voltagejim

Got my Empire conversion kit, missing sever pilots!

Got my Empire conversion kit int he mail and was going through the cards and replacing my 1.0 pilot cards, and noticed first it is missing SEVERAL Imperial pilot cards.  TIE Fighter pilots, a Decimator pilot, TIE Interceptor, TIE Punisher, etc.  I mean it's actually quite a lot it is missing.  Did I get a defective kit?

Also I noticed that it is very hard to figure out on some if they simply changed the name or if it supposed to be a whole new pilot.  Take for instance, the TIE Striker pilot card "Scarif Defense",  In the conversion kit there is a pilot card called "Planetary Sentienel" and has the same picture.  I assume that is the new name for it?  Another example:  the TIE INterceptor pilot "Saber Squadron Pilot"  in the kit there is 'Saber squadron Ace".  Are they now Ace's?    Another one that took me forever to figure out was "Lieutenant Sai".  In 1.0, there is a "Captin Yorr" card with the same picture, so eventually I just put the "Sai card over the "Yorr" one figuring that maybe "Captain Yorr is no longer the name"

8 minutes ago, voltagejim said:

Got my Empire conversion kit int he mail and was going through the cards and replacing my 1.0 pilot cards, and noticed first it is missing SEVERAL Imperial pilot cards.  TIE Fighter pilots, a Decimator pilot, TIE Interceptor, TIE Punisher, etc.  I mean it's actually quite a lot it is missing.  Did I get a defective kit?

Also I noticed that it is very hard to figure out on some if they simply changed the name or if it supposed to be a whole new pilot.  Take for instance, the TIE Striker pilot card "Scarif Defense",  In the conversion kit there is a pilot card called "Planetary Sentienel" and has the same picture.  I assume that is the new name for it?  Another example:  the TIE INterceptor pilot "Saber Squadron Pilot"  in the kit there is 'Saber squadron Ace".  Are they now Ace's?    Another one that took me forever to figure out was "Lieutenant Sai".  In 1.0, there is a "Captin Yorr" card with the same picture, so eventually I just put the "Sai card over the "Yorr" one figuring that maybe "Captain Yorr is no longer the name"

Not everything and everyone was ported over to second edition. Here is the list of everything in the conversion kit so just double check you have everything on this list.

http://xwing-miniatures-second-edition.wikia.com/wiki/Galactic_Empire_Conversion_Kit

16 minutes ago, voltagejim said:

So how do you convert the other pilots from 1.0?

You dont. Only the pilots in the conversion kit and future expansions are legal in 2.0.

Think of it as a new game. The are new crew as well, and "old" crew with new abilities - some even considered to be unnatural. 

Edited by RedHotDice

19 minutes ago, voltagejim said:

You aren’t converting pilots, you are converting ships. 

As more ships get full full updates to 2.0 they will get more pilots. We have been told that there will be a way to buy those cards without buying extra miniatures, but so far we don’t know what that is going to look like. 

Edited by Forgottenlore

1 hour ago, mazz0 said:

That reminds me - there actually are missing cards in my conversion kit (there's the base token but no card), I should get on to FFG about that.

They skimped out on some stuff like not giving enough Z-95 ship cards/bases. You can field three but not all of the same generic or the large base ships where they give you two dials but effectively only a single expansion's worth of bases. 

1 hour ago, Animewarsdude said:

They skimped out on some stuff like not giving enough Z-95 ship cards/bases. You can field three but not all of the same generic or the large base ships where they give you two dials but effectively only a single expansion's worth of bases. 

I love how we got 3 each of the generic TAP pilots but only 2 of the Interceptor ones...

2 hours ago, Animewarsdude said:

There's at least one unique I'm missing the card for.  I forget the name, it was one of the TIE Advanced pilots.

Yeah my OCD is going crazy because of this.  No Avenger Squad pilot, Black eight squad pilot, Onyx squad pilot, Fel's Wrath, Valen Rudo, Dark Curse, Backstabber, Winged Gundark, Commander kenkirk, ANY of the Slave 1 imperial pilots, ANY of the Assault carrier pilots,  and even though I do not own he Raider, looks like NONE of the Raider pilots

39 minutes ago, mazz0 said:

There's at least one unique I'm missing the card for.  I forget the name, it was one of the TIE Advanced pilots.

As @HolySorcerer said the new pilots for 2.0 are included in a little baggie with their ship bases. So for the Empire that should be the new advanced pilot and a couple tie fighter pilots from Inferno Squadron. 

1 hour ago, impspy said:

I love how we got 3 each of the generic TAP pilots but only 2 of the Interceptor ones...

Yea, it is a bit crazy...especially when I only have 2 TAPs but 8 Interceptors and it certainly seems like even with card packs they won't include any maneuver dial stuff with them so you have to buy bits from other people or buy multiple conversion kits to field certain ships if you flew them in swarms in 1.0.

1 minute ago, voltagejim said:

Yeah my OCD is going crazy because of this.  No Avenger Squad pilot, Black eight squad pilot, Onyx squad pilot, Fel's Wrath, Valen Rudo, Dark Curse, Backstabber, Winged Gundark, Commander kenkirk, ANY of the Slave 1 imperial pilots, ANY of the Assault carrier pilots,  and even though I do not own he Raider, looks like NONE of the Raider pilots

Some generics were just removed from the game, or renamed. Valen Rudor was put in the Tie Fighter instead, and is in the new Core Set if I remember correctly. Fel's Wrath, Winged Gundark, Dark Curse, Commander Kenkirk and Backstabber were all removed from the game with Backstabber being a bit annoying considering that you can't field Vader with his two wingmen from Yavin anymore. They made an effort to remove cross faction pilots, so the Firespray is purely a Scum ship now. And as for the epic stuff it wasn't converted in these kits, they will supposedly do epic conversion kits at a later time. We can hope they might add some more pilots to the epic conversions but at the same time they would force people to buy those expansions for those pilots so they might try to not do that. 

18 hours ago, voltagejim said:

The conversion kits were designed with engineered obsolescence in mind, where key pilots and upgrades for the ships you own will only be playable by purchasing future expansions.  think "Ace" and "veteran" packs from 1.0.   they want to make sure 1.0 players cant just play what they own competitively in the future without buying repeatedly

7 hours ago, voltagejim said:

****, I'm gonna have to spend almost $200 to convert every faction, plus epic conversion, PLUS get the new core set...

You have to get the core set for the damage deck and updated templates. Alternatively though I guess you could get a template set from Etsy with the new lines added to them and buy a damage deck from Ebay or from someone at your LFGS. 

And yea it sucks to an extent for people who have large collections I'd recommend that unless you feel you need extra conversion kits to field lists you want to fly at the moment it might just be best to keep an eye on sales like Black Friday and the like and pick them up when they are on sale. Speaking of... Barnes and Nobles on their website is doing a deal at the moment where if you get something from their games section you can get another game item at 50%, and then you can stack on their 20% discount ontop of that, and yes the conversion kits fall under that discount. That would let you get 2 conversion kits for $60. This deal only lasts tonight though.

im waiting before i buy in. imperials and scum. ill end up with both kits as these are the two strongest factions right now.

not interested in rebels really. would only buy it for the moldy crow title and then sell the rest. rebels just not seeing much play at my place.

On 11/25/2018 at 1:13 AM, Forgottenlore said:

As more ships get full full updates to 2.0 they will get more pilots.

Or not.

The Rebel Y-Wing has seen both its Con Kit and it's 2.0 blister, and it is still at a lame collection of pilots.  Where are all the Episode IV pilots?

15 hours ago, Vontoothskie said:

The conversion kits were designed with engineered obsolescence in mind, where key pilots and upgrades for the ships you own will only be playable by purchasing future expansions.  think "Ace" and "veteran" packs from 1.0.   they want to make sure 1.0 players cant just play what they own competitively in the future without buying repeatedly

All evidence points to that not being the case.

Both the tie striker and scum z-95 packs anounced have 0 new content over the conversion kits.

I know your hatred of second edition is strong, but try not to make **** up with 0 evidence other then trying to justify your own opinions.

(This could change in the future, but it looks so far like they are not doing that.)

3 hours ago, Darth Meanie said:

Or not.

The Rebel Y-Wing has seen both its Con Kit and it's 2.0 blister, and it is still at a lame collection of pilots.  Where are all the Episode IV pilots?

The Y-Wing has what seems to be  the new standard number of pilots. And it's still more than it had in 1e. Wtf are you talking about?

1 hour ago, Icelom said:

All evidence points to that not being the case.

Both the tie striker and scum z-95 packs anounced have 0 new content over the conversion kits.

Not really. 

The Scum Z and TIE Striker are both outliers that I'm pretty sure were thrown in to wave 2 to get them out the way quickly. 

Firstly, the TIE Striker was a late 1e ship, and in general the later 1e ships are much closer to their 2e counterparts anyway. A lot of the work 2e did was to cleans up the design space that had been opened up in clunky ways by being bolted on to 1e. Adaptive Ailerons are basically unchanged, but are now written in more cleanly as a ship ability, for example. 

The TIE Striker also had more than the usual number of pilots for a small base expansion, and also unusually all of them made it into the conversion kit mostly unchanged. 

The TIE Striker expansion didn't need any new content as a result. Indeed, although the upgrade itself isn't new the 2e expansion now comes with a device - Conner Nets. This is something it couldn't even equip in 1e, so the expansion still has more in it than the 1e counterpart and is more 'complete'.

The Z-95 doesn't really represent a pattern or standard either. It was never released as a standalone before. I think we're seeing it now just so that it can perform its function as a filler release for a filler ship. 

Again, it doesn't need any new content compared with the conversion kit. 

I'm a little disappointed they couldn't come up with two new pilots to bring it up to the new standard of 4 named pilots, 2 generics (see T-65, TIE Advanced, Y-Wing, Fang Fighter) but it's not that big a deal. It's a ship that's been ported from 1e where it was ported from another faction to quickly get Scum up to speed in terms of ship count. 

There's a reason the A-Wing, B-Wing and TIE Interceptor only have two named pilots each in the kit when they all had more than that in 1e. That's actively cutting down their rosters, which hasn't happened to either the Scum Z or TIE Striker. 

They're definitely getting new pilots in their standalone releases. 

3 hours ago, Darth Meanie said:

Or not.

Well lets see...

We got Evaan Verlaine who was a Leia comic character and has been retconned to be the Y-Wing pilot that survives the battle of Yavin replacing Keyan Farlander who filled that role in the old EU. 

default card

Then we have Dutch Vander, our good ol' favorite gold leader.

default card

From the first episode of the OT to the last we have Grey Leader from the Battle of Endor and being from 1st edition it makes sense he would be ported over.

default card

And lastly again from Endor we have Norra Wexely who was mostly known for flying a Y-Wing, and is a new canon character that was being pushed and is decently relevant considering she is 'Snap' Wexely's mother.

default card

At least we have 2 pilots from Yavin, though I hope at some point we get 'Pops' and Tiree.

59 minutes ago, Animewarsdude said:

Well lets see...

We got Evaan Verlaine who was a Leia comic character and has been retconned to be the Y-Wing pilot that survives the battle of Yavin replacing Keyan Farlander who filled that role in the old EU. 

default card

Then we have Dutch Vander, our good ol' favorite gold leader.

default card

From the first episode of the OT to the last we have Grey Leader from the Battle of Endor and being from 1st edition it makes sense he would be ported over.

default card

And lastly again from Endor we have Norra Wexely who was mostly known for flying a Y-Wing, and is a new canon character that was being pushed and is decently relevant considering she is 'Snap' Wexely's mother.

default card

At least we have 2 pilots from Yavin, though I hope at some point we get 'Pops' and Tiree.

Yeah, I actually have no idea who these women are without your help.

And how can you retcon a pilot out of existence??  They couldn't come up with other unused number in the Gold series? Poor Keyan.

I would have liked to have seen Tiree finally in the game, as well as Pops.  Plus some other pilots from the Battle of Scarif.

1 hour ago, GuacCousteau said:

The Y-Wing has what seems to be  the new standard number of pilots.

I hope FFG doesn't consider the Y-Wing "done."

It completely lame to be unable to build squadrons with the heroes from the movies and lore.

Edited by Darth Meanie

24 minutes ago, Darth Meanie said:

Yeah, I actually have no idea who these women are without your help.

And how can you retcon a pilot out of existence??  They couldn't come up with other unused number in the Gold series? Poor Keyan.

I would have liked to have seen Tiree finally in the game, as well as Pops.  Plus some other pilots from the Battle of Scarif.

They didn't really retcon a pilot but rather an entire continuity. I don't think Keyan even exists at this point, even if I hope he will be added back to the B-Wing when it is rereleased. Heck, I just found out today that Hobbie in the new canon dies at Hoth by crashing into a downed AT-AT rather than going on to do all the stuff he did in the old EU. I hope we will get Hobbie at some point but that be a point against him, as well as there being lots of X-Wing pilots already thanks to Saw's rebels, though I guess his one plus is that he was in Rebels. 

Well, Evaan and Dutch are technically Scarif pilots since they both participated in that battle too.