decisions to be made and then if my attack and defense rolls whiff on eyeballs I have even more decisions to make that are still interesting. Add AdvSen and it's like flying a phantom, but cooler because it's just how that ship flies and not a separate mechanic. On paper yes it's the most red. But 2K, 1T, blue 3 straight, Barrel roll, sensor slot, Force without looking at the rest of it those items alone would make me play the ship. Now reload? Yeah, maybe that would've been nice. But also just icing on the cake. I do just fine without it. Haven't tried torps yet on then though. Maybe tonight 🤔😏

In the meantime trust me that Ten+AdvSen can pull as much weight as Wedge+ProTorp. Usually he is my end game, or my opponents enemy#1

Ten with Sensors is basically just v1’s “Farlander Special”, minus the Stay on Target.  If we could get that EPT back, or an E2 mod allowing Ten Numb to have Seasoned Navigator riding shotgun, then we’d be really on to something. 

Braylen’s problem however is that his ability is an every other turn thing, unless you plan on not doing actions.  Even in v1 with Ibtism, I found it rather sub-par.  And because he has to clear stress conventionally (barring some other ship doing a combo), Braylen’s reliant upon a lackluster set of blue maneuvers.  In v1 I referred to those maneuvers as “having to jump-start the Starviper after pulling an S-Loop.”    

So for now, I think the Bs could use something more.  Maybe better cannon options, an E2 Title, or a ship configuration card (or two).  If we go thematic, the weapons on the B-Wing are supposed to be modular and allow for different configurations.  So it could have a couple different configuration setups, like the Alpha Class Starwing.

Edited by It’s One Of Ours

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 11/27/2018 at 12:33 AM, Okapi said:

I'd like to see the v1 get a force-related ship ability. Not exactly the same as the Aethersprite, but something similar, maybe evoking the old v1 title.

Squirrely Bastard: After you fully execute a maneuver, you may spend 1 [force] to perform an evade action.

 It would open up a whole slew of possible combos, with different strengths and weaknesses. Do you:

  • Keep your force token and do a single action?
  • Keep your force token and boost/roll > focus > stress?
  • Spend your force token, do an evade and then a single action? (1.0 style evade and lock!)
  • Spend your force token, do an evade and then boost/roll > focus > stress?

If the v1 is slightly overcosted, I'd much rather see this than a price drop. Also, Fifth Brother pilot plz.

I like this, and it's interesting. Alas poor Barons of the Empire, however. :D

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, Ambaryerno said:

I wouldn't call it "fundamental." More like it was there in a hamfisted attempt to give Anakin a legitimate point of view that in the end just came across as a petulant "No, YOU!"

Frustratingly, this line is _much_ better in the novelization of Ep 3, where we actually see the Jedi being jerks to Anikan for no better reason than that they don't think they need to treat him well. Meanwhile Palpatine is goading the Jedi into being dumber and dumber towards him.

I'd also posit that the events of Dark Disciple (canon novel!) are a clue as to why Anikan might have been feeling that the Jedi and the Sith really aren't any better than one another.

I'm not saying that Ambaryerno is wrong! Just that it's bad writing/directing/editing, rather than the totally left field line that it seems like in the movie.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 11/27/2018 at 4:22 AM, Ambaryerno said:

Absolutely not. The mini superlaser B-wing is an abomination.

1

Your opinion about the superlaser, while your own, is moot. It happened and so there is the theory that it can be replicated in game form. I am behind a superlaser B-Wing so long as it is appropriately balanced.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


×
×
  • Create New...