Wes Janson

Armada 2.0

1 hour ago, xanderf said:

Yeah, no.

An app with adjusting point costs is an auto-drop-the-game thing for me.  Sorry, FFG did that with X-Wing, already, and I and dozens of others (several I know in person, but also look at the FFG forums and eBay) dropped the game entirely as a result.  At least I kept my wave 1 stuff, but a lot of guys just dumped the entire game as a result.

I play tabletop games to get away from computers, it's a non-negotiable drop-the-game if that comes up.

I though the app was an interesting idea.  I dropped X-wing because I would need to spend a minimum $180 just to replay part of my current fighters.

20 minutes ago, chr335 said:

I though the app was an interesting idea.  I dropped X-wing because I would need to spend a minimum $180 just to replay part of my current fighters.

Yep, they entered full crazy town when they thought people should shell out that much for those kits. 

4 minutes ago, Do I need a Username said:

People did though?

Far fewer than they were hoping, though, I suspect.

I sold off 90% of my X-Wing Collection, and I had been playing avidly since the first pre-launch at Gencon 2012. I'm somewhat tied into the 'old guard' community, and a surprisingly high number of vets I know have dropped the game entirely or have converted a bit of their stuff but have been yet to play in any 2.0 events.  There's also appeared to have been an abnormally high number of collections getting sold as lots or parted out on the trade groups over the past six months.

Locally, both the casual X-Wing nights and the tourneys have had much lower turnout than 1.0 was having about a year ago.  While there's been a few new faces popping in, there's far more old familiar faces that have vanished.

I'd love to see some sales projections and sales data from the past two years of 1.0 and the first few months of 2.0 for X-Wing.  I know our FLGS is disappointed with X-Wing 2.0's slow takeoff speed.

If they DO do an armada 2.0, I vote that they split the core box into faction boxes with all the core set contents along with a hammerhead for the Rebels and an Arquitens for the imperials. This means that outta the box all the core box upgrades are useful. Make it like 60$. The 100$ price tag is prohibitive to many people. 

1 hour ago, Do I need a Username said:

So any information we get regarding that is unreliable at best.

There are two main angles from which to doubt the information. As both an Intelligence Officer and behavioural psychologist, in fact - questioning information is practically my middle name.

The first is that no employee at FFG would disclose such information - which does seem to be what you're suggesting. Without wanting to come off as arrogant, I'd like to ask what planet you are from? Military professionals, professional counter-intelligence professionals and what not divulge highly classified information all the time. Corporate secrets are divulged all the time as well. Industrial secrets are divulged, I'd wager, much more often. The follow-up question would of course be if a FFG employee would divulge such information to a host of an Armada podcast and not just a family member. The thing is, employees at FFG are probably more likely to be friends of board game/miniature gamers than regular people - for obvious reasons. Similarly, it is more likely that the FFG employee told his friend this information, telling him NOT to pass the information on rather than the opposite. Again making it less unbelievable that an FFG employee would divulge this information.

The second main line of questioning would be whether the podcast host is simply lying. I also happen to be an owner and podcast host (likewise on a niche topic, CrossFit). Lying about information which you could then be confirmed wrong/right about in the future sounds like a super bad idea if you want your podcast to be succesful, it'd hurt you brand quite a bit.

Now, does all of this mean it isn't likely that you're right? No. Not at all. The guy could be lying.

But couple it with multiple other personalities (e.g. Crabbok) in the Armada Community already having predicted a wave 8 and many things pointing towards the SSD not being a wave (e.g. no ships from both factions). The simple fact that it seems likely to be true - whether or not the source of the information is true or not - does not as such corroborate that wave 8 is being playtested, but it does support it.

Your outright dismissal is odd. More so than no one having picked up the news.

1 hour ago, geek19 said:

I disbelieve this statement based on the fact that The Outer Rim Job guys know less than Jon Snow.

I'm curious.

Why would you say that?

(You're from CGYSO, right?)

dominosfleet said

Haven't listened to that podcast, they that bad? So far I've only really enjoyed Fire When Ready

They aren't bad at all. But as a podcaster myself, I do cringe at their recording quality and effort. I also disagree with their format quite a bit. To be fair though, all the other Armada podcasts out there are either Skype interview based (a format I really hate, even when professional podcasters do it) with sound quality that is also bad - or they're Fire When Ready. A podcast masterly done and completely out of range for comparison.

I also enjoy that they aren't as politically correct as Jim... come on, him defending the new trilogy and the whole LBGQT-crusade crap? Meh. Not sure how that is relevant in a solo podcast that is scripted, performed tightly and completely on point as to the topic of Armada all the time.

Edited by Cpt. Caine

18 minutes ago, Forresto said:

Every time I see this thread hit the top of the forum my heart drops.

Until a few waves fundamentally break the current pliable meta of Armada, I hope to never see a 2.0

Sorry lol. It was more of a gut feeling post.

16 minutes ago, Cpt. Caine said:

The second main line of questioning would be whether the podcast host is simply lying. I also happen to be an owner and podcast host (likewise on a niche topic, CrossFit). Lying about information which you could then be confirmed wrong/right about in the future sounds like a super bad idea if you want your podcast to be succesful, it'd hurt you brand quite a bit.

Fun fact: When an X-wing podcast faked a points leak, it got a significant listener boost.

3 minutes ago, Do I need a Username said:

Fun fact: When an X-wing podcast faked a points leak, it got a significant listener boost.

I'm not going to debate with someone who does not wish to consider what other people actually write. But.

I did not say it is impossible for that to be the reason behind saying it.

I did not say it would with complete certainty be a net loss for a podcast host to lie about news interesting their listeners.

I did say that my assessment is that there is no reason to assume that it is necessarily a lie simply because one could imagine a motive.

Edited by Cpt. Caine

Just now, Cpt. Caine said:

I'm not going to debate with someone who does not wish to consider what other people actually write.

I did not say it is impossible for that to be the reason behind saying it.

I did not say it would with complete certainty be a net loss for a podcast host to lie about news interesting their listeners.

I did say that my assessment is that there is no reason to assume that it is necessarily a lie simply because one could imagine a motive.

I did not say it was a lie.  I said unreliable at best.  People have said wave 8 is coming for a while. It coming is pretty certain, but it being in playtesting is just an ill-informed guess.  Every leak is, until it becomes substantiated - which this one has not been.  This is pure guesswork on their part.

Since I first played this game I always felt like I am walking on thin ice. Will there be a new wave? Will they cancel the game? Is SSD the final ship of the game?Always there has been a pessimistic attitude towards the game which I did not understand. For me, I love this game since Wave 3 ( when I first entered) and still enjoying it at each wave.  

In my humble opinion, we don't need a 2.0, however because of this general pessimistic attitude, I feel like, once there is a hint of conversion kits, card apps, new core sets and new updated ships, this forum will be in real fire and a lot of people will walk out of this game.

Updated cards should be provided, new factions should be provided but whatever they do they should not touch the game mechanics and whatever addition they do, should be compatible with old stuff.

Oh having said that, if Episode IX has a space battle that rivals Battle of Endor, then with expectation of new recruits to the game, FFG might introduce new factions but I hope they don't push for 2.0

Just now, Do I need a Username said:

I did not say it was a lie.  I said unreliable at best.  People have said wave 8 is coming for a while. It coming is pretty certain, but it being in playtesting is just an ill-informed guess.  Every leak is, until it becomes substantiated - which this one has not been.  This is pure guesswork on their part.

Either (truth; truth) wave 8 is being playtested and a host of TORJ is telling the truth OR (lie; N/A) a host of TORJ is lying OR (truth; lie) an FFG employee lied to a host of TORJ about playtests happening.

Those are the logical options. There is no grey middle ground there with ill-informed guesses and what not, only a high level of uncertainty as to whether option 1 or 2 (or, extremely unlikely, option 3) is the state of affairs. Only option A (he's telling the truth) gives us any worthwhile information about whether or not playtesting of wave 8 is happening. My assessment is that there is above a 51% likelihood of wave 8 being in playtest all things considered together (e.g. his words, historical data on armada releases, expert opinions in the community, the state of the sister games of Armada and Armada itself form a business standpoint)

In either occurrence, this piece of information is about WHEN wave 8 is happening and a final conformation as to trhe SSD not being a wave. It is not about WHETHER Wave 8 is happening as there is very, very little to no reason to assume that it isn't.

10 minutes ago, Cpt. Caine said:

Either (truth; truth) wave 8 is being playtested and a host of TORJ is telling the truth OR (lie; N/A) a host of TORJ is lying OR (truth; lie) an FFG employee lied to a host of TORJ about playtests happening.

Those are the logical options. There is no grey middle ground there with ill-informed guesses and what not, only a high level of uncertainty as to whether option 1 or 2 (or, extremely unlikely, option 3) is the state of affairs. Only option A (he's telling the truth) gives us any worthwhile information about whether or not playtesting of wave 8 is happening. My assessment is that there is above a 51% likelihood of wave 8 being in playtest all things considered together (e.g. his words, historical data on armada releases, expert opinions in the community, the state of the sister games of Armada and Armada itself form a business standpoint)

In either occurrence, this piece of information is about WHEN wave 8 is happening and a final conformation as to trhe SSD not being a wave. It is not about WHETHER Wave 8 is happening as there is very, very little to no reason to assume that it isn't.

OR they are accidentally telling the truth because of pure guesswork, which is more reasonable than them having a secret insider source in FFG.

18 minutes ago, LostFleet said:

Since I first played this game I always felt like I am walking on thin ice. Will there be a new wave? Will they cancel the game? Is SSD the final ship of the game?Always there has been a pessimistic attitude towards the game which I did not understand. For me, I love this game since Wave 3 ( when I first entered) and still enjoying it at each wave.  

If they cancel the game, they will announce it well in advance.

I think they made a mistake when they decided to make 'Armada' a small skirmish game with micromanagement in the form of uncountable upgrades per ship and a ton of squadrons with special rules. As an Imperial player you only need 2 ISD's or 1 ISD and 2 or 3 support ships. Imagine a ruleset where we could field 4-6 Star Destroyers + numerous support vessels. They would have tripled their sales.

10 minutes ago, Do I need a Username said:

OR they are accidentally telling the truth because of pure guesswork, which is more reasonable than them having a secret insider source in FFG.

That'd be lying, option B. Lying about the certainty of their information - if they're just guessing, they're lying.

8 minutes ago, Do I need a Username said:

If they cancel the game, they will announce it well in advance.

I really hope not.  I got on board about a year ago, and I am irritated that I did no get on board sooner!

I even got some gaming buddies to get into it too.

I really like this game, and would love to see some longevity to it.

1 minute ago, Lord Tareq said:

I think they made a mistake when they decided to make 'Armada' a small skirmish game with micromanagement in the form of uncountable upgrades per ship and a ton of squadrons with special rules. As an Imperial player you only need 2 ISD's or 1 ISD and 2 or 3 support ships. Imagine a ruleset where we could field 4-6 Star Destroyers + numerous support vessels. They would have tripled their sales.

I mean, the SSD will add that, and we can do what we want with our minis.  Monster Trucks is a thing.

1 minute ago, Lord Tareq said:

Or priced themselves out of a reasonably attainable game, if you were to assume they were the same size and cost ships as now...