Sign in to follow this  
Captain Weather

The Overnight Report - Polish Nationals

8 hours ago, Captain Weather said:

Very long overdue but here is my Overnight Report for Polish Nationals!

https://intelsweep.wordpress.com/2018/11/22/the-overnight-report-polish-nationals/ 

THX for report

I didnt have time to check other lists during Nationals.

I cannot give my true name as I work in weird place requiring not showing up on internet with my personal data till 2027 ;)

You're mostly correct in your assumptions about my list. Also, of course I was inspired by Ginkapo's Euro list. Not only did he win swiss in a spectacular fashion, I was almost certain he would crush me in the semi-final and was quite surprised my desperate attempts to keep my squadrons alive actually worked.  I learned a lot from that game and decided to try something like that myself - except I went all in on Phantoms. They really are underrated (the first time I asked a friend if he could lend me a couple of them so I could test my list his answer was more or less "Sure. But why?"). They're fragile and require careful play but they're incredibly versatile and potent against all targets. Sloane's ability to reroll crits effectively increases their damage by about 25% and helps a bit with variance.

And yeah, my name could be translated as firefly (also: "will-o'-the-wisp" or "skylight"). Really laughed at "Demon Shoemaker" :D. I guess Czart just got himself a new nickname.

Edited by Lightrock

5 hours ago, Lightrock said:

You're mostly correct in your assumptions about my list. Also, of course I was inspired by Ginkapo's Euro list. Not only did he win swiss in a spectacular fashion, I was almost certain he would crush me in the semi-final and was quite surprised my desperate attempts to keep my squadrons alive actually worked.  I learned a lot from that game and decided to try something like that myself - except I went all in on Phantoms. They really are underrated (the first time I asked a friend if he could lend me a couple of them so I could test my list his answer was more or less "Sure. But why?"). They're fragile and require careful play but they're incredibly versatile and potent against all targets. Sloane's ability to reroll crits effectively increases their damage by about 25% and helps a bit with variance.

And yeah, my name could be translated as firefly (also: "will-o'-the-wisp" or "skylight"). Really laughed at "Demon Shoemaker" :D. I guess Czart just got himself a new nickname.

In theory they are great, but I always roll so **** poorly...like 1 hit on five blue dice. Or have two blank or on a row vs a ship, even with Sloane. I keep trying, using up to 3, but it's a bit depressing really 😂🙈

Edited by Green Knight

1 hour ago, Green Knight said:

In theory they are great, but I always roll so **** poorly...like 1 hit on five blue dice. Or have two blank or on a row vs a ship, even with Sloane. I keep trying, using up to 3, but it's a bit depressing really 😂🙈

Sounds like you need new dice! ;) 

And yeah, their variance is quite high, even with Sloane. Against ships, the damage output of 4 Phantoms is typically between 3 and 7 per round, which is quite a spread. Then again, even the lower of these values is still about what you might expect from 4 blue dice aces on a good day. Also, Maarek+Jendon are super reliable and stabilize the results a lot.

1 hour ago, geek19 said:

Its interesting to me that a lot of people are doing Fighter Ambush with only one VCX or with NO VCXs.  Makes a man think...

The ambush part of FA is more of a liability than opportunity. Even with relay trying  to activate squadrons in turn 1 is a sure way to overextend them and leave them stranded outside the activation range in turn 2. And if you aimed to activate them in turn 2 you could probably position them the old fashioned way.

The strength of FA is the insane capacity to score extra points since it's way easier to do than in case of either precision strike or superior positions. You don't need to get behind the enemy ships, spend dice or roll crits and contain tokens won't help the opponent. Just shoot the enemy ships like you would do anyway and watch the token stack grow. 

15 hours ago, NairoD said:

THX for report

I didnt have time to check other lists during Nationals.

I cannot give my true name as I work in weird place requiring not showing up on internet with my personal data till 2027 ;)

i will say that you make some sweet beats and tunes!

Edited by Irokenics

5 hours ago, Lightrock said:

The ambush part of FA is more of a liability than opportunity. Even with relay trying  to activate squadrons in turn 1 is a sure way to overextend them and leave them stranded outside the activation range in turn 2. And if you aimed to activate them in turn 2 you could probably position them the old fashioned way.

The strength of FA is the insane capacity to score extra points since it's way easier to do than in case of either precision strike or superior positions. You don't need to get behind the enemy ships, spend dice or roll crits and contain tokens won't help the opponent. Just shoot the enemy ships like you would do anyway and watch the token stack grow. 

Holy words

I put it to my bomber swarm only to gather extra points. This objective is still better than CO. I had a game on Nationals tu ta granted me 655 pts on 2 Imperials and demo. When my oponent calculate in First turn how many tokens will farm on him he started to overlap himself to deny tokens... Od he got more luck he will be evean able to table me.