Mindless Philosopher

Unlimited Power/Mystic and My Potential Character

Hi, guys!

Um, so I'm still tweaking ideas for my first character.  I swear, I'm gonna get out and find a group eventually!  I will paste the relevant text from the original post here:

I'd like to try my hand at creating a character.  I think maybe the easiest thing to do would be to make someone (very) roughly equivalent to myself for a first try, as it seems to me that it would be easier to play such a character for a newcomer.  I thought I might bounce a few ideas around:

A. IRL, I am a committed humanist.  I did my graduate work in a pre-modern, non-Western literature and believe sincerely in the power and importance of texts of all types to help us: navigate the sentient condition; foster positive relationships between individuals of different cultures and backgrounds; learn from societies from different times and places; and participate knowledgeably and effectively in civil discourse.    Given this background and these views, I am thinking that Consular: Sage is the best career and specialization fit for me in F&D.

B. Probably going to make the character's background story a short, rough analogue of my own.  Maybe a paragraph or two.

C. Species and stats: I'm open to whatever on species.  I really wish we had more about other species' cultures in canon in order to better build a background and character, but it is what it is.  At least we have the bare basics.  It feels very strange and wrong to try to stat myself, especially since it feels very presumptuous to try to give the character a 4 in anything.  I might be going about this the wrong way.  But I DO know that I should have, like, a negative ten in CUN. 😜

😧 Morality: I don't really like some of the dichotomies they've set up here.  When I think 'moral strength' I think of a more altruistic virtue, not something like 'Curiosity' or 'Caution'.  Oh, well.  I do know that Jealousy is my main moral weakness, so that's a start.  Mercy and Justice appeal to me as strengths.  I want to do what is fair and what is right.

E: Force Powers/The Force in My Life: Flashy stories are fun, but I think I am going to use my character's academic background in ancient stuff to suggest something like "Uh, oh, I was looking into [some species here]'s mythological and shamanistic traditions and got put on an Imperial blacklist!"  We'll see.  I'm thinking of making the character initially skeptical of his Force powers, but open-minded about the issue, if that makes sense.  I'm interested in exploring Foresee and Sense because of how they can potentially affect character development, especially Foresee.  As a somewhat worry-prone person, what if I saw a nebulous glimpse of the future?  Also, as a primarily non-combat focused character, Sense and Foresee seem like ways I could potentially help out the group.

Now, since I made that post and tossed out those ideas, there've been a lot of options added for Mystics!  I am wondering if a character with my background could be more accurately/easily portrayed as a Mystic as opposed to a Consular.  Would it be a better fit?  I'm just curious; let me know what you think.  Nothing is set in stone, and I really am leaning towards the Consular: Sage, anyway!

Thank you!

Hello. 
Sorry for the late reply.
Mystic, for me, crosses over a great deal with Consular and the few mystic npcs and indeed my character have specs from both careers. I chose to base myself in mystic but you could just as easily do so for consular. I liked mystic better and am satisfied with the career book that it was the correct choice but you do you.

It only matters if you have the relevant books, but do keep in mind that while specializations can be cross-classed at will, signature abilities cannot. So if you have them, looking at the signature abilities for consular and mystic could help you decide what career to start with, if you prefer one set over the other.

Off the top of my head, consular has one that lets you temporarily 'give' a talent you possess to the rest of your party, and a social one that downgrades all challenge dice out a single check. Mystic has one that lets you make and bring a literal prophecy to fruition, and one that lets you re-roll/buff a force check.

I will say that I thought the Consular's Signature Ability was very underwhelming when I saw it.  I get how it works with the flavor of being a helper/teacher, but...I gotta say I want to be selfish and do something cool myself.

I've also bitten the bullet and am finally writing out specs and stats, as well as getting into my background.  It's fun; we'll see where it goes!

Edited by Mindless Philosopher

10 hours ago, Mindless Philosopher said:

I will say that I thought the Consular's Signature Ability was very underwhelming when I saw it.  I get how it works with the flavor of being a helper/teacher, but...I gotta say I want to be selfish and do something cool myself.

I've also bitten the bullet and am finally writing out specs and stats, as well as getting into my background.  It's fun; we'll see where it goes!

Well the nice thing is that every career actually has two signature abilities. The second one for the Consular is that one I mentioned before: when you make a social skill check, you can activate it to downgrade every challenge (Red D12) die in the pool into a standard difficulty (Purple D8) die. It's one of the strongest social abilities in the game, considering that most social skill checks are opposed so will have challenge dice much more frequently than most other checks.

Actually yes warrior:steel hand adept is the career: starting spec, I'm currently playing 2 character whose first 2 specs are warrior:steel hand adept/niman disciple, the kotor one will take ascetic with the next 50 xp (40 of it anyway).  The 1500xp sequel era warrior:steel hand adept/ niman disciple/ padawan survivor/sentry needs to take center of being, improved center of being, to get to force rating in niman disciple and maybe 15 xp down the left side of enhance, and will then take ascetic.