HeMandolorian

critical damage home-brew rules

Our group's GM thinks that critical damage is under powered, so his home-brew rule is that critical damage just adds up. the problem is a character will often die after taking two critical hits.

I do think critical damage is normally a little under powered because it seems pretty difficult to be killed by it in one encounter, and if you survive an encounter it is pretty easy to heal up critical damage.

our GM said we could change the rules, and I want to but I don't what we should do to balance critical damage. does anyone have an Idea on how we could balance it.

51 minutes ago, Rimsen said:

I wouldn't say it's easy. My group lacks medic (or Int based PC) so they pretty much have to pay for it always, and have to find ways / time to regenerate. 

Yes, this. 

Also, it's not hard to rack up a couple crits in one session. And if the enemy decides to whip out their trusty disruptor or vibro-axe, it's not hard to get into the high numbers on the crit table.

@HeMandolorian, I want to make sure I'm understanding you correctly. Are you saying the crit damage adds up as in, you get a 30 this time, that means the next roll adds 30 instead of the usual 10? 

On 11/24/2018 at 11:02 AM, HeMandolorian said:

I do think critical damage is normally a little under powered because it seems pretty difficult to be killed by it in one encounter, and if you survive an encounter it is pretty easy to heal up critical damage.

Healing critical damage isn't hard, but takes time.  Unless you have a bacta tank, you are only allowed to heal 1 critical injury per week.

42 minutes ago, Edgookin said:

Healing critical damage isn't hard, but takes time.  Unless you have a bacta tank, you are only allowed to heal 1 critical injury per week.

Actually, it's not that bad, it's only 1 attempt per critical injury per week.

Even so, our tank managed to rack up 6 critical injuries in two fights in one day, and the party doesn't yet have a medkit or much in the way of funds!

1 hour ago, the mercenary said:

Also, it's not hard to rack up a couple crits in one session. And if the enemy decides to whip out their trusty disruptor or vibro-axe, it's not hard to get into the high numbers on the crit table.

I can confirm this. The groups first session (choose your obligation AKA get a ship) they wanted to play high stakes sabacc with a spoiled irritating high-class brat. When they lost and refused to hand over the prizes, the bodyguards stepped in. This is where it got interesting. I used my adversary cards to present 2 rivals. The marauder PC engaged in knife-fight, but he got a big hit and swapped to blaster so did the Rival. On the card it had a Distruptor Pistol (i didn't notice before) and went through it. After some nasty crits (3 or 4 i think) the spy got the brat on knife-point and made him let them go, but they ha e learnt to fear the Vicious keyword ;)

I'd say crits are fine as is. I accidentally blew one of my players' legs off yesterday in what was meant to be a relatively minor encounter building up toward the major encounter of the night. My player got hit with the "overpowered" critical hit, then the free attack generated by that critical generated the "maimed" critical. It was pretty brutal, and totally changed the course of the night's game.

On 11/27/2018 at 3:21 PM, Underachiever599 said:

I'd say crits are fine as is. I accidentally blew one of my players' legs off yesterday in what was meant to be a relatively minor encounter building up toward the major encounter of the night. My player got hit with the "overpowered" critical hit, then the free attack generated by that critical generated the "maimed" critical. It was pretty brutal, and totally changed the course of the night's game.

Agreed.  All of our characters have been maimed at one point.  We had one PC lose an eye, another lost an arm, my character has a horrific scar across his torso from when he was almost bisected by a vibro-axe.  It's sufficiently brutal without being something that kills people off every session.