Sign in to follow this  
Adanaz

Library Access and no cards in deck

Hello,

If I play Library Access,  play a Logos card, go to draw and there are no cards in my deck, (a) do I shuffle the discard pile and make my fresh deck then draw a card?  Or (b) can I not do that as it is mid-effect?

I tried searching it here, but couldn't find anything.  However, I seem to recall reading something somewhere that (b) was correct, but can't remember or find it.

Thanks!

Found it

"If a player needs to draw cards (during this step or at any other time) 
and cannot because their deck is empty, that player shuffles their 
discard pile to reset their deck, and then continues to draw."

Nothing in the rules suggests that other effects/triggers/mechancis can't be executed mid-effect. In fact, the FAQ entry about Wild Wormhole shows that effects can trigger and resolve while another effect is resolving.

The Discard Pile glossary entry in the rulebook says: "When a player runs out of cards in their deck and are required to draw, they shuffle their discard pile to create a new deck."

You do it when you need to draw and there are no cards in your deck.

STEP 5: DRAW CARDS

The active player draws cards from the top of their deck until they have six cards in their hand. After a player completes this step, their turn ends.

If the active player has more than six cards in hand, they do not discard down to six.

If a player needs to draw cards (during this step or at any other time)and cannot because their deck is empty, that player shuffles theirdiscard pile to reset their deck, and then continues to draw.

When a player’s turn ends, if that player has enough Æmber in their pool to afford a key, the player announces “Check!” so that their opponent knows the forging of a key at the start of that player’s next turn is imminent.

So yes it is possibile to shuffle your discard pile, form the "new" deck and draw because of library access.

10 hours ago, Adanaz said:

I tried searching it here, but couldn't find anything.  However, I seem to recall reading something somewhere that (b) was correct, but can't remember or find it.

I suspect you are confusing it with the ruling for Wild Wormhole...where if you play Wild Wormhole and have no cards in your deck, you do NOT shuffle and draw, because you don't draw the card then play it, you just play it. 

2 hours ago, blinkingline said:

I suspect you are confusing it with the ruling for Wild Wormhole...where if you play Wild Wormhole and have no cards in your deck, you do NOT shuffle and draw, because you don't draw the card then play it, you just play it. 

Ah, missed that. Always learning...

8 hours ago, blinkingline said:

Aha, yes! This is where the confusion arose. Thanks blinkingline 😄