Marioosh

Will lowering power of creature to 0 kill this creature?

6 minutes ago, dbmeboy said:

See, this is where we disagree.  I don't see the damage rules implying any sort of timing.  They just say:

DAMAGE

Damage a creature has taken is tracked by placing damage tokens on the creature. If a creature has an amount of damage on it equal to or greater than its power, the creature is destroyed.

Nothing in that seems to indicate a timing point for checking for destruction to me.  It tells you how damage is tracked and in what state (damage>=power) a creature is destroyed.

1) Damaging effect (fight, action, triggered constant ability).

2) Track damage - distribute damage tokens.

3) Compare damage to power. Is damage >= power?

a. If yes, creature is destroyed; place it in discard pile.

b. If no, active player resumes their turn.

The BRB spells it out in sentences rather than numbered steps, but the outline is clearly there. 

3 minutes ago, ornithologist said:

Hey, they put this ruling on the stickied thread. first one!

Yeah, my specific message that Brad ended up receiving was "Please help us ASAP, before the forums devolve into further chaos!" 

Keepin' it civil. Keepin' it civil...

Edited by WonderWAAAGH

4 minutes ago, WonderWAAAGH said:

1) Damaging effect (fight, action, triggered constant ability).

2) Track damage - distribute damage tokens.

3) Compare damage to power. Is damage >= power?

a. If yes, creature is destroyed; place it in discard pile.

b. If no, active player resumes their turn.

The BRB spells it out in sentences rather than numbered steps, but the outline is clearly there. 

While I see:

-Sentence talking about how any and all damage a creature has accumulated at any point in time is tracked (nothing resembling your step 1 and not really step 2)

-State based statement for constantly checking amount of damage vs power.

For whatever it's worth, if you interpret it as a timing step, reducing a creature to 2 power (for example) that already had 2 damage would also not destroy the creature because the destruction is tied to a timing step.  While things could certainly be done that way, I didn't see anyone arguing for that case (which would make 0 damage/0 power not just a corner case).

Anyways, it's pretty clear we're not going to interpret that paragraph the same way so probably not worth continuing to clog up the board.  Have a great day. 🙂

1 hour ago, debiant said:

Well, it's good to have a ruling. As I said before, I would have preferred to have the ability to have 0 power creatures, but I guess it wasn't meant to be. 

That would just be... weird. Why do you want a 0 power creature? It wouldn't make sense with power = damage and would just be confusing.

Note that they can still do creatures that don't deal any damage (such as shadow self or ether spider).

I think you just got yourself confused @wonderWAAGH. There are some concepts that you have conflated. The state of undamaged vs damaged, and the concept of an amount of damage. The amount of damage is the "base" state. A creature will have power, armor, and an amount of damage. These are all scalar values - each can be a range of numbers. Power is tracked by the printed power + any power modifications in play. Same with armor. The amount of damage is tracked as the number of damage tokens on a creature.

There is also the concept of a damaged and an undamaged creature. This is binary, but more than that, it is not an independent state from the other values. It is dependent on those values. "Damaged" has been defined as a creature whose "amount of damage" is 1 or more. So it is sectioning off a range of possible values.

Undamaged = [<1 damage on a creature]; damaged = [>=1 damage on a creature]

Finally, integrating the explicit ruling, when should a creature be destroyed? (Immediately) when damage >= power.

At any time, you can count the number of damage tokens on a creature. If you get a number greater than zero, you can consider the creature damaged. You can also determine whether or not the creature should be destroyed. Did I count the same number of damage (or more) as the creature's current power? (And yes, we know for certain you start at zero). If so, the creature is now destroyed. This could happen with mushroom man for instance, if the player forges a key and he already had damage. There are other scenarios: if someone blows up your banner of battle or round table, if staunch knight is no longer on a flank (same with shoulder armor), if niffle queen dies, etc.

Hope it helps. It is always nice to get an official confirmation from the devs too. And enjoy the game :)

Best part of the Official Ruling is that they didn't actually any specific clarification or would be additions to the rules.

They literally just took the specific references from this specific thread and went with it.

4 minutes ago, Talamare said:

Best part of the Official Ruling is that they didn't actually any specific clarification or would be additions to the rules.

They literally just took the specific references from this specific thread and went with it.

All they really need to do is add one line of text to the “damage” section and I’ll be satisfied. This needs to be a rule, not a FAQ entry.